Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 09:45:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Knappton in the morning ---now for Labor Day Weekend  (Read 4628 times)

tiderider

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
I'll probably put in at 9-9:30 AM on Sunday at Knappton. Hope to see you.

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011
  Looks like Tuesday the 2nd we will be allowed to keep up to 3 hatchery coho. But this weekend only hatchery Kings and clipped silvers. I have an idea about what I'll be hooking........

In the Lower Columbia above Buoy 10 to the Rocky Point-Tongue Point boundary line, it is open for chinook, hatchery coho and steelhead through Aug. 29 (only hatchery chinook may be kept from Aug. 30-Sept. 1). Daily limit is two salmon or two hatchery steelhead or one of each, and only one can be a chinook. From Sept. 2-30, the daily limit will increase to three adult hatchery coho, but no more than two hatchery steelhead

The quote above came from the Seattle Times.

tiderider-- be looking for you. The more the merrier. And it's a big river. I should be there just before 9.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 05:19:05 PM by Mark Collett »
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  Here  we go again............

Arrived at Knappton about 8:30 Sunday morning--low tide was at 11:15. As I was putting in a PB'er was already pulling out having limited out he and his partner. Cool....some good news .Maybe that little rain did help bring in some biters.
  On the water , rigged up with an 8 oz slider with a green Toman Thumper 40 inches behind my swivel and drop down til I feel bottom and kick it into gear.  As I get to the last pilings I see an interesting slick a ways out and turn that direction. TAKE-DOWN....I had only been on the water less than 10 minutes.  Nice pull going on then the "silver leap" And no fin ....sweet. Made sure that when my sinker got near the surface that I would make sure to keep the tension on the fish. She made a few strong runs each time I got her near the yak.....fun stuff. Had all my ducks in a row...pulled her close in sweet as pie---smoothly into the net. YES!!!!
  Looking out across the river at lots of boats. Most are way out in the channel--very few near shore... They just don't know how many fish are in close. My Lowrance was chirping strongly most of the time I was out. And I kept working downriver with the tide. working .working..working
  By now I'm down to the shipwreck and it's just about low tide. Knowing how the rip can get off Dismal Nitch I started heading back upstream. In 25' FOW as I make a turn toward deeper water TAKEDOWN... A quick burning run of line and a few head shakes later I bring a native coho next to the yak. damhik. off he goes.
  I continue zig zagging upriver and get in that cruising, laid back rhythm that being on the water can induce when a f*&%ing 10 foot sea lion comes roaring out of the water with a salmon in his mouth not 15 feet off my left side. Scared the living s&*t outa me. Okay...not so much scared as startled. I never felt threatened by any pinnipeds .There were just a  lot of harbor seals and sea lions out there.
  Couldn't find any clipped kings but still had a good day .
  Meet up with tiderider for a short time. Always a pleasure to meet new people on the water. I don't think he had great luck but that will be his story.

Going once more on Tuesday.....then its time to start hitting the Willapa Bay and River. Stay tuned.......
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 09:29:28 AM by Mark Collett »

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.

daveo

• Rockfish
  • Dave Ohlsen Photography
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011
Nice job Mark!  John & I went off Clatsop spit

daveo

• Rockfish
  • Dave Ohlsen Photography
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011
Sorry, somehow the message sent before I was ready. Anyway John and I both got limits out of our yaks. We had a great time but this is some SERIOUS water with big impact from tides, wind, and boat wakes. It takes some careful planning and caution or you could get into trouble very fast out there. The upside for us this time was some fantastic fishing.

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
Nice job, Mark!

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen

Thanks Fred....

Tommorrow (Tuesday) will probably be my last time fishing the Colombia this year.

Intel has it that the Willapa is heating up and it is so much closer to home.

Will be getting to Knappton about 11 am to work the tides. Come on down if you'd like to get in on the raised (to 3) coho limits.

tiderider

• Herring
I put in about 20 minutes after Mark at Knappton but ran into a disabled PB on the way out. Had to tow him in against the current. Worked up a sweat in my drysuit. I drifted to shipwreck on the outgoing tide and mooched with herring in about 30 fow. No takers. CHalk that up to me being a newbie cause everybody else was doin great. Mark drifted up when the tide was taking us back to knappton. Offerred me a kone zone flasher which I tried for the short drift remaining. He also advised me to go up to 8oz cannonball. I think this rig would have produced had I tried it earlier. Anyways, beautiful day on the mighty C and it was a pleasure to meet Mark and snap that pic of his catch.

Good luck on the Willapa Mark. Let me know if you're headed south again!

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen

Hey Jim (tiderider)

I'm heading down in about half an hour. Be launching about 11:00. See ya there if you make it. I'll be more helpful this time to try to bust your cherry.

tiderider

• Herring
Wish I could Mark. It's back to work. Thanks for the offer and Good Luck!