Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 05:02:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Kayak Fishing For Springers Seminar  (Read 10003 times)

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I want to send a HUGE thank you to Mark an Mike for taking time out of their day to organize and lead this seminar tonight. Also thank you to the owner and employees at Hobb's tackle in Hillsboro for letting us use their place. I learned a ton and it was great information. It was the kind of information one pays a good guide a good chunk of change to acquire. Thank you in a big way gentlemen and I am in your debt. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
I'll second that! It was definitely worth the drive from out of Hood River. HUGE amounts of information were shared tonight by these two gentlemen. I feel like I'll at least have an idea as to what to look for and where to go to get started.

You'll all notice I was sitting in the front row?

True
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

Quillback

Thank you Mark & Mike for a great presentation & your incites on salmon fishing. Sharing your experiences, knowledge & techniques has definitely moved me up on the learning curve. Now all I need to do is get on the water before I forget.

sherminator

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
I'll add to praise - that was a really great presentation. The alternating back & forth was very effective - it seemed like there were zero pauses in the delivery, just non-stop information flowing. The one point that really stuck with me is to keep working the same stretch of water until you really know it, and not jump around. Kind of like my boyhood duck pond - I knew exactly where the birds would fly, set down, rest, etc.  The problem now is which stretch of which river to pick?
15x tournament loser
2011 Hobie Oasis (yellow)
2014 Hobie Revo  (red)
2017 Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL

Dray

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Thanks Spot and Jammer for that great presentation last night.  I've leaned a bunch of info from reading your articles on this site, but seeing demonstrated and the detailed explainations really helps fill in all the gaps.  I'm faily new to both kayaking and fishing so all this info is HUGE help!  Thanks again.

Dave
Dave

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Great job last guys. Looking forward to seeing the on water portion of the presentation. Fishing with both of these guys before I've seen them both hook up within two minutes of starting the days fishing. They make it look WAY too easy.

Dray

• Lingcod
Great job last guys. Looking forward to seeing the on water portion of the presentation. Fishing with both of these guys before I've seen them both hook up within two minutes of starting the days fishing. They make it look WAY too easy.

I believe it: I'm very interested in the on the water portion.  Is there a tentative date/time for this yet?
Dave

Dray

• Lingcod
Again, I'm new to this game so I've got plenty of Q's....

Anyone use those bait holders for trolling herring?  If not why?  Seems so easy...
Dave

islandson671

• Heroes On The Water NWest
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010

Anyone use those bait holders for trolling herring?  If not why?  Seems so easy...
I've tried it, gives a really good roll to the bait. I have caught 2 cohos using it. Plan to use it more this year.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Dray

• Lingcod

I've tried it, gives a really good roll to the bait. I have caught 2 cohos using it. Plan to use it more this year.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

You have a specific brand that you prefer?
Dave

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
They can be a great option for saltwater/ocean coho/chinooks however they are not used when fishing for Springers (Columbia/Willamette).  99.9% of successful springer fishermen just plug cut their herring when they choose to use herring.  Will they catch fish, sure..most anything will sooner or later... but IMO a well spun herring will out fish them every time.

kykfshr

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Also instead of the bait holders consider the Norseman bait hook for fishing whole baits.

The only place that I have experienced whole herring out fish plug cuts for springers is at Drano lake. The smaller red labels fished whole are sometimes the ticket instead of the cut plugged larger baits.

Scott

C_Run

• Sturgeon
Thanks Spot and Jammer for the great presentation. "Spin-spin-spin", I think I get it now. I think I figured out why I have never done too well plunking prawns  in the Willamette up where I live. Prawn just hanging like a wet rag- no spin.

Jammer, I thought of a few questions after the talk.

1. Have you ever caught steelhead with the prawn spinner, either intentionally or just by chance?
2. Do you ever use any other bait with that spinner besides prawns?
3. What do you think about plunking /bouncing that rig from an anchored kayak like up river here where I am?

Thanks again.

Chris

Jammer

• KayakFishingOregon.com
  • Sturgeon
  • Kayak Fishing Oregon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Thanks Spot and Jammer for the great presentation. "Spin-spin-spin", I think I get it now. I think I figured out why I have never done too well plunking prawns  in the Willamette up where I live. Prawn just hanging like a wet rag- no spin.

Jammer, I thought of a few questions after the talk.

1. Have you ever caught steelhead with the prawn spinner, either intentionally or just by chance?
2. Do you ever use any other bait with that spinner besides prawns?
3. What do you think about plunking /bouncing that rig from an anchored kayak like up river here where I am?

Thanks again.

Chris

1. I haven't specifically targeted steelhead using this technique, but heard of quite a few Steelhead caught on Prawn Spinners. I watched a guy in small aluminum boat catch a Steelhead right off GR park a few weeks ago using a Prawn Spinner.
2. I haven't yet tried, but if your referring to using that set up I showed you guys during the clinic, I'm sure it would work with Fresh Prawn tail, worm or even eggs too.. Lets try it
3. As long as your Prawn is spinning and even if anchored, you're gonna catch fish. Just make sure you're anchored in the channel where the fish are moving up..
Thanks for your questions and all your great comments guys..
JMR
• Stohlquist • Team Daiwa • Yakima Bait Company

2015 Hobie Fishing Team "Top Gun"
2012 Hobie Worlds Team USA - 19th place
2012 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2010 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place
2010 Cape Dis. Dungie Tourney - 1st place

KAYAK FISHING OREGON
www.youtube.com/jmrischer

Quillback

One of the things Jammer mentioned during his presentation was adjusting the rudder with his left hand while working the fish.  I noticed he had a left handed reel which made it easier working with the rudder control, net and rod.  This has been mentioned before but I wanted to bring it up again.

anything