Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 05:54:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 31, 2024, 09:49:03 AM]

[May 31, 2024, 09:04:10 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:48:30 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:40:29 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 02:46:19 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 01:49:12 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:59:33 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:42:05 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:40:13 AM]

by Spot
[May 29, 2024, 11:32:10 AM]

[May 28, 2024, 07:37:19 AM]

[May 28, 2024, 06:19:06 AM]

[May 27, 2024, 09:56:01 PM]

by PNW
[May 27, 2024, 03:12:21 PM]

[May 27, 2024, 07:56:46 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Safety First  (Read 3878 times)

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
with the recent missing kayaker here on the Oregon Coast, I wanted to post this picture from my outing today because it shows 4 things that I consider critical:

leashed to the boat: across my back you can see a leash connected to a strap on my PFD. 
radio:  near my foot, my floating VHF handheld is clipped to the i11s carry strap, if I was out on the ocean it would be attached and leashed to my PFD.
suit:  semi-dry Kokatat Supernova Angler paddling suit.
and of course, I'm wearing my PFD.

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

• Date Registered: Aug 2015
How common is it to leash yourself to your kayak? 

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
How common is it to leash yourself to your kayak?

I think it is very location dependent.  Here in the salt water (ocean or bays/rivers) there are tides, ocean or river currents, waves/swells, and, almost wind.   Ending up in the water is not a crisis if you are dressed for immersion but getting separated from your boat would be a really bad thing...I use these $10 xtra-small size retractable dog leashes, 10' long, even with all the moving around that I do on both my boats, never an issue, they just extend and retract...

https://www.amazon.com/Flexi-Freedom-Retractable-Supports-18-Pound/dp/B007CRBV8E/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1470768520&sr=1-1&keywords=retractable+dog+leash&refinements=p_n_feature_eleven_browse-bin%3A3059613011
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I don't leash myself to my kayak.  But I've been using retractable dog leashes like the one pictured above to leash rods, nets, and my paddle.  I don't even notice the leashes on my rods when casting, playing fish, and netting fish, and the leashes have saved me from losing my net on a number of occasions.  However, I'm getting paranoid about the number of leashes on my kayak.  I'm worried about getting snarled up in all the leashes if I flip my kayak.  I'm thinking of other solutions, like clipping or strapping stored rods to their holders when they aren't in use.  I've also shortened the retractable dog leashes to the minimum needed to use each item of fishing gear, so I'll only have three or four feet of leash strung out if I flip rather than 15 feet of leash.

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I'm kinda thinking being leashed to the boat is a good thing if you go in the salt alone. Neither is something I would do, however. I'm with Pete, thinking about whether all these leashes is quite so well thought out.

I put rod floats on some of my rods, and while I still intend using a paddle leash, I just received a cheapie backup paddle to put in the hatch. It breaks down into 4 pieces, none longer than 24".

I had thought about leashing the net, but if a furbag grabs a fish in my net, I'm pretty sure I'd rather let it all go and not hang on.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I keep pushing it off because now I rarely go out alone but I am going to leash myself at some point.  We had a guy up here who ended up int he water for something like 5 hours.  With current and wind, the kayak can get away from you if you dump it.
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I had thought about leashing the net, but if a furbag grabs a fish in my net, I'm pretty sure I'd rather let it all go and not hang on.
Whoa! I definitely didn't think of that hazard, since seals are relatively rare out here in Montana.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Whoa! I definitely didn't think of that hazard, since seals are relatively rare out here in Montana.
I say we solve two problems then...transplant our seals there >:D

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Three out of four for me. I'll consider the leash, though. Right now the only thing I leash is my paddle and I take my chances with everything else.

Helium Head

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I say we solve two problems then...transplant our seals there >:D

If we can get them listed as endangered species in Montana I see a government program paying to transplant them!
Hobie Revolution 13 olive
Hobie Revolution 13 yellow

anything