Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:59:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Hobie Oasis GearTrac Install with GT90, Fullback, and Screwball  (Read 9585 times)

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Besides one other post on NWKA from a few years ago and a few pictures I could dig up on Google Image Search, I couldn't find much about putting YakAttack's GT90 GearTrac system on a Hobie Oasis. So I thought I'd share my experience. I'm very pleased with the results.

I went with the GT90 system due to limited width in the areas I wanted to install. I understand the trade-offs with the track systems vs. flush mounts, etc. and I'm comfortable with my choice. I already have several RAM ball-mount accessories and so with the addition of a few Screwball attachments I can move everything between yaks easily. For heavy trolling I'll use a spline-mount base for my RAM rod holders with a converter to the GearTrac system.

The Oasis is a challenging install due to relatively narrow gunwales and all of the deck hardware for two people, in addition to stowed paddles on both sides of the boat. In order to "measure twice, cut once", my copilot and me spent several weeks discussing the location for the tracks. Once we decided on lengths, we put the kayak in the yard, loaded it up with seats and paddles, etc. and started positioning the tracks. We did not end up with a symmetrical install, but the paddles are offset (as you would expect) and this presents some challenges.

We ended up with a 12 inch track and an 8 inch track in both cockpits, offset to accommodate the stowed paddles and deck hardware.

Fore cockpit, starboard side:
No challenges here. Before drilling I re-positioned it slightly to be centered on the gear pocket. This is a 12-inch GT90.

Fore cockpit, port side:
The paddle for the fore position is stowed on this side, and its blade gets in the way of a more forward install. By putting an 8-inch track here I still get some usable mounting space at about the right distance from the seat.

Aft cockpit, starboard side:
Here the retention bungee and related hardware for the aft paddle gets in the way of putting a 12-inch track by the gear pocket. I decided I liked having the 8-inch a bit farther away from the seat in this case. You could also just pull the bungee over the track, but I felt this would interfere with use of the track and I liked this solution better.

Aft cockpit, port side:
Nearly free of obstruction here, so I centered the 12-inch track on the gear pocket, the same as the fore starboard one.

Before doing the final fine-tuning positioning of the tracks I outfitted the boat with seats and sat down in it to run some scenarios. Everything is a series of trade-offs of course. I realize that in the event of a huli re-entry may be made more difficult due to accessory locations. But overall I'm satisfied we made the right choices.

For the next step, I finely positioned the track and applied tape tightly across the track in as many places as possible. Using the recommended method, I drilled through the first track hole, dropped a screw in the resulting hole, and proceeded to drill the remaining holes.

Due to the tight internal spacing of the gunwales (especially in the front cockpit), and for ease of installation, I sprang for the YakAttack Fullbacks, which are pre-drilled/threaded backing plates. This greatly eased the labor of getting the screws in place and I was able to install all four tracks inside of a couple of hours. In some cases it helps to have a 10-year old set of hands helping get up inside the gunwale.  ;D

The screws fit so precisely into the Fullbacks that I doubt any water could ever find its way in. Regardless, I put a small dab of marine RTV sealant in each screw hole before proceeding.

A fresh aluminum track installed correctly looks pretty sweet.

First thing after tightening the screws I fitted one of my RAM rod holders to the new track with a 1.5-inch Screwball. It goes on as well as expected and the position looks great.

My apprentice approves as well.

I will append this post in the coming weeks with more post-install pictures and comments as to functionality. There are a couple more, mostly redundant, pictures in my gallery.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
That looks slick!  Nice work. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

• Chris
  • True Life: I'm Addicted To Kayak Fishing
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
Clean install, thanks for sharing!
1st Place 2015 Chinook Showdown 
8th Place 2014 AOTD
1st Place 2013 AOTD                        
"Everyone should believe in something,  I believe I'll go fishing."

Sponsorship and Support:
Waxer's Surf Shop
Hobie Fishing Team
Lancer Jigs
Pro-Cure Scents

tiderider

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
Nice work. I noticed the position of you rod holder. I mounted my track similarly and youll probably turn the rod holder so the rod crosses over your legs and points off the opposite side of the kayak. Otherwise the rod handle interferes with the legs when pedaling the mirage drive. Not a problem with a fly rod but certainly is with a bait caster. Have fun.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Nice work. I noticed the position of you rod holder. I mounted my track similarly and youll probably turn the rod holder so the rod crosses over your legs and points off the opposite side of the kayak. Otherwise the rod handle interferes with the legs when pedaling the mirage drive. Not a problem with a fly rod but certainly is with a bait caster. Have fun.

Yes, definitely. Some others on the board have mentioned that as well. A little less ruddering required that way to maintain a true path as well I assume.

SamM

• Lingcod
  • McDowellHome
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Looks great Lauren!  Thought about going a similar route with my oasis - have Scotty flush mounted in front of each pocket instead.

Sam
got stop wishing,
     got to go fishing...
          - Jimmy Buffett

Hobie Oasis, Outback, i11s

threecreeks

• Lingcod
  • "Life is tough, but it's tougher when yur stupid"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
Pretty cool install. I kinda miss the good old days of DIY. Comparing notes on installs and set ups.
Cobra F-n-Dive / Hobie Pro Angler 14

Dark Knight 44

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
I nice to know as I am in the process of mounting items and looking for ideas... 8)

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Thanks, all! Hopefully this helps someone. Looks like I will have a chance to use it this weekend as I'll be doing some freshwater trolling Saturday and possibly Sunday.

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Let me know how that screwball works. With the left-hand tension of the rod trolling will want to unscrew the ball?
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Let me know how that screwball works. With the left-hand tension of the rod trolling will want to unscrew the ball?

I've read both sides of that argument and talked to several people who run them. You'll notice on the YakAttack site they label those for use with "light and medium-duty" situations. They recommend the spline-mount base on the GearTrac (two points of contact with the track) for "heavy" applications.

I will see how it goes and report back. I'm not too concerned for trout/kokanee/etc. I'm sure with bigger fish it could be an issue depending on your setup.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon

I've read both sides of that argument and talked to several people who run them. You'll notice on the YakAttack site they label those for use with "light and medium-duty" situations. They recommend the spline-mount base on the GearTrac (two points of contact with the track) for "heavy" applications.

I will see how it goes and report back. I'm not too concerned for trout/kokanee/etc. I'm sure with bigger fish it could be an issue depending on your setup.

Also there's this, if you want to use your ball-mount but not worry about the "unscrewing" effect: http://www.yakattack.us/TBK_1005_p/tbk-1005.htm

No, I'm not a shill for yakattack. I kind of wish I was, though.  ;D

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011

Also there's this, if you want to use your ball-mount but not worry about the "unscrewing" effect: http://www.yakattack.us/TBK_1005_p/tbk-1005.htm

No, I'm not a shill for yakattack. I kind of wish I was, though.  ;D

Aaahhh! that looks much better!
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Or you can make your own fixed-angle base for your rod holder which fits in your gear track, and which won't creep from the tension which the line places on the rod.  See http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=13167.0 .

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Or you can make your own fixed-angle base for your rod holder which fits in your gear track, and which won't creep from the tension which the line places on the rod.  See http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=13167.0 .

Yes! I recall that thread - good stuff. They now make a similar solution, which I've purchased for my spline-base RAM mount: http://www.yakattack.us/MMS_12_p/mms-12.htm

anything