Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:37:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[Today at 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Homer winter king derby  (Read 15424 times)

Akfishin

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
2013, March 23rd. Anyone thinking of trying to do this one?

I've kicked around the idea I must admit...

Dan

2012 Dune Adventure Island

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I'd like to do it
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
I'm interested too... with the usual weather-and-wave reservations.  It would be a fun way to get a jump on the season, and pursue a King before they start issuing EOs. What do we know about Derby rules and registration?

Akfishin

• Lingcod
So their website is here:
http://www.homeralaska.org/content/2013-winter-king-salmon-tournament

Doesn't say you can't fish from a kayak, it's a bit spendy to enter at $100.00. I will give a call down and ensure they wouldn't have an issue with kayakers entering (I just don't see how they would, but they might be concerned about the weather).

Dan

2012 Dune Adventure Island
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 08:17:35 PM by Akfishin »

Akfishin

• Lingcod
So do you have any issues with a few kayakers entering the derby?

"Some what?"

They don't believe there are any issues with kayakers joining in the fun down there. You must have either cell or VHF, collect a number prior to heading out, and check in when you are done fishing for the day as they account all boats are back in safely at the end of the day.

She was going to double check and call me if there were issues, but said if I don't hear back from her, we're good to enter.

dan

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
One of the often used rules that screw the kayakers in these derbies is the rule about having a witness. I guess we could always pair up.

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Akfishin

• Lingcod
Good idea Kard... Even if we all concentrated in the same general area wouldn't be horrible. 

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

I've fished the HWK Derby 3 times but always from a power boat.It is a great time and an awesome way to end the winter blues of fishing Alaska.I'd suggest you guys give it a go.
    Kardinal_84 has fished for kings out of Homer numerous times.He should be your go-to guy.
    There will be a lot of boat traffic so be prepared for wakes and inconsiderate boaters.One of the best aspects of the HWK Derby is that there are prizes for the top 20 fish caught.Typically there are about 8-900 fishermen in 3-400 boats.A lot of side bets happen--so take some cash with you.And have some fun OTW.
      Post up any results if you catch some kings.You have as good a chance as any of the PB's that usually run out to Pogi Point or furthur.Fishing near the "Green Can" can work or go south of the spit toward Elizabeth Island trolling herring should put you on some fish.Best of luck to all that try.Stay warm.
                                Mark

Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

Akfishin

• Lingcod
Definitely want to get kardinal_84 involved. He's got the homer know how sorted out

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Lol.  I don't have any more info than the rest of you folks I don't think.  I do have a few hours trying!

Frankly I have gotten lucky.  I hit the green can just as there were fish there and they stayed for nearly a month  That's not the norm.

For the March derby, we only have the option of fishing the green can or peddle/paddle 3 to 5 miles to get to the south shore and the Islands area.  Unless I can arrange for some kind of water taxi ( I do have a few options) I am fishing the green can and maximizing my time with bait in the water. 

I use a downrigger, but in the green can area, I'd say a lot of the fishing is at 30ft or so down so you can use a diver or LOTS of weight (I'd use 10oz) to get a full sized flasher and herring down to the right depths.

I've posted my trips on here so search "Homer kings" and they will pop up.  I think last year's winner came right off the green can.

Obviously weather dependent but let's do this!  I have them so I may as well use them! A few refresher videos for personal motivation for me!

How we did it off a powerboat.  Most action was by Anchor Point in this Video.  First day was South of Homer in the Islands.

Here's a no fish video of my downrigging system....

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Akfishin

• Lingcod
Yea,  gonna have to use divers, a downrigger is not in the ole budget this year.... Instead the new dry suit was... Lol

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
In 2011, the prize was $30K  for a itsy bitsy 30 pounder!  Well that's actually huge for a feeder king but nevertheless.....

Over 850 anglers on 248 boats...caught only 135 fish.  Rather than being discouraged, I would think that is encouraging.  All it takes is ONE fish.

Here's Jim Lavrakas short video.  Its crazy to see that many boats on the water in March.

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
Damn, 30k? Go get em AK Yakers!

Akfishin

• Lingcod
Grrrr.... Just went thru the calendar and I'm working that weekend.  Talk about cruddy timing...

anything