Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 11:24:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:08:31 PM]

by jed
[Today at 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[Today at 06:34:53 AM]

by jed
[Today at 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 06:58:56 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Salmon in a baggers sack.  (Read 3241 times)

floatin cowboys

• Lingcod
  • UHMMMM Pizza!!!
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I know it has been a while since the last post and I have been really busy with everything, kids, houses, and such. I have a very simple and very tasty recipe for ya. I used to do this at the Benbow inn when I was there.
It is called a baggers sack or poch. I t consists of several layers of filo dough, salmon strips, shitaki mushrooms and a small slice of brie cheese.

First take a 5 oz piece of fresh salmon and cut it in to 1/2 inch strips. season litly with S&P and a little crushed garlic and olive oil, just a drip. set it aside.

take 2 whole shitaki mushrooms and remove the stem and slice the caps into thin strips. saute in a little olive oil and and 1 tbs choped shallot. cook just until limp set aside and let cool.

take a small wheel of brie and slice a thin slice or two off of it. You will want to peel the rind of the cheese for this though. do that first then slice.

Now to put it all together.
Melt some BUTTER in a small container and have a pastry brush handy.

For those who have never used philo dough it is very tempremental and needs to be covered at all times to keep it from dying out.
Unroll your filo and cover with a dish towel.
Take your first sheet of filo and cover the rest. Lay this sheet out and coat it well with a thin coat of melted butter. Take a second sheet and lay it kity corner across thetop of the other one to make a star brush this one too with butter. Do this with about 4 to 5 sheets of dough and butter, and do it fast so the dough won't dry out to much. Then to fill lay down the cheese on top and in the center of the dough then the mushrooms on top of the cheese and then the salmon strips on top of that with a sprinkle of ginger powder. gather up the edges of the dough and bring it all together at the top like a paper sack, be gentle, and tie it shut with a thin blanched strip of green onion.  It should  look like a paper bag bunched up at the top. Brush the whole thing with butter and bake in a 325 degree oven until golden brown. You can even refridgerate them before and bake them later, but don't wait to long as the dough will get soggy.

I would serve them with a roasted red pepper sauce on the plate and place the poch on the sauce in the middle of the plate. This will actualy work with any fish and any combonation of fillings.

let me know if I need to clarify anything.
Matt ;D
We may live without poetry, music, and art
We may live without conscience and live without heart
We may live without friends, we may live without books;
But civilized man cannot live without cooks

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
So, if my sidekick and I help you move, we'll be well fed?  :-*

floatin cowboys

• Lingcod
  • UHMMMM Pizza!!!

floatin cowboys

• Lingcod
  • UHMMMM Pizza!!!
I did this recipe the other night with some bay scallops and basa fillets (asian catfish) mushrooms green onions, camabert cheese (spelling?) and a crab spread, FREAKING WONDERFUL!!

anything