Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 05:18:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:52:48 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Neah Bay/Hobuck  (Read 6540 times)

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Let me offer a different perspective.

Hobuck isn't a secret.  Where to launch isn't a secret.  Where to camp isn't a secret. How to catch halibut isn't a secret.  The days you get to fish Hobuck isn't a secret.  The danger isn't a secret.  If you show up at Hobuck on an open day and walk up to a a camp of kayak anglers, you're more than likely to be offered a beer and plenty of story around the fire.

Now, what is it that you wanted to know?

-Allen

I like this response and am glad to see that people may be more open in the area itself.

I will take you up on your offer to answer questions if that was a serious response  (I am terrible at reading sarcasm) but i will PM you in case i am off base.

I'm so lost.

It's a free country.  Go fishing.  Or don't.  Invite others.  Or don't.  Report back.  Or don't.  That's what everyone else does.  Or doesn't do.

I have no idea what is going on.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I will take you up on your offer to answer questions if that was a serious response  (I am terrible at reading sarcasm) but i will PM you in case i am off base.

BTW, and so it begins.  We wen't from an open discussion to PM's ... just saying.   :P

-Allen

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015

BTW, and so it begins.  We wen't from an open discussion to PM's ... just saying.   :P

-Allen

Haha i PMd because i was not sure if you were sarcastic in your offer (again i am terrible at detecting this kind of stuff) ;D

Thanks for being open. 

Here is a question i will throw out to the group.

What weights are required for this area?  I have read anywhere from 14-24 oz can be needed.  If i carry 2-16, 2-18 and 2-20 ozs will i be properly prepared?
Should i go higher/lower?
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Zach, depending on your rig & method of fishing it 4-24oz should definitely be enough. I'm sending you guys with some nice oily salmon bellies for tipping your bait. Check with the Sturg. General about the details.
If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

henney

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2014
A well known member here hooked a hali on a 3 ounce jig head near me last year, but currents were pretty light.

If I make it out this year I'm planning on lightening the gear up a bit.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon

-Allen

Haha i PMd because i was not sure if you were sarcastic in your offer (again i am terrible at detecting this kind of stuff) ;D

Thanks for being open. 

Here is a question i will throw out to the group.

What weights are required for this area?  I have read anywhere from 14-24 oz can be needed.  If i carry 2-16, 2-18 and 2-20 ozs will i be properly prepared?
Should i go higher/lower?

Hah.  It was a serious response!

And a snarky response to the response.  Just yanking your chain.  :-*

-Allen

Lutefisk

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Okay Im reading all these posts on halibut fishing and hesitant to ask or add anything more to the debate......but what dangers are everyone so concerned about??? Being new to ocean kayak fishing I dont have the experience yet to know. Is it super strong currents in that Juan de Fuca strait?? Or usual heavy chop and surf?? Or extreme fatigue from fighting big fish??? Or am I missing something significant??....I dont want to add fuel to the fire....just curious.

crash

• Salmon
Okay Im reading all these posts on halibut fishing and hesitant to ask or add anything more to the debate......but what dangers are everyone so concerned about??? Being new to ocean kayak fishing I dont have the experience yet to know. Is it super strong currents in that Juan de Fuca strait?? Or usual heavy chop and surf?? Or extreme fatigue from fighting big fish??? Or am I missing something significant??....I dont want to add fuel to the fire....just curious.

PM sent.

SurfingDude

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018

Hobuck isn't a secret.  Where to launch isn't a secret.  Where to camp isn't a secret. How to catch halibut isn't a secret.  The days you get to fish Hobuck isn't a secret.  The danger isn't a secret.  If you show up at Hobuck on an open day and walk up to a a camp of kayak anglers, you're more than likely to be offered a beer and plenty of story around the fire.

-Allen
I would like the info thats not a secret please ..I am free that weekend..

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Read some of the older threads. That is explained pretty thoruoghly. It comes down to a mix of everything you said als o with tough swells and surf launch conditions. With no coast guard in the local area.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
Surf exits at Hobuck can be very challenging, especially in the spring. That and the response time for professional emergency support mentioned earlier are important things to keep in mind.

Hobuck also occupies a significant spot in the landscape of the Pacific Northwest coast. I've been there once. It was more for a memorial for a good friend who died there than it was to fish. For some of us, the memories surrounding our friend and Hobuck's position in the landscape/seascape give us an emotional and spiritual attachment to the place.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon

-Allen

Howard, is that you?  You live up north now?

-Allen

crash

• Salmon

-Allen

-Allen

He's running around with Kiet now cleaning out all of my honey holes that I once had all to myself. 

I wish I was free that weekend.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon

-Allen

-Allen

He's running around with Kiet now cleaning out all of my honey holes that I once had all to myself. 

So, tell me about these honey holes that you once had all to yourself!   >:D

-Allen

SurfingDude

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018

Yes Allen its Howard ..I am ready for some holly action ...if  the WX works out we should hook up!!!
can you PM me how add a profile photo I can not figure it out ,,thanks

-Allen

-Allen

So, tell me about these honey holes that you once had all to yourself!   >:D

-Allen

anything