Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 12:47:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Homer planning April 7  (Read 3284 times)

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I should be able to go. Hopefully someone else can from anchorage, Id like to split the gas. Not to mention that is a long drive by myself.

dudemandude

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Good job Rudy! Oh well on the fish, next time though! The feeders are around, I haven't caught one yet. Oh well, always next trip!

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I unfortunately have my kids karate tournament next weekend. So I'm not going to make it.

So it was great getting out.  Here's a few things I learned...

1) Check the SD cards before you are on the water.  Mine had a formatting issue.  I think its because I used it in my Gopro720.  Had the issue before.  Need to segregate them.  Fortunately I had extra with me.

2) The downrigger is a GREAT tool but it sure adds drag in fast current.  I was amazed how how little head way I was making against the current and wind.  But when I pulled up the ball, it was MUCH easier peddling..well the peddling was nearly the same but I actually made decent headway.   I am seriously rethinking its use for Deep Creek/Anchor point when we will be fishing much shallower.  I plan to try both.

3) Your body just gives up when you are tired.  I sat there and twice watched my kayak slide off my roof, and onto the ground and I didn't even flinch to try and save it.  I can't imagine how hard re-entry would be when you are that tired.  I;m sure adrenalin helps but I just need to get in shape and stop smoking.  Amazingly enough day 2 was MUCH easier.  My advice is go with a partner your first time out. 

4) What's the pill to stop cramps?  Is it just salt? I also read that Tums works as well as a few other stuff ...endurolytes?  I took a shore break after a few hours and I had a heck of a time getting back into it.  Eventually after swigs of gatorade and slow peddling helped.  I didn't have any issues last year and I am sure once I get back into the swing of things, it will be less of a problem.  But I do plan on pushing myself harder and since I try to minimize liquid consumption on water, a safety valve would be good to have.

5) I knew this but in Home watch out for the afternoon winds.  It was flat calm, I took a picture and 5 minutes later it was gusting 15 to 20 and a chop came up instantly.  Nothing you couldn't handle but I'm sure it wasn't the worst event. 

6) Take a lens cleaning cloth with you.  I weat pretty much polypro or other synthetics and when my camera lens or my glasses got wet, I had nothing to wipe them with!  I'm going to get lasik done sometime soon.  But my camera will still need cleaning.

I'm sure there are other lessons for me to learn but it sure was awesome getting out! 

The season has BEGUN!  Woohoo!!!
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
ooo I hate cramps. I didn't think about them! I am actually really prone to getting cramps in my calf muscles. What you do is drink water, eat a banana or two for breakfast, vitamin supplement is good too. And Do a warm up jog or something, or some jumping jacks. Then STRETCH your muscles while they are warm. And I would say do some stretching once in awhile why you are out too. Then you should be good to go.

Yeah that figures with the down rigger! What about using those pancake style weights. I saw them over at B&J's and thought they looked low drag. Might even get away with less weight if its low drag. Also B&J's was cleaned out of any weights for trolling bigger than 5 Oz. Hopefully they will get some more soon. I can't think of any other place that has banana weights greater than 5oz.

I had already planned on a few handkerchiefs in a zip lock.

Are you wearing gloves out there at all?

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Good advice on cramps.

I have decent gloves but I never wear them. I don't wear gloves even ice fishing. For whatever reason my hands can tolerate it. I bought the gloves when I was paddling. Even my hands can't deal with metal paddles below freezing.

What I found that gives me dexterity but adds another level of protection is disposable latex gloves. For me my hands being dry is enough for almost any conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Good to hear that Day 2 was easier on you than Day 1 felt. 

You make a good point about fatigue and strength, and it's an important one to remember for all of us. Our margin of error on Alaskan adventuring is just a little slimmer because of the cold and because of remoteness in many of our destinations. We can't control for the latter two, but fatigue is something that we can monitor in ourselves. Adrenalin might overcome it, but that's not something I can depend on.

Matt's advice on cramps is spot on.  More potassium is good -- and if you've got some superstitions about those bananas, you can supplement by mixing some strength/fitness powders (e.g., MaxPro) into a drink or smoothie before setting out. 

anything