Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:56:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:40:28 AM]

[Today at 10:55:19 AM]

[Today at 10:49:19 AM]

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: A post about fish  (Read 2707 times)

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Went out with my friend to Westport over the weekend. Decent fishing with swimbaits for blacks.

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Nice! As abundant as they can be at times, I remind myself to appreciate blacks. The big schools are hard to miss with a depthfinder. They're often aggressive. They produce great fillets. A simple pan-fry with a little butter and caramelized onions can make for an amazing dinner.
aMayesing Bros.

workhard

• Salmon
Nice! As abundant as they can be at times, I remind myself to appreciate blacks. The big schools are hard to miss with a depthfinder. They're often aggressive. They produce great fillets. A simple pan-fry with a little butter and caramelized onions can make for an amazing dinner.

Blacks are awesome, I like them more than lingcod. Fried some up and made some bomb quarantine fish tacos last night. It's nice just to do easy fishing instead of the super technical chinook jigging as well.

Lutefisk

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Does anyone know if the theory that gutting out the blacks on the water will result in less worms and parasites in the fillets?

I heard that those little worms live in the guts and after the fish dies they migrate to the flesh. I dont know. I dont think so.

Last week in Depoe bay, some blacks would cut out clean and others are filled with worms.

I also had bomb ass quarantine tacos last night.

Guppy Tamer

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011

Blacks are awesome, I like them more than lingcod. Fried some up and made some bomb quarantine fish tacos last night. It's nice just to do easy fishing instead of the super technical chinook jigging as well.

I'm with you. I like the texture of the bass much more than ling cod. I would take sea bass over just about any fish most days of the week. I love salmon, but I can only eat so much of it. I could eat rockfish every day.

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Nice haul! Good inspiration, had a couple more days of blackmouth attempts this week (Edmonds yesterday, 10/11 border Thurs), lean bait and marks. May have to make a Westport rally next weekend

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
This just in, looks like Westport access may be limited going forward due to COVID restrictions meant to limit exposure to locals. https://www.thedailyworld.com/news/westport-orders-lodging-businesses-to-close-limiting-beach-access/

workhard

• Salmon
This just in, looks like Westport access may be limited going forward due to COVID restrictions meant to limit exposure to locals. https://www.thedailyworld.com/news/westport-orders-lodging-businesses-to-close-limiting-beach-access/

I don't know if a city could close a state park, but it would be unfortunate if they did. With all the reservations closed to outsiders rockfishing might be limited for awhile.

minnowmagnet

• Lingcod
  • aka That F'n minnowmagnet
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Does anyone know if the theory that gutting out the blacks on the water will result in less worms and parasites in the fillets?

I heard that those little worms live in the guts and after the fish dies they migrate to the flesh. I dont know. I dont think so.

Last week in Depoe bay, some blacks would cut out clean and others are filled with worms.

I also had bomb ass quarantine tacos last night.
I heard the same rumor about gutting them quickly a couple of years ago and started gutting all of my rockfish on the water. I definitely have noticed less worms but the sample size of my experiment is limited. There are a lot of really scientific folks on this forum and I would love to hear their opinions. I was dubious, but started gutting them on the water anyway, just to give it a shot. I took 5 on Friday and out of 10 fillets, I only found a couple of worms when I held them to the light, so I will probably keep doing it, unless someone with real knowledge tells me it's not making a difference. Thanks for bringing up the topic.

And also, rockfish rock. They are great to eat and way more fun than lingcod. I usually can't wait to get the lings out of the way so that I can finish the day targeting them. Lightweight trout rod, small jigs, small swimbaits, spoons, spinners, flies...Oh man!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 08:50:34 PM by minnowmagnet »

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Putting the fillets in ice water right away will cause the worms to crawl out of the fillets.... yes I tried it and it worked.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”