Forum > Don't Ask Me How I Know

My first hulli/yard sale

(1/5) > >>

Ling ling, Herro?:
It finally happened, and it came without much warning.
I wanted to take the shortcut back to Sunset and decided to cross over the sandbar at Squaw Island. As I approached the beach I paid close attention to see if the swell was breaking in the shallows. Everything looked good so I started heading in slowly. The surf was breaking right on the sandbar so I didn't expect any trouble. Then suddenly...a tiny little breaker sends me into the water.
When I popped up I immediately flipped my kayak and assessed the damage.
One Plano box full of jigs, GoPro monopod/flag pole, water bottle and 50lb spool of mono leader all floating in the surf zone. I'm still not sure how the other Plano boxes in my milk crate didn't dump. I was relieved to see that none of my three rods were broken.

I met up that day with a newbie kayak fishermen and one of the first things he asked me before we launched is if I had ever flipped my kayak. My reply "Not yet".
That bastard cursed me! Haha...

At the end of the video you can see the newbie paddling his ass off to get to shore.  ;D

IslandHoppa:
Welcome to the club, nice vid.

Mark Collett:
  Ling Ling herro,

Good job on getting back upright. You were so close---yet so far away................

I have been there done that more times than I am willing to admit on an open forum. You were lucky that you didn't lose more stuff that you did.

Have to say something about the size of that monster wave.........or not,

I will be kind.......but keep the videos flowing. Gotta love a cool huli. Welcome to reality.

Ling ling, Herro?:
I'm not sure how it caught me like that. I'm glad it happened near the beach and not in open water. I've practiced for it but I would prefer it not to happen.
I know I'm not perfect and my clumsiness is always there to keep me level headed. I'm not sure there's much to learn from this. It's probably more for the laugh.

polepole:
Keep practicing.  It looks to me like the first thing you did was let go of your paddle with the left hand and reach down to the water with your right hand (instincts told you to do it).  Not saying you are a newbie, but this is a typical reaction of newbies is this sort of situation.  From this armchair   ::) , it looks like you may have been able to brace yourself out of that one.  Practice, practice, practice, until your instincts tell you to reach your paddle out and brace.

-Allen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version