Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:08:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:01:15 PM]

[Today at 08:45:55 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: ORC 2023 Mark your calenders!  (Read 7975 times)

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
easy to predict the winner will be launching off fogarty than.  from what i always seen was smooth at past events, not that big a deal. whatever, just glad ORC is happening either way.

Sound to me like you better launch from Fogerty then.  I like the idea of spreading out the congestion.  Depoe parking is always a zoo especially on tournament day.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
easy to predict the winner will be launching off fogarty than.  from what i always seen was smooth at past events, not that big a deal. whatever, just glad ORC is happening either way.

Why would you think the winner will launch from fogarty?  Interested in your theory.

I will be at the campground Thursday-Sunday.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
This talk of North Fogarty is interesting, except all previous ORCs boundaries ended far south of North Fogarty.
This is from 2019, 2017 and 2021 use the same map.

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Why would you think the winner will launch from fogarty?  Interested in your theory.
X2

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
All good points. I have been working with the fine folks at Next Adventure to get this event back up and running. I know we are a little behind, but it is in process and going to work out.

I have also been working on revising the boundary. NA is working on the web site for the event and if my recommendations are approved the open fishing areas will be expanded to include more areas around Fogarty Creek. There will be a new map once the page is finalized.

1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
This talk of North Fogarty is interesting, except all previous ORCs boundaries ended far south of North Fogarty.
This is from 2019, 2017 and 2021 use the same map.
Before 2016 the old ORC north boundary was Rabbit Rock, about halfway between Government Point & Fogarty. Don't remember exactly which year the boundaries got shortened. I'm fine with launching from Fogarty. Sounds like new boundaries are being formulated.

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
X2
ok well the reef outside of fogarty is known to bring in big lingcod more consistantly than area that has been the past orc`s boundaries, not that it has not brought in some bigguns as well , eh zach? my PB came from there too. as far as predictions? u know their not 100%, be interesting to see. so, either way am good with whatever.

dampainter

• Salmon
as far as parking?, never been much of an issue for me and i pull a trailer. not once has it been an issue. with that said i realize others have had parking issues but none that i know of, had only heard of. u could have 2 kayakers go out there and there are some boaters who would bitch about that too. that lies where i have heard the most bitching i always posted the event on other sites and told as many boaters as i could but there is always a couple that show up turn and head to newport. or hang and park up top like  alot do anyway on a busy day. most understand i believe it`s a once a year thing not like kayaks take over every day and the orc only lasts a little more than half a day. 99% were are ok with that and most i talk to think it`s super cool and wihed they could get in on it etc....

« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 06:15:52 PM by dampainter »

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Not to be a contrarian, and I don't know the actual numbers, but sooooo many ORC-winning fish have been caught literally right out of the hole around the buoys, including my 24 lb ling from 2017. 
My point with this is that there are always plenty of fish to catch in the boundaries we've previously used and those boundaries are already too big of an area from a risk management standpoint.
My opinion, after being involved with the planning in many previous years, is that one launch and land point is far safer and easier to manage. And launching out the hole, despite the shitty parking situation, is much safer because the Coast Guard is right there, managing the situation if we need help, which we have needed to use several times in past years.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Another thing to consider is that Fogarty is only fishable on relatively nice days. Depending on the tide height and swell, there are times where Fogarty is not launchable and becomes incredibly dangerous. The "channel" out of the cove there isn't marked, and it's all too easy for someone unfamiliar with that beach to take a NW tack out of the cove and get crushed by a wave coming over the shallow reef. If the swell picks up in the late morning, you have to make the long trudge all the way to Depoe to land. You only learn Fogarty by spending a lot of time there on various swell+tide heights.

Depoe, on the other hand, is a much safer launch option. The channel is easy to navigate (just head straight to the first buoy and you're golden). The CG gives you the yay-or-nay regarding whether the bar is safe to cross. If it's nasty, the CG won't let you launch. It's hard to mess that one up, even for the uninitiated.

There are big lings to catch at Depoe. I don't fish there as much anymore because of the congestion of boats coming and going all the time, but it's definitely the safer bet of the two sites.

Just food for thought. I don't want to hear of anyone getting hurt at such a fun event as ORC.
aMayesing Bros.

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Another thing to consider is that Fogarty is only fishable on relatively nice days. Depending on the tide height and swell, there are times where Fogarty is not launchable and becomes incredibly dangerous. The "channel" out of the cove there isn't marked, and it's all too easy for someone unfamiliar with that beach to take a NW tack out of the cove and get crushed by a wave coming over the shallow reef. If the swell picks up in the late morning, you have to make the long trudge all the way to Depoe to land. You only learn Fogarty by spending a lot of time there on various swell+tide heights.

Depoe, on the other hand, is a much safer launch option. The channel is easy to navigate (just head straight to the first buoy and you're golden). The CG gives you the yay-or-nay regarding whether the bar is safe to cross. If it's nasty, the CG won't let you launch. It's hard to mess that one up, even for the uninitiated.

There are big lings to catch at Depoe. I don't fish there as much anymore because of the congestion of boats coming and going all the time, but it's definitely the safer bet of the two sites.

Just food for thought. I don't want to hear of anyone getting hurt at such a fun event as ORC.

Exactly this. All of it.

This event absolutely has to take into account the fact that there are many people who compete, every time we have done it, where it's their first time on the salt. That's one of the primary reasons we kept coming back to do it at Depoe in the past. PC had, and still does, have all kinds of upsides to it for this event. And also hosted the 1st one. But the surf and lack of go/no go authority provided by the Coasties always made Depoe much more appealing from a safety standpoint.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

dampainter

• Salmon
need the "like" button`s here, another point well made.... SAFETY. 

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
We have another conference with NA this Friday. I will bring up the concerns and maybe just cancel the additional launch site all together. I gave up on fighting the chaos of Depoe Bay in the summer.

1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
I am sure many are caught up North but the current boundaries hold plenty of big fish.  I picked up 2 40"+ lings in 2021 and was well within the North boundary.  I know several big lings are caught each year on the southern boundary too.  I would be totally bummed if the southern boundary moved north.  Looking forward to the event either way tho.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 10:53:32 AM by Zach.Dennis »
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
Any update on the sign up and boundaries?
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

anything