Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 05:30:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 05:42:39 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: How I know you should wear a PFD all the time  (Read 4188 times)

Fishesfromtupperware

• Sturgeon
  • Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
Ok, you asked,
Why I know you should ALWAYS wear a pfd. Not sometimes, not most of the time, ALL of the time. How do I know?
Because the one time that I NEEDED a pfd I did not have one on or in the boat (which is why I'm such a big advocate of them now). To make a long story longer, my boat with a new thru-hull fitting (another story ::) ) filled with water and sank.
 Our boats are slightly positively buoyant even completely swamped. But if you fill it with an anchor, and a battery, and other misc. fishing junk, it gets to be slightly negatively buoyant. I was in Lake Pontchartrain in N.O., it's relatively shallow (avg < 20') and warm (+80o). But negatively buoyant means it sinks and keeping it off the bottom meant I had to support myself and pull the boat and the water in it up to keep it off the bottom. I also found out that Lake P does have some slight current that was going offshore at the time. This was a VERY uncomfortable situation.
  Luckily, my nephew was a few hundred yards away (sleeping) and eventually paddled to my rescue. By the time he got to me, I was almost exhausted.  After I caught my breath, I had him tow the swamped boat (submarine) a little under a mile back to shore while I swam along side.
 Now, I was in the most optimal conditions for foolishness like that to happen (warm water, calm seas, close rescue) and I damn near drowned because I didn't have a PFD (that and I was too stupid to let the boat go). Throw cold water into that equation and I'd be a statistic. Y'all get the idea.
 Yeah, that was a rerun, but its probably the most important "Don't  Ask" story I have. So Don't Ask why you need to wear a pfd. Just wear it!  I have one on now at the dinner table.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 08:58:20 PM by Fishesfromtupperware »
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
"How I know you should wear a PFD all the time"

Because I don't want to die by means that others will read about later and wonder "how could he have been so f'n stupid!!!"

That's how I know I should wear a PFD all the time  ^-^
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Thanks for the cautionary tale Wali.

I have one on now at the dinner table.

It's true, Wali has one on all the time now under his T-shirt.  He may seem like a fairly big guy, but really under the clothing is a PFD  and a skinny 140 lb man.  This extra PFD also makes his magic fish dance more spectacular.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

bad lattitude

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Thanks for the story. Glad things turned out well for you.
None of us is as dumb as all of us.

FlyingW

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Fishesfromtupperware,
I appreciate your story, and am glad you are ok. That is one big lake down there, and quite a swim. I'm personally thankful for having my pfd being a force of habit more than a thought as I went for a swim at the end of a rapid on the Deschutes river. Plus, the ones now days are much more comfortable to wear than the orange ones I used as a kid.

My only add to this topic is to dress for the water. I catch myself being lazy, and just wearing whatever (mostly to avoid sunburn) despite the water being cold which is about as smart as my not wearing a pfd.