Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:49:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 26, 2024, 08:38:44 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Laketroller Downrigger Mount on Inflatable (such as Hobie i11s)?  (Read 1781 times)

jared_j

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Dec 2023
I want to mount a Scotty Laketroller on a Hobie i11s or similar (still deciding which inflatable to get) via some kind of mount directly to the inflatable surface (as opposed to mounted to some other structure that is then mounted / secured to the yak).  Is this realistic? 

My thinking was to use a mount designed for adhesive (something as a YakAttack MightyMount Switch).  I'm uncertain if an adhesive mount will be sufficient for the forces of a downrigger. 

kredden

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
I would not recommend trying to put a downrigger on an inflatible.  Even with a small ball they are going to concentrate a lot of force on a small area, for this same reason I don't recommend doing this on hard hull kayaks using plastic t-nut rails.

The only way I would even consider trying to do this on a Hobie i-series or itrek is I think I've seen where some folks have mounted h-rails on them and I'd do that and then mount the downrigger on a cross brace that goes across the hull and ties into both h-rails.  Pretty invasive install but at least then you'd be spreading the forces across the four corner mount points of the two rails.  Doing this I wouldn't use anything bigger than a Scotty LakeTroller with a 3lb ball at most.

Kevin

kemfish

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Apr 2021
I started with a lake troller mounted on the track of my Old town.  Lot of flexing and bouncing, didn't like.  Now have a uni-troll (probably overkill, but it retrieves fast) on a V-lock mount bolted to the hull.  Much better.

Highly recommend the most solid connection to the hull you can to handle the bouncing weight.  I'm not sure you could do this with a direct mount to the inflatable.  Probably need some kind of mounting platform that gets strapped down.  I know that is not what you want to do.  I fished from an inflatable for a couple years and this is how I had things like my rod holder and transducer mounted.  I would also really evaluate how you're going to travel.  An inflatable fits in a smaller place (somewhat and still not small,  picture a fairly large trunk or suitcase), but a roof rack isn't too intrusive and hard kayaks are way more fishable than inflatables.  (no direct experience with the Hobie pedal ones though)
Keith

Old Town Sportsman 106 PDL

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I started with a lake troller mounted on the track of my Old town.  Lot of flexing and bouncing, didn't like.  Now have a uni-troll (probably overkill, but it retrieves fast) on a V-lock mount bolted to the hull.  Much better.

Highly recommend the most solid connection to the hull you can to handle the bouncing weight.  I'm not sure you could do this with a direct mount to the inflatable.  Probably need some kind of mounting platform that gets strapped down.  I know that is not what you want to do.  I fished from an inflatable for a couple years and this is how I had things like my rod holder and transducer mounted.  I would also really evaluate how you're going to travel.  An inflatable fits in a smaller place (somewhat and still not small,  picture a fairly large trunk or suitcase), but a roof rack isn't too intrusive and hard kayaks are way more fishable than inflatables.  (no direct experience with the Hobie pedal ones though)

The old town tracks are not the strongest. Enough for a rod holder no doubt but a downrigger is definitely pushing it for sure. You can buy aftermarket replacement tracks that are significantly more stout... Likely you would tear out the hull rivnuts before breaking these. Quite pricey though. https://pacificyakangler.com/collections/custom-old-town-replacement-parts/products/custom-aluminum-rails-for-old-town-pdl-120-106
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

kemfish

• Perch
Those do look nice.  May have to see if there's a budget for a kayak upgrade.  I agree the Old Town tracks do seem a bit floppy.

Still want a really solid base for a downriver.  Not sure a glued patch on an inflatable is good enough.
Keith

BentRod

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I don't see an inflatable having enough support for a DR.  Maybe if you had some sort of frame that was supported by the surface area of the kayak it might be possible (have seen DRs mounted on pontoon frames), but would probably take some DIY engineering.  I'm sure it's possible, but can't say advisable. 

jared_j

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Dec 2023
Thanks all for the advice!

kemfish

• Perch
Nothing new to add about downriver mounting, but...

I did get a set of aluminum tracks to replace my Old Town's stock ones.  Makes a noticeable difference in the rigidity of the mounts.  Have a rod holder and Garmin 93 on one rail and they aren't bouncing at all (unless a fish is on, then the holder bounces).  Didn't use the ones Matt M linked, went with some Ketch ones which were cheaper bit still pricy.  Nice upgrade if your stock rails are as steady as you'd like
Keith

anything