Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 01:23:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 08, 2024, 09:08:31 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:34:53 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 06:58:56 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: wolf eel  (Read 6410 times)

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
My neighbor just brought over some fillets and I was wanting any good ideas you may have for it.
I have had it smoked before (I smoke everything) but not fresh.
Thanks all
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

floatin cowboys

• Lingcod
  • UHMMMM Pizza!!!
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Oh ya, I am sorry I didn't get to this earlier. If you have not cooked them yet hold on and lets try something. I have had hot pots with freshwater eels and I am not sure if it will turn out the same. Eel is a great fish, soft and tender almost melts in your mouth. so if you can do this. Start a pot of rice in the oven seasoned the way you like. And to do rice in the oven is almost the same way as stove top with 1 part rice and 1.5 parts water. bring to rapid boil on stove top then cover and put in a 350 oven. Have your eel seasoned with a good soy, sugar and teriyke (sp) Just before the rice is done place the eel in the pot on top pf the rice and return the lid and put back in the oven. Cook until the eel is done depending on the size it shouldn't take to long. You want the eel to be a sweet teryiake flavor. Because eel is so delicate it does not make good for the grill, and I am just saying that from the eel that I have had. As always, work this the way you think will work good for you. Have and enjoy.
We may live without poetry, music, and art
We may live without conscience and live without heart
We may live without friends, we may live without books;
But civilized man cannot live without cooks

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
I didn't even know that wolf eel was good to eat.  I caught the biggest one I've ever seen up in AK last year.  It was probably 4 feet long and had a head on it as big as the 30+ pound lings we were catching.  When I told the captain I released it, he got this look of disappointment on his face.  Ugly ass fish ... but apparently very tasty.

-Allen

Espiga

• Perch
  • Coastal Adventure Property
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
I understand that wolf eel is not actually an eel, but rather a fish that is eel like.  Regardless, I understand it is very good to eat.  I know some friends who go "poke poling" along the central coast of California for these guys.  To "poke pole" the fishermen fashions a long bamboo pole (say 14' +) and on the slender end attaches a thick wire (think clothes hanger) with a treble hook on the end.  On extreme low tides, in areas where there are large boulders and caves, the pole is poked into underwater caves, and very often the catch is a wolf eel (sometimes rock fish).  I believe this friend of mine learned this in Hawaii. 

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
I understand that wolf eel is not actually an eel, but rather a fish that is eel like.  Regardless, I understand it is very good to eat.  I know some friends who go "poke poling" along the central coast of California for these guys.  To "poke pole" the fishermen fashions a long bamboo pole (say 14' +) and on the slender end attaches a thick wire (think clothes hanger) with a treble hook on the end.  On extreme low tides, in areas where there are large boulders and caves, the pole is poked into underwater caves, and very often the catch is a wolf eel (sometimes rock fish).  I believe this friend of mine learned this in Hawaii. 

Actually the poke polers in CA catch monkey faced eels.  I've had those before, although their faces creep me out.

-Allen

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
I've eaten American eels from the East Coast; usually smoked. The large ones are very fatty, and tender. I've also had smoked eel in the Netherlands- Groke paling, if I remember correctly.

Once, on Long Island, I caught a huge eel and was really excited- I thought it would be great. It was terrible. :o Turns out that it was some kind of sea eel that is a different species. It was tough and unpleasant. :P

Wiki entry- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_eel
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 08:31:41 PM by Pisco Sicko »

Espiga

• Perch
  • Coastal Adventure Property
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Thank you for the clarification Allen.  :-\

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Monkey faced eel are here among the boulder,s in tide pools. Pokinng for them is the method here also.
I do know at least one man that does poke pole for these monster wolf eels off of the rocks around Mill Beach.
I believe he ties himself off to rocks before leaning out and wrestling one up to the surface.
This eel by the way was right at 6" long! Much power there!
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

anything