Forum > Washington Kayak Fishing

Baker lake

(1/3) > >>

builderbri:
WDFW put out a statement that there is a banner return of sockeye there this summer, and they are opening it up early. With a 3 fish limit, this sounds like fun. I camped there once some 25 years ago and haven't been back since. Is there anyone who has gone there with their kayak who is willing to give some advice. or are planning to go. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

workhard:

--- Quote from: builderbri on July 06, 2023, 07:45:41 PM ---WDFW put out a statement that there is a banner return of sockeye there this summer, and they are opening it up early. With a 3 fish limit, this sounds like fun. I camped there once some 25 years ago and haven't been back since. Is there anyone who has gone there with their kayak who is willing to give some advice. or are planning to go. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

--- End quote ---

5x the amount of sockeye have returned to the Baker trap than last year at this point so far. There are over 20k fish in the lake currently. This is more than banner year, it’s blowing all the previous years out of the water.

builderbri:
So, I watched a couple of videos on youtube and learned a few things. It looks promising, however it does look like it could get crowded. I have the weekend of the 23rd open so I might travel up there then. I would love to hook up with someone. I am not familiar with the area, so I have some research to do before I go.

workhard:

--- Quote from: builderbri on July 08, 2023, 09:08:53 PM ---So, I watched a couple of videos on youtube and learned a few things. It looks promising, however it does look like it could get crowded. I have the weekend of the 23rd open so I might travel up there then. I would love to hook up with someone. I am not familiar with the area, so I have some research to do before I go.

--- End quote ---

Just make sure you're trolling around 1mph, ~35feet deep and on the water at zero dark thirty. The bite will die ~830am, after that you can troll for hours and maybe get one fish.

Captain Redbeard:
I appreciate the info here and am looking into this. I will review the regs and poke around, but my main question is: Is now the best time to go? Or better later this month?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version