Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 08:21:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 05:23:17 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:01:25 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 04:21:47 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Looking for kayak anglers in Soldotna Alaska  (Read 3077 times)

CKA Exstream

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
I am a member of the Canadian Kayak Anglers and my wife and I are heading to the area on July 15 for 10 days and would love to hook up with some fellow yak anglers. We don't have our yaks with us, as we are traveling from Nova Scotia Canada.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
You got my number.  Here's another board or two you might try posting on.  Their fishing section also has LOTS of good info specifically to Alaska. 
http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/forumdisplay.php/11-Alaska-Kayaking

This board has info but there is a delay between submitting and posting. 
http://alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Grumpy

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
CKA Exstream,

I am from Norcal Kayak anglers and I left the Soldotna/Ninilcjic/Homer area last week after spending two weeks there with my Hobie Revo.  I wasn't able to hookup with a kayak angler in either place.  I did not connect with a Halibut but I caught a few flounders and rock fish.  I also got into a school of 2-8 pound cod and spent the the better part of an hour landing and releasing some some nice sized fish.  Great pracitice for the real thing.  On two days I also picked up limits of razor clams.  Send me a pm if  you would like details.

Doug

Grumpy

• Krill
Rudy,

Did you get your outback yet?

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Just got it. Hasn't seen water yet. Hopefully tomorrow. I still have (ex) father in law in town.  Headed to kenai in the evening.

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Grumpy,
You still around??

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011
kardial-84
Let's try that new Hobie on the lower Kenai Monday.I saw you'll be busy Fri,Sat,and Sunday with other stuff.Call me and let's make it happen.
Maybe we can take a Nova Scotian with us if he's up to it..You know I have extra boats.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 07:40:42 AM by Mark Collett »
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

CKA Exstream

• Plankton
We are sitting at the airport now. Be landing in anchorage at 7 tonight. Taking off tomorrow morn early and heading to Soldotna. The wife and I would be game for anything. Stay at Kenai river retreat with Marv and Janet St Clair

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
CKA Exstream,
Are oyu here yet ?There are sockeye coming in hard as I type this .I pm'ed you my phone number.Give me a call and let's go get some.............

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.

CKA Exstream

• Plankton
We just getting settled. I'm game for some tomorrow. Our number here is 907-260-3752.

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
   CKA Exstream,
 I just called that number at 5:15---no answer.My wife and I are gonna go try for some of those sockeye at 6 tonite so we'll have to get together later.We will make this happen........just not tonight.
 Be talking with you soon.And welcome to the Great Land.
                                                                                      Mark
                                                                                          :spittake:

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen

Got together with Ted and Sherry this morning by the Kenai River.We have made plans to fish/kayak the Swanson River on Tuesday.Monday's weather was looking pretty wet.Should be some pictures coming as well as a report on our adventure.
  Stay tuned.........

Grumpy

• Krill
Kardinal,

We left Anchorage a few days ago and we are now in Denali.  My last shot this trip for AK ocean kayaking will be Haines next week. 

Glad to hear you got the Hobie.  With the pedals I was able to fish the last couple of hours of your tide change, the slack tide, and first couple of hours of the next tide.   I was able to jig a 3-6 oz jig by adjusting my speed.  By the time I left the Kenai I was very comfortable with the tides.  The Hobie will allow you to go places that wouldn't be possible with paddles.  You were wise to get the Turbo Fins.   

I didn't try the Hobie in any rivers or creeks but it looks like a Hobie could perform in many places that the drift boats do, as long as the water is deep enough for the fins.  You may be the start of a new way of fishing the Kenai, both fresh and salt.   NCKA has a lot of Hobie users who have posted years of experiences, rigging, and ideas, good and bad.  Don't hesitate to contact me or post on NCKA if you have any questions.  Definitely contact me if you get to NorCal.

I got a tip on a hali hole the day I left Ninilchic.  PM me if you're interested.  I don't have the gps numbers but I think I can get you there.  Best of luck.

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
A Report I Don't Want To Make

After making an initial face -to-face contact with Ted and Sherry at the Kenai River Resort ,our 1st planned trip was called off due to nasty weather forcast.I have called a few times and have been unable to connect again,at least by phone.Maybe I need to try to find them in person again.I don't want to interrupt any of their schedualed plans,but I feel sure that their vacation time is starting to run short.
What would be the best course of action to take hear ? They have my phone number.What would you do ?