Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 10:55:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:19:09 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:01:25 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 04:21:47 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Jigging with braided line.  (Read 2341 times)

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Anyone having a challenge with braided line wrapping around the tip of the pole when bouncing a jig?  I've tried checking to see if the line is twisted by dragging it bare for over a mile and it doesn't coil at all. Solved using mono on one pole with a jig and using the braid on the downrigger.  Always use a 1/2 oz weight ahead of lures to stop the twist.  Seems like the braid is just too limp and using a longer pole is a pain to untwist. I like the feel the braid transmits, just don't like the tip-twisting.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I prefer to use braided line when jigging because it has low stretch, so you feel delicate bites better, and can set your hook more sharply.  You can greatly reduce your problems with getting braided line wrapped around the tip of your rod and hooked on your rod guides by jigging with a reel which is mounted on the bottom of your rod, such as a spinning reel, because the line guides will be on the bottom of your rod, and will be much less likely to snag your floppy braided line.  Another way to reduce the amount of tip tangles you get is by lowering the tip of your rod slowly after you lift it, so your lure can keep some tension on your line.  This works better with heavy lures which drop fast.

This weekend I spent a day jigging for lake whitefish with a 3/8 oz lead lure, which drops slowly.  But because I was jigging with a spinning reel, I had few problems with rod/braided line entanglements.

Trident 13

• Salmon
This weekend I was using a spinning reel with the qualities you mention.  It doesn't tangle very often with a slower drop, but you don't get the lure action I like.  The thinner line reduces current bow.  I've moved to a shorter 6' pole and live with the occasional tangle I can easily reach rather than the favored longer 8' and leave that for use with the downrigger, just wondering if anyone has a secret.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I only seem to have the line wrap issue with spinning rods/reels with braid and when casting it. Doesn't happen nearly as often with my casting setups for whatever reason while Jigging. I definitely like braid for jigging, as mono and flouro lines have too must stretch (imo) for a good hookset when jigging at depth.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Try a lighter rod.

-Allen

no_oil_needed

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2013
What test braid were you using? A thicker or less limp braid has less of a tendency to loop over your tip.
Relax. You'll live longer.

Trident 13

• Salmon
I might try switching to braid on the Penn 109 (I like the reel for direct drive and other reasons). 
I'm using Sufix 832 Advanced Superline 20-lb. test.  .23MM  which is a 6 lb mono equivalent.
Allen, I have no idea why a lighter pole would make a difference?

So, open for more ideas, but will try switching to braid in the reel for jigging and leave it on the spinning reel for the downrigger.

Much appreciated.

gnomodom

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I get it sometimes, but I don't find the nuisance to be great enough to change something up. I do notice that I have less issues if I just pay attention to the wind and the tip of the rod and how the slack lays. I also almost always roll a ball bearing swivel above a 18-30" fluro leader which helps keep twists down, along with the tip problems.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Allen, I have no idea why a lighter pole would make a difference?

A heavier rod has more "pop" to it.  Especially in conjunction with more vigorous jigging.  A lighter rod will absorb some of that pop, reducing the chances of a loose loop wrapping your rod tip.

Think of it another way, if you had a much heavier jig, what do you think would happen?

I guess a better way to put it is to size the rod and jig appropriately to each other.

Also, you said that mono solved your problems.  Mono absorbs a lot more and prevents a loose loop.  A lighter rod will absorb a lot more and prevent a loose loop.

-Allen

Trident 13

• Salmon
Allan, I understand the concept, but don't know that's the issue.  The rod is an ugly stick and is pretty limber.  Will give the casting reel a shot on the shorter stiffer rod using braid and see what happens.  Appreciate the thoughts.