Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:07:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[Today at 05:39:20 PM]

[Today at 08:40:31 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: [KFM] More sneak peeks of the new WS Offshore Kayak  (Read 3576 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
KFM staff recently got to test drive the new 'Offshore' kayak from Wilderness Systems Fishing Kayaks. While we cannot tell all, we can tell enough to give you a better idea what this kayak is all about.

http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/gear-guide/90-new-fishing-kayaks/1893-the-all-new-wilderness-systems-offshore-fishing-kayak.html

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Call me a hater, but 30 inches seems pretty wide for an "offshore" kayak.
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
What are you comparing it to? Per the article: "The target is a bigger boat with more usable deck space that's capable of handling tougher conditions more comfortably" [than the Tarpon series]

There seems to be no consensus on the inshore/nearshore/offshore nomenclature. This looks like a nearshore kayak to me. I don't think this is meant to be a distance/touring kayak. A reasonably fast paddler with lots of stability for fishing.

Disclaimer: I did not read the entire article.  ;)

I'm intrigued! If they price these the same as the Tarpon I'll be interested to see how the market reacts.

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
What are you comparing it to? Per the article: "The target is a bigger boat with more usable deck space that's capable of handling tougher conditions more comfortably" [than the Tarpon series]

There seems to be no consensus on the inshore/nearshore/offshore nomenclature. This looks like a nearshore kayak to me. I don't think this is meant to be a distance/touring kayak. A reasonably fast paddler with lots of stability for fishing.

Disclaimer: I did not read the entire article.  ;)

I'm intrigued! If they price these the same as the Tarpon I'll be interested to see how the market reacts.

It just seems that every new model of sit on top/fishing kayak on the market is wide and heavy, and meant for freshwater so when I read "offshore" was thinking something closer to a Scupper pro (25" wide). I understand that everyone is not looking for a super skinny boat but there are so few options on the market these days for a light and efficient sit on top.

I am interested to see the Jackson Kayak new "offshore" kayak
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 03:24:05 PM by micahgee »
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

Yaktrap

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
Yes to all of the above comments!

I don't get the industry logic of making an "offshore" kayak that is 30" wide and stable so that inexperienced kayak fisherman feel stable and comfortable. Unless it's thermoform plastic or glass it weighs 90 to 100 pounds.

We all started in wide stable boats, we don't need more of the same. What about the experienced kayak fisherman that wants to travel 15+ miles per day in open ocean conditions chasing down fish.  We exist in significant numbers and are growing. Who's making an efficient boat for us?

Sponsors:
Werner Paddles, RAM Mounts and Kokatat Waterwear

AOTY wins: 2013 (2049 points), 2015 (2026 points)

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Looks like some kind of drive system hole ehhh?
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

Rory

• Sturgeon
  • Rory's Internets Audio Blog
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010

I don't get the industry logic of making an "offshore" kayak that is 30" wide and stable so that inexperienced kayak fisherman feel stable and comfortable. Unless it's thermoform plastic or glass it weighs 90 to 100 pounds.

We all started in wide stable boats, we don't need more of the same. What about the experienced kayak fisherman that wants to travel 15+ miles per day in open ocean conditions chasing down fish.  We exist in significant numbers and are growing. Who's making an efficient boat for us?

Eh, I dunno you guys.  15+ miles a day in the open ocean is awesome, but only a sliver of the kayak fishing population is going to do that...a sliver that would not find themselves in a boat like this, or an outback. And not that going 15 miles isn't super badass, but the more time you're paddling the less you're fishing :) :) :)

Not that I speak for everyone but ...

Most kayak fisherman come from more of a fishing background than a kayaking one and want a stable vessel that allows them to catch fish and worry less about going for a swim.  I started fishing off an eddyline sea kayak (because that was what was available to me), then moved to a hobie adventure (which I still have).  Now I fish from an outback  and I much prefer it.  My kayaks keep getting fatter :P  yes, it's a bathtub (freakin 33" wide) but I haven't been in any conditions where I felt worried.  OK I take that back...FG know what's I'm talking about :D

I kinda like the dimensions of this kayak but I am too attached to the mirage drive to switch.  My ideal fishing vessel would be a giant 14' outback with a DECENT FRICKIN SEAT !!
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
I'm really curious to see what that hole is for

Fiskari

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
Likely the removable sonar console off the ride 115X

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I'm really curious to see what that hole is for

Me too.   ::)

-Allen

Ray Borbon

• Lingcod
  • Hook em and cook em
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
The boat looks ok to me. It will be interesting to see how much each model weighs at those lengths. People don't talk about it much on the forum but I hear some people get turned off from heavy boats from time to time. That front hatch is interesting. I really hate those tiny kayak hatches and if that's big enough to fit an elk quarter then it would be a plus.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013

Eh, I dunno you guys.  15+ miles a day in the open ocean is awesome, but only a sliver of the kayak fishing population is going to do that...a sliver that would not find themselves in a boat like this, or an outback. And not that going 15 miles isn't super badass, but the more time you're paddling the less you're fishing :) :) :)

Not that I speak for everyone but ...

Most kayak fisherman come from more of a fishing background than a kayaking one and want a stable vessel that allows them to catch fish and worry less about going for a swim.  I started fishing off an eddyline sea kayak (because that was what was available to me), then moved to a hobie adventure (which I still have).  Now I fish from an outback  and I much prefer it.  My kayaks keep getting fatter :P  yes, it's a bathtub (freakin 33" wide) but I haven't been in any conditions where I felt worried.  OK I take that back...FG know what's I'm talking about :D

I kinda like the dimensions of this kayak but I am too attached to the mirage drive to switch.  My ideal fishing vessel would be a giant 14' outback with a DECENT FRICKIN SEAT !!

Agree, well said. Implying that people who want stable kayaks for fishing are inexperienced is a false equivalency.

Ray Borbon

• Lingcod
  • Hook em and cook em
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
The idea of doing multi day voyages with fishing combined is not outlandish. The idea of traveling 10 miles or more in a day is reasonable if you can effectively move your boat and fish along the way. Conditions permitting. To me the underlying idea that Yaktrap might be presenting is that a boat which can perform better in the oceanic conditions (a complete variable) is going to be ideal if you would like to cover ground. Yes, if you move you are limiting your fishing time which might be acceptable depending on your fishing location/goals. I agree with an idea that the industry still has not been focused on development for such boats to target fishermen.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon

anything