Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:28:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: SOT Surf & Coastal Kayak Fishing Class  (Read 5466 times)

jself

Just a heads up that I'll be teaching "Sit on Tops in the Surf" and "Coastal Kayak Fishing" at Lumpy Waters Symposium this October in Pacific City.

For more info, check out http://www.lumpywaters.com or call 503-285-0464

Jason

jself

I have changed the classes up a bit to "Coastal Kayak Fishing 1 and 2". Surf zone/ocean experience required for Coastal Kayak Fishing 2. Tons of classes/opportunities for that stuff on Fri. & Sat. Here are the class descriptions:

Sat. Oct. 16
COASTAL KAYAK FISHING 1
Learn the fundamentals of fishing from a kayak from expert kayak angler Jason Self. In this general “how-to” class we will cover gear selection and rigging, special paddling techniques used while fishing, angling strategy, safety & awareness, and tide/conditions management while targeting chinook salmon and sea-run cutthroat trout on flat water at the Salmon River estuary. Oregon fishing license required, fishing gear not provided.

Sun. Oct. 17
COASTAL KAYAK FISHING 2
This class picks up where Coastal Kayak Fishing 1 leaves off, and serves as an introductory to fishing the ocean from a kayak. Previous ocean paddling experience is required, as our goal will be to fish for lingcod, rockfish, and cabezon at Three Rocks/Cascade Head (conditions permitting) and catch red rock crab at the river mouth. This class is perfect for anyone interested in supplementing their food supply on a multi-day sea kayak trip or fishing saltwater in general. Oregon fishing license/shellfish license required. Fishing gear not provided.

PM me if you have any questions.

J

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I really need to practice heading out and coming back in thru the surf, with a bare yak and full wetsuit, before I'll try to do beach launch thru the surf with my gear.

I'll do it right here in my area, though. I'll work it out by reading up, then going out and practicing on my own in very small surf. I am an expert at doing trial and error, with emphasis on the "error". In fact, we could simply take the first letter of the word "trial," throw out the rest, attach the "t" to  "error" and end up with the logical result: "Terror!" :o

I'm on a low budget from here on out.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:56:01 AM by ConeHeadMuddler »
ConeHeadMuddler

jself

No worries CHM. I'm always available if you have any questions. Good luck!

J

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Any time you're going to be in the Twin Harbors area here on the WA coast, let me know! If the surf is decent for surfing, we'll ditch the yaks and go surfing! I can always drum up another stick.

The new plague, SUP, is catching on here. I actually saw one guy who was riding quite gracefully yesterday. The other three guys near him were almost comical, though. Main thing, they were all having fun.

I was out trying to get dialed on a new epoxy 4-fin fish. I was a joke. Dang thing is meant for speed in mushy waves. 6' 8" long, flat rocker, 21" wide, with a 15.5" wide tail (measured 1 foot up from the rear). Unlike my regular stick, it would shoot right out from under me when I stood up after catching the wave. I have to adapt to this rocket! Maybe only jump up into a low crouch! :o

There's a few yak surfers who show up here on regular basis, but they have these little high performance "sink" things that look like fun, but are only for surfing.

I'm still thinking of getting something like a Cobra "Strike."
ConeHeadMuddler

jself

HP surf yaks are sweet. A couple of the guys at the shop are into it & compete in Santa Cruz/Hobuck. I have never tried it. There is a kinda "entry" SOT surf yak.

http://www.dagger.com/product_subcategory/index/product_homepage/recreational_touring/kaos/

They can be tons o fun and pretty easy to deal with because you don't have to roll it when you get clobbered.

jself

This just in:

NWKA's own salmon master Spot will be coaching Coastal Kayak Fishing 1 and 2 along with me at Lumpy Waters Symposium in October.

Spot brings a depth of knowledge on catching salmon from a kayak that is hard to match, and I beleive between the two of us there is a ton of info on fishing and kayaking technique to be shared.

If you are looking to improve skills and knowledge on fishing the coast, this is a great opportunity. If you are looking to improve your kayaking skills, there are tons of kayaking specific classes available too!

jself

A little video from last years symposium.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wNzxoBwnwL4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wNzxoBwnwL4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

jself

not sure why there are two screens.

dillonpdx

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2009
I signed up, though lots of classes are already full.  Got into the 2 fishing one, but had to take some other stuff I didn't really want.  i was hoping to get some surf experience before the second fishing class.

jself

Surf is looking pretty good right now for Sunday. The reality is that people will probably drop and/or change classes at the symposium, so there will probably be opportunity to switch some of those classes to get the ones you want.

We will build up to getting outside, so don't sweat it to hard. Just make sure you bring plenty of rope/leashes to attach everything to the boat.

Jason

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Forecasts look good and have been getting better for Sunday.  Tide looks good as well.  Low in the morning and a big high in the afternoon.

If the surf's small, it shouldn't be much of a problem getting out and back in at the mouth.  If it's big, we'll probably just troll the Salmon for Chinook and Coho and watch the bar for the swell to drop. 

I'm bringing my crap traps and a shovel as back-ups.  There's always something to eat available on the coast.   ;D

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

jself

Crap trap?! ha ha ha ha ;D.

I think that's a great call bringing crab gear and clamming stuff. That's all part of the game!

dillonpdx

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2009
Sounds good, I'll probably head down Thursday night.  I was at Reedsport this weekend, 1 Chinook and 30 crab, not from a yak though:(.  I'm driving a Maroon F150 w/ match canopy.  See you all there.