Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:23:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:45:55 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Target Halibut: April 27-28  (Read 7564 times)

fishnut

• Salmon
  • 1st Recipient of 2012 A$$hat Award
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Sounds like a kick. Wish I could have seen the cluster. Did you get your gps speed?

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I was peddling along about 3.5-4 mph to keep up.   It was quite the sight...a kayak getting towed backwards, then sideways, then backwards, and sideways again.  Too bad we didn't see the fish. 

At least we were only 6.58 miles from the truck after that.  Too windy to make any headway, so we had to beach and walk to avoid yaking after dark.  Then the hike, then Baja truck racing to get to the yaks, then strategic driving to avoid getting stuck, then getting stuck 20ft from the parking lot, then .....thank God for campers who like to booze it up that pulled us out, then the wonderfully intelligent bar crowd at the only 24 hr restaurant, and finally a shower and home.  All in all, a 12 hour adventure that started at 4 pm.

Let's just say FUN, wasn't the only word with FU in it I said a few times.  I did, however, have a good time with AKfishergal.  Just hope our next excursion is more fishing & less hiking, driving, hauling, and cursing.  It is nice to know that there are women out there that actually enjoy "adventure"
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
That's sounds fricken awesome and I'm sorry I missed it! Maybe she hooked into that same thing that broke you off last weekend kenai guy!

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Holy cow. I could never cut my line...and of course that is why my life expectancy is likely a decade or two less than the more intelligent folks!

Awesome story. Hope the weather holds for next weekend!!!!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ny4fbk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
What a story :) first of all I'm glad you're ok, secondly, it takes some skill to hold on to that rod while being towed backwards. You get a standing ovation from me.

RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

AKS2000

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Wow!  What a fishing trip.  Any idea how far you guys were off from shore?

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I would say at least 1-1.5 miles
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
I was glad I didn't have to cut the line in the end, but also glad I had my knife handy on my PFD just in case. I don't know why, but it just didn't occur to me to pivot 180 degrees in the cockpit to fight the fish. I think I could have gained on him some if I wasn't twisted around like I was. Maybe then we could have gotten a look at him. I sure would have liked some visual confirmation that it was as big as it was strong. Never could have landed it though -- no gaff, no harpoon, no gun.

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

Wow.........sounds like one hell of a ride.
  Hopefully next time you'll be able to get turned so you will have the advantage over the fish.Going backwards leaves you feeling kinda out of control,as you found out.But still,an exhilerating ride.
  Last year,at the Anchor Point Calcutta,when Greta caught her king salmon,she got towed around for quite a while too.Amazing the power a fish can demonstrate.Look for the video on Rudy's blogs.
  Thanks for an outstanding reoprt.Next time I hope the advantage will be yours.
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
Alright where is the video?!

Also was kenai lake thawed out yet? I want to get on it as soon as the ice goes out. Should be the best time of year right now to get a lake trout.

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Kenai Lake is thawed from the bridge southward, but still covered with ice north of the bridge. The ice is so thin that it looks Kenai tourquoise -- so I think it could be free this week.

I'm waiting on that vid too -- hope Kenai Guy can get it posted without much difficulty.

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
Thanks for the update. Last weekend it looked like that too. Rotten green ice an the edges were open. I thought for sure it would be thawed by now. You know everyone says how thin the ice is on that lake in the winter but im not believing it.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

Wow.........sounds like one hell of a ride.
  Hopefully next time you'll be able to get turned so you will have the advantage over the fish.Going backwards leaves you feeling kinda out of control,as you found out.But still,an exhilerating ride.
  Last year,at the Anchor Point Calcutta,when Greta caught her king salmon,she got towed around for quite a while too.Amazing the power a fish can demonstrate.Look for the video on Rudy's blogs.
  Thanks for an outstanding reoprt.Next time I hope the advantage will be yours.

I've learned a lot from this board. Things like dragging your feet( hard with an outback), using rudder to stay 90deg of a fish, raft up to another Yak, etc.

The fish Greta caught was only 20 pounds and it towed her around for a while.  Video I think is may 14 last year.

Ultimately you got to be safe. But what an Adventure!!! Two trips and two potential monsters!  Too cool!!! 

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?nbpbfw
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

threecreeks

• Lingcod
  • "Life is tough, but it's tougher when yur stupid"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
All I can say is Wow! Great story!
Cobra F-n-Dive / Hobie Pro Angler 14

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
OK.  Up until I read this, my only fears on the salt were the Landlord, getting pooped on by the seabirds (one almost got me last time, it hit the front deck), and getting skunked and returning to the missus without her fresh fish. In fact, I would probably be better off being eaten by a shark then spending the money to go and not come back with some lingcod.  Now, I am kind of scared of inadvertently hooking into a big halibut.