Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 03:16:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:31:18 AM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Things I've lost...  (Read 5707 times)

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Well, I didn't lose any of my gear from my kayak today (my rescue paddle went overboard but my leash was attached so no foul there) but I do have to report three things I did lose:

1. A massive rainbow which was likely close to 10 lbs (yeah, I know, it's always the one that got away). But seriously, it was a very large breeder in a lake which was stocked 2 weeks ago with fish averaging 10 pounds. As a rookie angler I fumbled my net (again, second time in 3 days) and as I had it within about 3 feet of my net it spit the lure. Sad part is I spent a half hour last night sitting in my kayak as it was on the trailer in my driveway practicing netting fish, I know, pretty pathetic. I had come up with a great location to hold my net except that when the kayak was in the water instead of on the trailer it hung up when I needed it, causing me to lose a great first AOTY fish.

2. My GoPro had been taping for about 3 hours and ran out of battery power so I got no joy in at least seeing the fish on instant replay. Right after I replaced the battery my fishing partner Jason landed a nice 16 incher which looked like a midget compared to the one I lost. I think he was as bummed as I was about losting that one, he just kept groaning about it.

3. As I pulled my kayak up to the staging area to unload my gear back into the car I neglected to lash it to the trailer (first time I've ever forgotten that) and, as I'm coming up a slight rise, a pickup who'd been sitting there for hours decided now was a perfect time to back up right in front of me. I stop and wait for him to move and when I gently accelerate up the incline my boat slides gracefully into the gravel.

So I lost a fish, a photo and a kayak in one day...could be a NWKA record.

That's my last fishing trip for NWKA until February as I'm heading to CA for a few days to visit my kids and then taking my bride on a cruise to the western Caribbean, maybe I'll catch a fish worthy of reporting there.

Fish well my brothers...

iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Plastic lattice good n' slippery, eh? Not a bad idea. I might put a roller bar on the rear of my 4' x 8' flatbed trailer. I'm painting the plywood bed with urethane floor paint. Pretty tough stuff, but slick when wet. I'm going to refinish the bottom of my 10' mini-drifter with Coat It (epoxy finish resin with graphite in it). When the trailer is done and the hull refinished, I'll have a pretty slick setup!

Before blasting back up the ramp with my yak loaded on my canoe trailer, I remember to clip a line from the trailer onto the bow grab handle so I don't "lose it" on the way up. I just hate to be boat ramp entertainment! :D
ConeHeadMuddler

DTS

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
IslandHoppa that was funny!  Thanks for sharing.

Well I lost my first item, a pair of awesome Harbor Freight Scissors. Had them on my lap when I brushed them off into the water with my tackle box. Oh well, guess it is a good excuse for me to visit one of my favorite stores.  Sad thing is I usually end up coming home with more than I actually needed.  :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 02:37:42 AM by DTS »
PROGRESS IS JUST BEING THERE!

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Someday things just down work out.  I hope you were at least able to laugh when your kayak slid off the trailer.
Have a great trip.

fishnut

• Salmon
  • 1st Recipient of 2012 A$$hat Award
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Lately, it's been my eyesight, brain and wife/yak partner(she 1st got me in a yak 9 yrs ago)
Actually on a Pink run to Edmonds last summer with some of you I knocked over a lt wt bass rod/spinning reel bringing aboard a crab pot. What sucked is there was only1 keeper and a park ranger told me it was illegal to keep the crab because of the "Sanctuary". As I mentioned in a post long ago, Yakchick lost over a $1000 of assorted gear on 2 occasions when she 1st was getting sick & capsized. Almost lost a crab pot in Nov. at Elger Bay Blackmouth fishing with Jereme(aka Blue Adventure). Thanks to his good eyesight vs. mine, he finally spotted it. Let me clarify. I still have Yakchick but it's been a tough time as she's been very ill for over 2 years. Just don't lose your health.

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
I stole the plastic lattice idea from a FL member do the Hobie "Island Forum". It's a great cushion for my yak and I always use my dock line to hold it to the trailer when I pull out of the water...well almost always. Luckily I had two guys to help me load it back on the trailer or I'd have been losing a disc or two as well.

I didn't lose my cool when I saw it laying there. I immediately thought of this forum and the thought "things I've lost from my trailer" popped into my head.

Funny I had my windows up and had no idea it fell off until I got out of the car. Today I need to check it over, clean it up and put it away. Hopefully no major damage.

I'll check in from Cozumel in a couple of weeks.
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Plastic lattice good n' slippery, eh? Not a bad idea. I might put a roller bar on the rear of my 4' x 8' flatbed trailer. I'm painting the plywood bed with urethane floor paint. Pretty tough stuff, but slick when wet. I'm going to refinish the bottom of my 10' mini-drifter with Coat It (epoxy finish resin with graphite in it). When the trailer is done and the hull refinished, I'll have a pretty slick setup!

Before blasting back up the ramp with my yak loaded on my canoe trailer, I remember to clip a line from the trailer onto the bow grab handle so I don't "lose it" on the way up. I just hate to be boat ramp entertainment! :D

Coneheadmuddler, 

I add graphite powder to epoxy for the bottoms of all the yaks/boats I build.  It is harder than epoxy alone.  Plus, I give it a light sanding exposing the graphite.  It is slicker than snot when it gets wet.  It will slide right off tree branches and rocks plus scratches aren't as noticeable.  It is tough to see, but can see the black graphite  on the bottom of the canoe here:

Sorry about the threadjack Ihoppa and have fun during your travels.

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
Wow, Craig, that is a thing of beauty. You ever work with Leroy Jethro Gibbs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iHop

SteveHawk

• ORC
  • Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Wow! Craig that is an awesome boat. It is truly a work of art.  One of these days you I would like to see how it is done!

Does it count that I lost one of the guys off of the classic Hobie this weekend?

Steve
"if you aren't living life on the edge, your just taking up space"  Thom Rock

Green Outback, Blue Revo

craig

• Sturgeon
Wow, Craig, that is a thing of beauty. You ever work with Leroy Jethro Gibbs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Ihop.  Never worked with Gibbs.   ;D

Wow! Craig that is an awesome boat. It is truly a work of art.  One of these days you I would like to see how it is done!

Does it count that I lost one of the guys off of the classic Hobie this weekend?

Steve

When I get my garage cleaned out I should be able to show you how.  It is actually pretty easy, just time consuming.  I started that one in October 2009 and finished it this past summer.  Of course that was doing just a few hours here and there.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008

Steve

Huhn??   :dontknow:
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

firebunkers23

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011

Coneheadmuddler, 
Brother that is one work of art, you are truly gifted with the wood. How long did it take you to make her?  She is Bristol vessel, I would not want to use it and get her dirty.

I add graphite powder to epoxy for the bottoms of all the yaks/boats I build.  It is harder than epoxy alone.  Plus, I give it a light sanding exposing the graphite.  It is slicker than snot when it gets wet.  It will slide right off tree branches and rocks plus scratches aren't as noticeable.  It is tough to see, but can see the black graphite  on the bottom of the canoe here:

Sorry about the threadjack Ihoppa and have fun during your travels.

craig

• Sturgeon
Firebunker,
I have never really kept track of how long one takes to build.  I do a little here and there when I have time.  Some day when I am retired I can give you an accurate assessment.  Then, I wouldn't have to waste time setting up to do work every time I decide to do something on it.  I would guess that if I worked at it like a full-time job, that canoe would take about 120 hours.

firebunkers23

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Firebunker,
I have never really kept track of how long one takes to build.  I do a little here and there when I have time.  Some day when I am retired I can give you an accurate assessment.  Then, I wouldn't have to waste time setting up to do work every time I decide to do something on it.  I would guess that if I worked at it like a full-time job, that canoe would take about 120 hours.

Well my hats off to you she is beautiful, not somthing just anyone could do.

craig

• Sturgeon
Firebunker,

Well my hats off to you she is beautiful, not somthing just anyone could do.
Thanks for the complement.  It is easier than it looks.  Patience is very important, though.  I have seen some kayaks that are works of art done by people that have never done woodworking before.  It is very addictive.  I have built five wooden boats now and have the plans for several others.  However, all new ones will be outfitted with a mirage drive well.  I may even retrofit a few older ones.  I am thinking of doing a double with amas for sailing.