Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:23:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:45:55 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Non-triumphant return, and seeking Hobie V2 Idler cable  (Read 2046 times)

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Hey All,

There was a time when I was all over this board, grinding 60-100+ days/year on the yak in search of salmon! Bought a PB to fit my growing family and my Hobie use dropped off calamitously last year.

I had an exciting plan this weekend to re-energize the kayak program. On short notice drove up to Sekiu solo to fish the Caves on perfectly timed high tides evening and morning. I envisioned a fish each day, an early return home Sunday, and a triumphant return to NWKA posting with a report and pics.

Well the plan didn’t quite work out. Made it to Sekiu with a plan to sleep in my car at Mason’s (they charge only $5/night!) 100’ from the launch and 100yds from the start of the Caves. To start with there were a ton of people there- turns out I had happened upon “Sekiu Days” and my sleeping spot was in ground zero of a massive party including significant fireworks (official and otherwise), a loud PA system, laser show and more. Totally nuts!

It was breezy but I got onto the water and made it around the corner to the Caves. No marks first 30 mins, was hoping tide change would shift things up. As I was going out my drive was creaky. It had been almost a year since last used, but it had been fine last time. As I kept going I started to hear a clicking. Upon inspection the idler cable was well loose (I had scoped it prior) and coming off of the wheel. With head on a swivel in whitecaps, I pulled out the drive and tightened the nuts. Patting myself on the back I put the drive back in, and also noted the arrival of chinook marks.

Within 30 seconds of re-starting the cable snapped. Bummer! I kept pedaling and was happy to find that the drive still worked, just not well. A good thing, as I had forgotten my paddle at home. I had 4 flashers with me which were going to be propulsion plan B.

The drive worked but not well, and slowly got worse. Despite trolling over and through marks nothing was hitting, maybe b/c I couldn’t get the right speed and dr cable angle. I finally made the right choice to point in to shore.

I was going to head back around the jetty to the launch, but the drive was really slow and loudly squeaky. Plus there were scores of loaded revelers massing at the top of the ramp, and fireworks time was nigh. I hauled myself and my gear out on the beach and got everything unpacked with 2 mins to spare before the display. Ended up renting a boat at Van Riper’s the next day which was kind if a save but no FF, no DR, and the bite was not happening. Possibly due to the hours of earth-shaking salvos into the wee morning hours (all within yards of my truck/sleeping spot).

So now my question to you folks is does anyone know where I can get one of those cables? I called Kevin at Outdoor Emporium and he let me know they were a hot commodity this summer, currently backordered. I looked on Amazon and Google, so far not much luck. Hoping folks here may have an angle on a shop or some ideas for me. The part is the Mirage Drive Idler Cable V2, part number 81203 or 81203-001. If you have any ideas please text me at 206-819-3776, I live in West Seattle. Amped to get the kayak program rolling again, but for now I’m kind of dead in the water! Any advice or assistance would be appreciated, thanks!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 03:13:49 PM by Dawn Patrol »

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I have an idler cable you can have.
Used but still has some miles left.
PM me for pictures if you want

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
Right on, thanks! PM sent

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Hey All,

There was a time when I was all over this board, grinding 60-100+ days/year on the yak in search of salmon! Bought a PB to fit my growing family and my Hobie use dropped off calamitously last year.

I had an exciting plan this weekend to re-energize the kayak program. On short notice drove up to Sekiu solo to fish the Caves on perfectly timed high tides evening and morning. I envisioned a fish each day, an early return home Sunday, and a triumphant return to NWKA posting with a report and pics.

Well the plan didn’t quite work out. Made it to Sekiu with a plan to sleep in my car at Mason’s (they charge only $5/night!) 100’ from the launch and 100yds from the start of the Caves. To start with there were a ton of people there- turns out I had happened upon “Sekiu Days” and my sleeping spot was in ground zero of a massive party including significant fireworks (official and otherwise), a loud PA system, laser show and more. Totally nuts!

It was breezy but I got onto the water and made it around the corner to the Caves. No marks first 30 mins, was hoping tide change would shift things up. As I was going out my drive was creaky. It had been almost a year since last used, but it had been fine last time. As I kept going I started to hear a clicking. Upon inspection the idler cable was well loose (I had scoped it prior) and coming off of the wheel. With head on a swivel in whitecaps, I pulled out the drive and tightened the nuts. Patting myself on the back I put the drive back in, and also noted the arrival of chinook marks.

Within 30 seconds of re-starting the cable snapped. Bummer! I kept pedaling and was happy to find that the drive still worked, just not well. A good thing, as I had forgotten my paddle at home. I had 4 flashers with me which were going to be propulsion plan B.

The drive worked but not well, and slowly got worse. Despite trolling over and through marks nothing was hitting, maybe b/c I couldn’t get the right speed and dr cable angle. I finally made the right choice to point in to shore.

I was going to head back around the jetty to the launch, but the drive was really slow and loudly squeaky. Plus there were scores of loaded revelers massing at the top of the ramp, and fireworks time was nigh. I hauled myself and my gear out on the beach and got everything unpacked with 2 mins to spare before the display. Ended up renting a boat at Van Riper’s the next day which was kind if a save but no FF, no DR, and the bite was not happening. Possibly due to the hours of earth-shaking salvos into the wee morning hours (all within yards of my truck/sleeping spot).

So now my question to you folks is does anyone know where I can get one of those cables? I called Kevin at Outdoor Emporium and he let me know they were a hot commodity this summer, currently backordered. I looked on Amazon and Google, so far not much luck. Hoping folks here may have an angle on a shop or some ideas for me. The part is the Mirage Drive Idler Cable V2, part number 81203 or 81203-001. If you have any ideas please text me at 206-819-3776, I live in West Seattle. Amped to get the kayak program rolling again, but for now I’m kind of dead in the water! Any advice or assistance would be appreciated, thanks!

Nice to see you around man. I broke like 5 of these, I’d either get them online or Sportco/Gig Harbor fly shop.

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
Nice to see you around man. I broke like 5 of these, I’d either get them online or Sportco/Gig Harbor fly shop

Thanks man, and likewise! The amount of stuff I learned from you on here is ridiculous, grateful for your wisdom. Hopefully you are still tending to the NWKA prospects. And I’m glad you are still fishing hard, go figure.

Sportco and everyone are sold out of these things for some reason. While chasing one online I called some shop in NY, they offered to put me on a waitlist, would have been #18! Apparently they are on order but Hobie having supply chain issues. Grateful for Monkeyfist’s kind offer, pretty awesome. bogueYaker sent me a link for an improvised fix which looks like it works pretty well, going to get some of this bungee cable as a backup: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=93308.0

kredden

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Yeah, sorry about that!  Two weeks ago Hobie had the cables availability as being "Late June" and then last week they changed it to "Researching" which generally means they have no clue when it will be available.  The best you can do right now is to call around to various dealers to see if they happen to have one.  I just had a customer that found one in Idaho, she was told that they had had it sitting around since 2019!

Kevin

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
No worries, whole world has had supply chain issues last few years and we know you are always looking out for the crew. Thanks to Monkeyfist and Bogue I’ll be back up and running soon, and am ordering 2 new ones for when they come in. May see you at OE today, getting a few things ahead of the MA9 opener.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I had to replace one a couple of months ago, and if you keep digging through Google results you may find a vendor somewhere that still has some - I did. Good luck!

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
I replaced mine late last year, found one on ebay no problem, but that was then...
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
I would call Nestucca Adventures and see if they ship.  The owner has helped me with older parts no longer found on the site.  He has quite the inventory of spare parts in his back room.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

FishingAddict

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
I just installed this after market idler cable.  So far so good after a 7 hour trip last last week.  I can not find an original Hobie idler cable anywhere on the internet.  Package came from a Pennsylvania address.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BP1QW2RG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 10:35:14 AM by FishingAddict »