Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:34:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: New Kayaker,Need safety gear audit  (Read 6435 times)

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Corey, don't forget that you need to be seen and br able signal too.. some self adhesive SOLAS ( Safety Of Life At Sea) tape in various spots , a good easily seen light, a strobe, are all good things to have, too.

Don't scrimp on your safety gear, whatever else you spend. Its your own personal insurance policy underwritten by you.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

lil_cowboy

• Perch
  • Cowboy up
  • Date Registered: Jun 2014
Hey here is a link to the coastguard auxiliary kayak safety checklisthttp://wow.uscgaux.info/content.php?unit=V-DEPT&category=virtual-safety-check if this doesn't work then just type in coastguard  auxiliarykayak safety checklist in your browser it is a printable checklist that of everything they want you to have. Good luck and safe travels

2nd place Tillamook Bay May Day for largest legal crab limit
2018 2nd place Tillamook Bay Day for largest legal crab limit
2010 yellow Hobie mirage outback

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

cjweinhe

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
I bought a Kokatat Gore-tex front entry  dry suit today.  I also bought a life vest and flag.

I need to finish off the clothes for under my new dry suit.  The bought a wool layer today and will probably add an Immersion fleece layer underneath. 

Besides heavy wool socks worn under the dry suite, what do you guys wear on your feet on the outside of your dry suite to protect it from wear? If there is existing thread on the topic, please point me to it.

It looks like I still need to get a light, maybe gloves, a whistle, and skull cap.

The Kokatat life vest I bought has reflective strips sown into it.   Where do people usually put reflective tape?  On the your body only or do people add reflective tape the kayak as well?

Thanks again for answering all my questions and all your great advice.

Corey

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
I bought a Kokatat Gore-tex front entry  dry suit today.  I also bought a life vest and flag.

I need to finish off the clothes for under my new dry suit.  The bought a wool layer today and will probably add an Immersion fleece layer underneath. 

Besides heavy wool socks worn under the dry suite, what do you guys wear on your feet on the outside of your dry suite to protect it from wear? If there is existing thread on the topic, please point me to it.

It looks like I still need to get a light, maybe gloves, a whistle, and skull cap.

The Kokatat life vest I bought has reflective strips sown into it.   Where do people usually put reflective tape?  On the your body only or do people add reflective tape the kayak as well?

Thanks again for answering all my questions and all your great advice.

Corey
Over my drysuit on my feet I wear a pair of NRS ATB boots.

As far as reflective tape I don't use it.  I probably should though.    I haven't gone out in low light conditions yet so I haven't really thought about it.  I do have a flag with light though.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 12:26:32 AM by hdpwipmonkey »
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I use reflective tape on my paddle.
If I'm waving it, I want it to be seen.

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I use NRS ATB wetshoes with dry suit, dry pants, or just alone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

cjweinhe

• Perch
I bought a pair of NRS expedition socks today since someone else recommended neoprene socks as well and they are relatively inexpensive.  I will see how they work out and go from there.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
I use reflective tape on my paddle.
If I'm waving it, I want it to be seen.

Paddle is good, you can get it pre cut for that.  Add a spot at bow and stern if you want. Does yhe PFD have reflective striping? If not that would be a good place to add some.

SOLAS is a good idea, helps you be seen, but don't beat yourself up if you don't have it.  Plenty of the most modern safety gear will have reflective accents. You can even get refelctive bungee to replace your deck lines if you so desire.

But, best use of your money on safety gear is to get the best you can buy and learn to use it effectively.  Think of it like having a spare tire but not knowing how to change a flat. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 11:30:22 PM by [WR] »

• Date Registered: Aug 2015
Do you have a compass on your yak in case you get turned around in fog?

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015

This is a good point, and those of us with a GPS FF may fool ourselves into thinking it not necessary, but batteries fail. Connections fail. Electronics fail. Especially in wet conditions. A simple cheap compass it a good idea. I have one stuck to the deck hatch lid. You may not know what direction you want to go, but you can sure pick one and stay on that heading.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

Absolutely one of my must have safety gear items for the ocean.  I've experienced thick enough fog in Northern California, Southern Oregon, and out of Depoe Bay to warrant the necessity to always have a non electronic compass with easy to read digits on board in front of me. 

One thing about fog and a compass is that you need to trust the compass not your senses.  You can get fooled by random light, swells and sound to think that you are going one way, when really you are going another.  The compass won't lie.  Be sure to use it on a clear day and get used to what it tells you and pair that with what you can actually see, so that when you are in really thick fog you don't second guess what it is telling you.   

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Trident 13

• Salmon
One of your most important safety devices is a partner for quite a few outings at the very least.  After that, you decide the level of risk you feel you can handle.
I carried a SPOT transponder when doing long solo paddles.  It pings where I was to a google map so my wife new where I was, or at least where the SPOT was.  Paid my insurance so the emergency button that brought in rescue was active.  Plenty of controlled paddling until you get used to it, have fun.

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

Corey,

You have been given a lot of timely well thought of advice so far. Most of the advice has been about gearing up and you have and will get plenty of opinions cause we have a lot of gearheads .
 My advice is less material. In my opinion the most important safety "device" is right between your ears. Your brain.
 Because you are already asking questions----- I'd say you are on the right path. Keep asking questions , do your own research , and try your wings. Experience is your best teacher. Make your adventures count. Learn something new every time you hit the water. And share the knowledge you have gained with others. Some call this "paying it forward". You will do fine.
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent