Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:55:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 19, 2024, 09:27:54 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Port Ludlow  (Read 1679 times)

Adamhelm67

• Plankton
  • GM Monterey Bay Kayaks/Fishing Guide
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
Just moved to Port Ludlow. Does anyone know if there are fish here in the bay of Ludlow. Rockfish, lingcod, Salmon?
Get Out there and Fish!!!

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Just moved to Port Ludlow. Does anyone know if there are fish here in the bay of Ludlow. Rockfish, lingcod, Salmon?

Another California person? We're invading. You can't keep rockfish in nearly all of Puget Sound, lingcod has a short season about a month mid May - mid June. I haven't fished the Point Ludlow area but Point No Point is a great chinook spot, down in Dabob off the Quilcene is pretty insane when the coho roll through.

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
  • A bad day of fishing is still better than a good d
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
I am originally from back east, and moved up here from the Bay Area. I used to think California had regs, WA has them beat!   Good luck getting out there and landing some fish.  If you want rockies it is going ot have to be on the ocean. 
US Army & Army National Guard Veteran of 34 years
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans!," FOB Danger, Tikrit Iraq 2005
Boston Sports Fan since 1967, I have seen the highs, and the lows of Boston sports teams.
aka Kevin

workhard

• Salmon
I am originally from back east, and moved up here from the Bay Area. I used to think California had regs, WA has them beat!   Good luck getting out there and landing some fish.  If you want rockies it is going ot have to be on the ocean.

Washington is pretty unique in that there are treaties with the native americans over resources signed back in the 1800's. The treaties were largely ignored until the late 60's/early 70's until the 'fish wars' with natives americans like Billy Frank Jr pushing for recognition of their rights given to them. It culminated with the Boldt decision in federal court in 1974 giving the natives back their rights with 'half of harvestable surplus.' Basically the tribes get half of the fish, in order to ensure that is met along with maximizing opportunity for state anglers the regulations HAVE to be extremely complicated. It also requires WA to have some of the most intensively monitored sport fisheries in the world. Interesting history with hay bales being sent down river to foul tribal nets and Marlo Brando being arrested for fishing without a license on the Puyallup river protesting treaty rights.

I can only think of two regulation changes in CA in the last 25 years - an increase to surfperch retention and the regulations around white sturgeon.

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019

Washington is pretty unique in that there are treaties with the native americans over resources signed back in the 1800's. The treaties were largely ignored until the late 60's/early 70's until the 'fish wars' with natives americans like Billy Frank Jr pushing for recognition of their rights given to them. It culminated with the Boldt decision in federal court in 1974 giving the natives back their rights with 'half of harvestable surplus.' Basically the tribes get half of the fish, in order to ensure that is met along with maximizing opportunity for state anglers the regulations HAVE to be extremely complicated. It also requires WA to have some of the most intensively monitored sport fisheries in the world. Interesting history with hay bales being sent down river to foul tribal nets and Marlo Brando being arrested for fishing without a license on the Puyallup river protesting treaty rights.

I can only think of two regulation changes in CA in the last 25 years - an increase to surfperch retention and the regulations around white sturgeon.

I've recently taken interest in the history of the WA Salmon fishery... it's seems to be an emotionally charged for many people, and knowing this it's hard to know which sources of information are the least biased. Can you recommend any resources that have little bias in discussing the history of this fishery? I picked up Frank Haw's book "Washington's Sport of Kings", and that seems like a decent start.

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
  • A bad day of fishing is still better than a good d
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
California has changes, some seasons there are no salmon, crab season closures, amount of lingcod seems to change, black rock cod and blue rock cod catch numbers.    Things of that nature.
US Army & Army National Guard Veteran of 34 years
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans!," FOB Danger, Tikrit Iraq 2005
Boston Sports Fan since 1967, I have seen the highs, and the lows of Boston sports teams.
aka Kevin

workhard

• Salmon

I've recently taken interest in the history of the WA Salmon fishery... it's seems to be an emotionally charged for many people, and knowing this it's hard to know which sources of information are the least biased. Can you recommend any resources that have little bias in discussing the history of this fishery? I picked up Frank Haw's book "Washington's Sport of Kings", and that seems like a decent start.

I haven't read that book, but he was long time WDFW employee (architect of the now defunct blackmouth program) I bet it has some good information - and probably a little biased. I HIGHLY recommend his book Saltwater Fishing in Washington, it's 30 years old but the information in there about locations will never expire, and there's a bunch that have been forgotten by the general public. That book and the archived 'Fishin Magician' articles from the Kitsap Sun 90's-00's are treasures. Good place to start with the history would be here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_Wars.

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019

I haven't read that book, but he was long time WDFW employee (architect of the now defunct blackmouth program) I bet it has some good information - and probably a little biased. I HIGHLY recommend his book Saltwater Fishing in Washington, it's 30 years old but the information in there about locations will never expire, and there's a bunch that have been forgotten by the general public. That book and the archived 'Fishin Magician' articles from the Kitsap Sun 90's-00's are treasures. Good place to start with the history would be here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_Wars.

Awesome -- thanks for the tips on those two sources. Looks like Amazon has the book, so that's fortunate. Also helpful to know that Haw may be a bit biased in Sport of Kings. Thanks too for the lead on the history of the WA salmon fishery... Interesting stuff in that wiki article right off the bat.