Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 02:05:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:50:32 PM]

[Today at 01:10:00 PM]

[Today at 11:40:28 AM]

[Today at 10:55:19 AM]

[Today at 10:49:19 AM]

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Marine Goop and Styrofoam are not compatible  (Read 5179 times)

Stackofhay

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
Unless you want to slowly melt Styrofoam...and yes the back of the Marine Goop package said not to bond Styrofoam.  Some of us like to learn the hard way!   ::)

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
 :laughing4:

You ought to see what happens when you try to stick a hot coat of fiberglass resin to it. 

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Why is it that I don't find topics like this until it is to late and I learn the hard way? ::)

Since I can't seem to find dense cell foam to the size I need, I will next try the RTV/styrafoam combination.
I got a free remnant of styrafoam house insulation from my local ACE hardware store, but a whole sheet of it would have been cheep also.

A pool noodle will not work because the new"Down Immaging" transducer is much longer. I would need a piece that is at least 7" long.

Erik
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Try an appliance store for closed cell foam or, next time you're out this way, stop by and I'll give you a chunk.

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
The "kneeling pads" sold at garden centers are closed cell foam.  Some are on the thin side but I found some at Wilco that were thick enough and less then $10

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
K. Jr used schedule 80 pvc, which the goop also started to melt. He saved his install by a few wraps of duct tape that held the shape of the pvc until the goop set up.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
+1 on the Garden kneeling pads. 

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
OK... I found some foam that will work. It's not "dense cell" or "closed cell" but it is actually firm foam. I'll add pics as I'm probably "pioneering" the Down Immaging I transducer kayak "through hull" mount being that its so new to the market.

I had another idea though. Has anybody just tried to use spray foam? There would be no need for Marine goop and it could form the puck that holds the TD and the water.

As a matter of fact I'm thinking of getting several cans to add flotation to the ends of my T13 instead of being stuffed full of pool noodles anyway.

Erik
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

cjb

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
Assuming I'm thinking about the right type of spray foam, it probably is more work than its worth.  I was considering getting some low density pourable polyurethane foam to add some permanent flotation to the bow and stern of my boat like you suggested.  After reading some previous experiences people have had doing just that on other forums (north cal I think) I concluded it was too much of a mess.  I also couldn't really think of an easy way to work around the rudder controls if I were to add the stuff to the stern.
-Craig

'12 Red Hobie Revo 11
"Red Rocket"

kiawanda jr

K. Jr used schedule 80 pvc, which the goop also started to melt. He saved his install by a few wraps of duct tape that held the shape of the pvc until the goop set up.

sorry lb that was only sch 20 drain pipe, it was easy to cut and form to the hull. i think sch 40 would withstand the goop, but have not tested it yet.
i would just say no to spray foam. it will not adhere to your hull for any length of time and is a sponge for H20

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Foams by their nature encapsulate air or chemical vapor.  Not sure that is good to shoot through. 
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com