Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 05:42:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:19:54 AM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: [SITE] Server move to fix AOTY  (Read 11575 times)

uplandsandpiper

I was having the same problem. I reduced my file sizes below 1 MB and the problem went away.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I was having the same problem. I reduced my file sizes below 1 MB and the problem went away.

Reducing the file size for your images is an almost universal fix for images not uploading on AOTY. I'm sorry it doesn't give a useful error message - I have no control over it.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
As far as I can tell, there isn't a file size restriction currently in place.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon

It may not be a filesize restriction per se: it may be a timeout issue or something else, but I have regularly had larger images not upload and smaller images upload just fine.

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014

It may not be a filesize restriction per se: it may be a timeout issue or something else, but I have regularly had larger images not upload and smaller images upload just fine.
I'll try resizing and let you know.
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Yep resizing worked.  I compressed them from 1.2M to about 240K and then they uploaded.
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I don't know if anyone else is experiencing DNS issues (i.e. the server can not be found).   The NWKA and AOTY sites are up and running, but your DNS server (the webservice that converts URLs to IP addresses) just has a bad record for NWKA.  In theory this should work it's way out in time, but it has been days and I've begun to get frustrated.  I went ahead and switched to using Google's public DNS servers.  Now I have not problem getting onto NWKA.

Here's a link for instructions..
https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I don't know if anyone else is experiencing DNS issues (i.e. the server can not be found).   The NWKA and AOTY sites are up and running, but your DNS server (the webservice that converts URLs to IP addresses) just has a bad record for NWKA.  In theory this should work it's way out in time, but it has been days and I've begun to get frustrated.

I'm having the same issue on my PC and occasionally on my phone.  I don't think my nerd level is high enough to attempt the fix you suggested.  Any other suggestions.

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Allen, the incorrect configuration on the name servers for northwestkayakanglers.com is still there. I've been having intermittent issues accessing the site due to DNS lookup failures, and I'm betting that many others are still having trouble. This is not a problem with other DNS servers around the internet caching DNS results longer than they should, and won't ever eventually fix itself. If you run the report, you'll see that ns1 and ns2 are still in the list of name servers but lookups for those hostnames fail so no queries can get sent to them. When users try to access the forum, they are going to occasionally try to send the DNS queries to those servers but they won't be able to find the servers to send them queries and won't be able to successfully resolve the site's hostname into an IP address.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools#dnsReport|type=domain&&value=northwestkayakanglers.com

You can use the report for the NorCalKayakAnglers forum to compare results, and to show the hosting provider.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools#dnsReport|type=domain&&value=norcalkayakanglers.com

The DNS lookups for both sites give the same 173.230.249.151 IP address, so I assume that both sites are on the same server and the server software just uses the host header to know which site to serve content from. If the hosting provider doesn't seem to be the most knowledgeable with taking care of this, just tell them that they should go to the the ns1-lg and ns2-lg DNS servers and make the zone file for "northwestkayakanglers.com" look exactly like the zone file for "norcalkayakanglers.com" except for the domain name. That may be as simple as just changing "ns1" to "ns1-lg" and "ns2" to "ns2-lg" everywhere in the zone files so that there are no references to ns1.kayakfishingfrontiers.com or ns2.kayakfishingfrontiers.com in the zone file, but it should be very easy for them to just make the zone file for this domain look exactly like the zone file for the working site except for the domain name.

This shouldn't be that difficult for the hosting provider to fix. The name servers are running Bind on Redhat, specifically 9.8.2rc1-RedHat-9.8.2-0.62.rc1.el6_9.4, (which is a security risk that they actually respond to the query on what software they're running to make them easier targets for exploits) so they don't appear to be running some deeply customized distributed solution that's hard to manage. Let me know if you need me to work with them directly and explain things. I'm off work on vacation through next week and should have time.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 10:57:08 AM by JasonM »

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Allen, the incorrect configuration on the name servers for northwestkayakanglers.com is still there. I've been having intermittent issues accessing the site due to DNS lookup failures, and I'm betting that many others are still having trouble. This is not a problem with other DNS servers around the internet caching DNS results longer than they should, and won't ever eventually fix itself. If you run the report, you'll see that ns1 and ns2 are still in the list of name servers but lookups for those hostnames fail so no queries can get sent to them. When users try to access the forum, they are going to occasionally try to send the DNS queries to those servers but they won't be able to find the servers to send them queries and won't be able to successfully resolve the site's hostname into an IP address.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools#dnsReport|type=domain&&value=northwestkayakanglers.com

You can use the report for the NorCalKayakAnglers forum to compare results, and to show the hosting provider.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools#dnsReport|type=domain&&value=norcalkayakanglers.com

The DNS lookups for both sites give the same 173.230.249.151 IP address, so I assume that both sites are on the same server and the server software just uses the host header to know which site to serve content from. If the hosting provider doesn't seem to be the most knowledgeable with taking care of this, just tell them that they should go to the the ns1-lg and ns2-lg DNS servers and make the zone file for "northwestkayakanglers.com" look exactly like the zone file for "norcalkayakanglers.com" except for the domain name. That may be as simple as just changing "ns1" to "ns1-lg" and "ns2" to "ns2-lg" everywhere in the zone files so that there are no references to ns1.kayakfishingfrontiers.com or ns2.kayakfishingfrontiers.com in the zone file, but it should be very easy for them to just make the zone file for this domain look exactly like the zone file for the working site except for the domain name.

This shouldn't be that difficult for the hosting provider to fix. The name servers are running Bind on Redhat, specifically 9.8.2rc1-RedHat-9.8.2-0.62.rc1.el6_9.4, (which is a security risk that they actually respond to the query on what software they're running to make them easier targets for exploits) so they don't appear to be running some deeply customized distributed solution that's hard to manage. Let me know if you need me to work with them directly and explain things. I'm off work on vacation through next week and should have time.

Thanks Jason.  The data center guys keep messing this up.  I have 1 server for NCKA and NWKA.  But I have another server for other stuff.  NCKA and NWKA server use ns1-lg and ns2-lg, and the other server uses ns1 and ns2.  This is like the 4th time they've swapped the 2.

-Allen

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
Time to get my old postings organized and work on uploading them.   THANK YOU for the fixes, I know this stuff can be a hole in the space-time continuum.

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
I'm getting complete DNS failure from all devices for this forum currently. I'm not sure if anyone else will be able to get to the forum right now to read this since I had to add an entry for www.northwestkayakanglers.com to my hosts file and point it to the server IP address (173.230.249.151) so I could get here.

A quick investigation shows that the root DNS servers are pointing to ns1-lg and ns2-lg, but those servers are refusing DNS queries for the northwestkayakanglers.com domain. I'm hoping that this is because the zone files for norcalkayakanglers.com are being copied and updated for northwestkayakanglers.com domain, so all will be right with the world once that's complete.

Edit at 9:58 PST: Right as I posted this, things started working normally even without using my hosts file entry. I just ran a new DNS check on the domain and it looks great! Well done! :)

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
I'm glad you guys understand DNS stuff much deeper than I do!

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I'm getting complete DNS failure from all devices for this forum currently. I'm not sure if anyone else will be able to get to the forum right now to read this since I had to add an entry for www.northwestkayakanglers.com to my hosts file and point it to the server IP address (173.230.249.151) so I could get here.

A quick investigation shows that the root DNS servers are pointing to ns1-lg and ns2-lg, but those servers are refusing DNS queries for the northwestkayakanglers.com domain. I'm hoping that this is because the zone files for norcalkayakanglers.com are being copied and updated for northwestkayakanglers.com domain, so all will be right with the world once that's complete.

Edit at 9:58 PST: Right as I posted this, things started working normally even without using my hosts file entry. I just ran a new DNS check on the domain and it looks great! Well done! :)

Yeah, I noticed it was still effed up and told them to just use a copy of the NCKA zone file.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
So is everyone good now?  I gotta start planning the upgrades now ...

-Allen