Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 10:51:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:49:19 AM]

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: South island report  (Read 11876 times)

Rory

• Sturgeon
  • Rory's Internets Audio Blog
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
Oh yeah that's right.  Sweet!
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

tsquared

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Out today for 3 hours around the corner from Cheanuh marina in Becher Bay. There was enough breeze to push the yak along dragging a 10 lb ball off the rigger, with some help from the pedals. Great to be out for the first trip of 2013 but no luck on the salmon, just one bomber.Launching from Cheanuh was a breeze, ramp fee was $4 and it's not far to the winter spring fishing grounds. I tried a cop car spoon as well as a mint tulip glow head hootchie behind a purple haze flasher down at 135 ft on the rigger.
I took some advice from our members and stretched the rubber wrist cuffs on my drysuit with cans of crushed tomatoes and it did the trick--no swelling on my hands after 3 hours in the suit. My fishfinder gave me the following message, "Sonar is turned off." but the plotter worked fine. I'll have to check all my connections and see if I can get the sonar working. Here is a couple of pics from August --I have since put the plotter and antenna forward of the rigger on ram balls. I will try and get an up to date pic up soon.

Note the local boat inspector--he's vain but he works for peanuts.
Cheers,
T2
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 11:11:58 PM by tsquared »

tsquared

• Lingcod
Out tomorrow from Cheanuh marina here in Metchosin for halibut. Great forecast for weather.
T2

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I like your setup. Where can I get the peacock attachment for my down rigger?
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Hah that is an awesome picture
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

tsquared

• Lingcod
 Romanian Redneck--peacock herl works on trout flies--you may have something there.That's Percy--the neighborhood peacock. He showed up about 2 years ago and wanders the neighborhood--the most spoiled bird ever. We'll be having a bbq on the deck with guests and he'll fly down from our roof and land with a thump startling the hell out of people who haven't visited before.
BTW--went out for 3 hours with only 1 rock cod caught--the quest for the elusive halibut continues.
T2

Hillier420

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Fished otter point this morning7-10 must of got into 15 coho!!!! Too bad only one was hatchary!!! Good day!!!!waiting for the pinks
To start coming in

tsquared

• Lingcod
 Well done Hillier! i was out yesterday in my pb--same deal! They are here in great numbers, just like last year.  i have 1 more week of work and then I'm done for the summer--care to wet a line together in July sometime?
BTW--the pinks are already showing--I ran into a friend at Cheanuh yesterday who ran out to the tidelines and they had 6. Pinks and coho in good numbers and it ain't even Canada Day yet ;D
T2
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 07:01:27 PM by tsquared »

Hillier420

• Herring
Just got a new hobie revo 11 and that was my first time out with it and it performed awesome.  Ill be going out most days off weather permitting.  Ot would be good to go with another kayaker.  Where were you fishing?

tsquared

• Lingcod
I was at the Trap shack and Beechey Head but from all reports there are coho everywhere, so Muir or Otter would be good. i'll send you a PM whenever I am going out--company is always great.
T2

Hillier420

• Herring
Sounds good ill do the same

• Date Registered: Jun 2013
Where do you guys lunch your boat at EAST Sooke, never been there fishing with my kayak

tsquared

• Lingcod
I launch in Becher Bay at the old Pacific Lions Marina(can't remember what the name is now) . it is a private marina but they will let kayakers launch there. Please be careful going out towards Beechey Head as there can be huge rips, tidal whirlpools and standing waves. I look on my current atlas and check Big Wave Dave for wind before going. I caught some nice springs there last August tho.
T2

Hillier420

• Herring
Went out for an hour before the winds picked up at becher bay picked up one big pink and a clipped coho!!! Not bad for and hour

tsquared

• Lingcod
Nice work Hillier! i finished my last little bit of work today for 6 weeks so I should have plenty of time for yakkin. I am tied up with family stuff and the VI music festival until next week, then I'm good to go, if you want  partner. Where did you launch from?
T2 

anything