Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 03:26:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:21:15 PM]

[Today at 01:13:47 PM]

[May 31, 2024, 09:49:03 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:48:30 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:40:29 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 02:46:19 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 01:49:12 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:59:33 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:42:05 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:40:13 AM]

by Spot
[May 29, 2024, 11:32:10 AM]

[May 28, 2024, 07:37:19 AM]

[May 28, 2024, 06:19:06 AM]

[May 27, 2024, 09:56:01 PM]

by PNW
[May 27, 2024, 03:12:21 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Hobie Outback vs. Revolution 13  (Read 10579 times)

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
If you are fighting a big fish in the Revo and you want extra stability, it is easy to drop your legs over each side. Your center of gravity just dropped significantly.
Do that trick with the landlord or one of the larger furbags chasing your fish and you may never play the violin again.
Or more accurately, "Do that trick with the landlord or one of the larger furbags chasing your fish and you may never play hackysack again."

bluewrx02

• Salmon
  • Facebook
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
If you already have a Revo, then the Outback is a good choice. It is a great crabbing platform which is why I use it when I hit the reefs at PC for bottom fish. The Outback is also an awesome duck hunting platform.

I can now say that I have crabbed off my outback, Revo13, and AI(with 1 aka). No problems with any of them. All three are stable platforms and have enough room for the trap in the tank well. I just sit backwards to open the trap and deal with the crab. Sit sideways to pull and drop the traps
2011 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2013 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place

2011 Hobie Outback     
2013 Hobie Revo 13     
2014 Hobie Adventure Island

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Crabbing off the revo is a pita.  I'm still working it out.  I was thinking of installing rails and a rack behind the seat to secure 3 traps.  I've only been able to comfortably manage one and uncomfortably manage two.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
If you are fighting a big fish in the Revo and you want extra stability, it is easy to drop your legs over each side. Your center of gravity just dropped significantly.
Do that trick with the landlord or one of the larger furbags chasing your fish and you may never play the violin again.
Or more accurately, "Do that trick with the landlord or one of the larger furbags chasing your fish and you may never play hackysack again."

Yes. I run into the landlord all the time sturgeon fishing. Thanks for the warning. 

Personally, I have never felt the need to drop my legs over because I do not feel unstable in either boat. I have dropped them over while sorting crab in the ocean when it is really rough.

Crash-  I usually never go out alone, so we make dropping pots a team effort from the revos. I usually get my limit with one pot in the ocean, so I rarely bring more than one.

crash

• Salmon
Pot theft is so rampant in Trinidad, cc and Brookings that I drop three and hope one doesn't get raided. Seriously been considering a stakeout and some vigilante justice.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Last summer we watched a boat try and raid my pots at B-10. They did it right in front of us. They probably didn't think kayakers drop pots. I started yelling at them and told them to get the f away from my pots. They said they thought the pot was theirs.  I had a double crab buoy set-up with my name on them. All their pots had Tide jugs for floats. I can't fathom how they confused Tide jugs with crab pot buoys.

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Last summer we watched a boat try and raid my pots at B-10. They did it right in front of us. They probably didn't think kayakers drop pots. I started yelling at them and told them to get the f away from my pots. They said they thought the pot was theirs.  I had a double crab buoy set-up with my name on them. All their pots had Tide jugs for floats. I can't fathom how they confused Tide jugs with crab pot buoys.

They didn't confuse anything. They were just lying sacks of crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Crabbing off the revo is a pita.  I'm still working it out.  I was thinking of installing rails and a rack behind the seat to secure 3 traps.  I've only been able to comfortably manage one and uncomfortably manage two.

This might help. It might not.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54098312/kayak/Crabbing/Kayak.Crabbing.html
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

crash

• Salmon

This might help. It might not.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54098312/kayak/Crabbing/Kayak.Crabbing.html

That's the basic design I was thinking of, but I'm not excited about running pvc into the scupper holes. It's a lot easier to repair a 3/16 drill hole than a cracked scupper

You've probably heard this before, but 30 minutes is way too long to cook crab.

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Where is the best place to purchase? I'm thinking either in Seattle or Portland.
Wouldn't you have to pay sales tax in Seattle?

Yes.  But, strictly speaking, WA residents are supposed to declare their un-taxed/out of state purchases and pay state sales tax (and possibly local sales tax).  But, other than with cars or other titled items, nobody ever does.
2012 ORC 5th Place

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Matt Miller and other guys at Hobie insist that the 2015 and later Revolutions and Outbacks with the new seat in the low position put your butt at the same height as the pre-2015 kayaks with the old seats.

If you want to know exactly what Matt Miller (and others) said: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=53557

Dave

Tangentially related/supporting evidence - The Oasis seat is definitely as low as the pre-2015s. I actually feel like it's lower in the lowest position.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Where is the best place to purchase? I'm thinking either in Seattle or Portland.
Wouldn't you have to pay sales tax in Seattle?

Yes.  But, strictly speaking, WA residents are supposed to declare their un-taxed/out of state purchases and pay state sales tax (and possibly local sales tax).  But, other than with cars or other titled items, nobody ever does.
That's why there are so many Washington license plates in the Warrenton costco parking lot? Don't worry I won't tell anyone!

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”