Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 03:25:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:01:25 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 04:21:47 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Halibut trip close to Anchor Point  (Read 5699 times)

dudemandude

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Well the second attempt to catch halibut from a kayak was a success! Only took about 17 and half hours in the kayak over 3 days lol! I have a few pics. It was a blast caught 4 halibut first a 8, 10, 12 and then the final one was a 27 pound halibut. The week before in the same area we caught a 8 pound halibut from shore, dropping the line about 100 yards off shore.

The kayak is a http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/angler_editions/malibu_two_xl_angler.html My wife and I are able to go out in it and it is a great one person kayak too. We went about a mile and half off shore in about 60 ft of water. Caught some halibut in about 35 ft of water and the one from shore was in water only about 15 ft deep.

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Nice little 'buts.

I am impressed you caught them in such shallow water! They look very tasty
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Good job!!!  Can't wait to get out and try it again. I hope to fish bigger baits for bigger fish this next time. Just suck it up and fish for two decent fish.

Its not easy but even the ten pounders are awful satisfying and a blast from a yak!!!!!!!
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
good job. Persistance pays off. You alaska guys are killing me with the 'buts!!

Keep it up,jealous..
See ya on the water..
Roy

dudemandude

• Lingcod
Yeah, I am going to try one set up with a bigger bait but would love to catch a King from the kayak. I hope to anchor up again but hope to have my anchor set up correctly because of the currents last time trying to anchor was pretty crazy! Will be using brined hooligan for bait and maybe half a sockeye head on a circle hook for a bigger halibut. The reason for anchoring is because of the wind and the currents, if you aren't paying attention you will drift like 3 miles in like 45 mins and paddling against the wind is not fun.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 04:23:23 PM by dudemandude »

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Dude!  Nice fish.
Man!  Wish I had halibut that accessiable.
Dude!  Can't wait for more reports from Alaska.

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

bjoakland

• Salmon
  • Piscis Venator
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Nice chickens!  Good eats, there.

I need to get out and fish for me!  I get to watch and even photograph fish most days, but as they aren't my stories to tell, I leave them off the site.  August and the remote trips are right around the corner.  I'll get some 'Yak Monkey Tales spun out around that time, if I get to do some personal fishing this year.  - read previous comment as jealousy -  ;)
•• If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~ Doug Larson ••

fishnut

• Salmon
  • 1st Recipient of 2012 A$$hat Award
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Nice catch. 15-60ftof water? You got it made in the shade. Way to go.

dudemandude

• Lingcod
Some other pictures and trips to that area. One is my brother fighting a halibut from shore and some clams we dug up. One of the sunset pictures and I can't wait to go back lol.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Dudeman!  That rocks!!  Thanks for sharing with us.  I'm jealous as hell.

Mmmmm Mountainhouse.  Mmmmmmm  :laugh:

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Grumpy

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
Dude,

Are the butts still biting in your area?  I am up from NCKA and would love to land a small butt in my Hobie?

ohbryant

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2010
I wanna go to Alaska!  Told my wife, she said cold in the summer was not for her, said me and the boys would go.  I hear it's a bit of a drive though : (  Nice Haul!

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Dude,

Are the butts still biting in your area?  I am up from NCKA and would love to land a small butt in my Hobie?

I think the fish are closer in May but they are available fairly close all summer long.  We've caught them in small skiffs into September.

Another option is water taxi out of Seward.  Have not done it out of my yak but will be doing so sometime this summer.

My company just bought three used boats for oil spill response 17 to 22 ft.  I might have to make sure they are "safe" and take them out with my kayak as the safety dinghyon board! lol

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Grumpy

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011

Thanks for the tip.  I will be watching for a spot tomorrow on my way to Homer.

I tried the shore line just south of town in Seward.  I picked up some trout looking fish, a couple of rockfish that looked similar to a Calif cabezone, with large sharp eyeguards, and a couple of flounders.  I kept the flounders for dinner.

If you get to CA and would like to try fishing or ab diving in Northern CA, look me up.  I am also Grumpy on NCKA.

Thanks again,

Doug

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Watch the king conservation zones. But that's only an issue after u catch a king. Whiskey gulch is about mile  152. 5 miles north of anchor point.

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

anything