Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:09:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:01:15 PM]

[Today at 08:45:55 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: What about 2016 Outbacks  (Read 4017 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I found a 2016 Outback that looks to be in showroom condition, and I'd like to have it.  I know, I know, I disrespect pedal driven kayaks all the time, but heck, if Spot can stand to be seen in a Hobie at the Brownlee Crappie Shootout, perhaps it's okay to be caught pedaling one every so often.

I don't know enough about the older Outbacks to know if they have any inherent problems.  I know about the V2 drive on this one - the Revo I owned had a V2 drive.  I think I remember that the Vantage seats were prone to fall out when the kayak rolled-over and there was some kind of simple fix but can't remember what it was.

Is there anything I should be looking at closely on that year of Outbacks?  I'd appreciate any information anyone has.

Gads!  Tinker in a Hobie!  The world has certainly rolled-over...
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
I've never been in an outback but think I remember seeing discussions about differences between the different year models over on the Hobie forums. You're prolly aware of that but figured I'd make note of it on the off chance that you weren't. Good luck!

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
As disparaging as I've been about pedal-powered kayaks, I've stayed away fro the Hobie forums lest I get set on fire...

Okay, I didn't think about the forums.  Thanks!  I'll go see what I can learn.

I've never been in an outback but think I remember seeing discussions about differences between the different year models over on the Hobie forums. You're prolly aware of that but figured I'd make note of it on the off chance that you weren't. Good luck!

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I have had a couple 2015 outback’s and a 2018 outback that would be the same body style.  I don’t know of any problems with that era.  It wouldn’t have the 180 drive.  180 is really nice, but I think the older V2 drive holds up better than the 180.

Overall, I think they are a solid kayak and as long as the price was right, I wouldn’t hesitate to pick one up
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
What's this?  No jumping on me for even considering a Hobie - after everything I've said about paddling v. pedaling?  James, you should take these openings when I serrve them to you.

My one concern about the 2016 is because it's been hauled around on a Hobie scupper cart.  Do you know if Hobie was using the PVC liners in the scuppers back then, or is that a more recent innovation?  Either way, I'll be giving those scuppers a close look.

There's also a 2018 over your way that I might find interesting.  The asking price is a bit higher than the 2016 and I'm waiting to hear back from the seller so i can start negotiating on price.  Is it you?  Are you selling an orange 2018?  After winning a new one, is it you thinning out your flock?

Thank you.  For now, I just want a solid boat and I appreciate this information.  Maybe I can relax a bit.

I have had a couple 2015 outback’s and a 2018 outback that would be the same body style.  I don’t know of any problems with that era.  It wouldn’t have the 180 drive.  180 is really nice, but I think the older V2 drive holds up better than the 180.

Overall, I think they are a solid kayak and as long as the price was right, I wouldn’t hesitate to pick one up
« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 04:53:13 PM by Tinker »

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
I still cart around my 07 Outback, no issues.  I actually used to just leave it in a hot garage, on the cart, before I knew any better. Not one problem with the scupper holes to this day.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 08:07:20 AM by SD2OR »
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
More good-to-know information.  Thanks!

I still cart around my 07 Outback, no issues.  I actually used to just leave it in a hot garage, on the cart, before I knew any better. Not one problem with the supper holes till this day.

bernie3674

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2022
The pre-2019 outback are solid from what I know, the 2020 model has some issue with the hull but hobie fixed that. I have a 2012 revo 13 and 2022 outback, you can't go wrong with it.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Thank you, bernie.  From what I read on the Hobie Forums, there were some problems with the early models of the new design that were ironed-out later.  I won;t need to worry about that since the older, pre-2019's fit in my kayak budget, but the newer ones are more than I want to spend, at least until I know the darned wind will settle down.

The pre-2019 outback are solid from what I know, the 2020 model has some issue with the hull but hobie fixed that. I have a 2012 revo 13 and 2022 outback, you can't go wrong with it.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
Thank you, bernie.  From what I read on the Hobie Forums, there were some problems with the early models of the new design that were ironed-out later.  I won;t need to worry about that since the older, pre-2019's fit in my kayak budget, but the newer ones are more than I want to spend, at least until I know the darned wind will settle down.

The only issue, so far, with my early 2019 Outback (Oct. 2018 delivery) was that it needed a secondary seal added to the bow hold lid.  A recent roll and recovery outing resulted in perhaps a tablespoon of water inside the hull.

I think you will love the 2016, welcome to the Hobie darkside.
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I remember your post about the bow hatch seal, and one of the things no one on the Hobie forums asked the folks complaining about the 2019's was "How much do you weigh?"  I'd bet that makes a difference.   >:D

New question: since I need to work on upper body conditioning and leg strength, what's it like to paddle a 2016 - 2018 Outback?  Is it fairly doable using a good paddle?

Oh, and roll-and-recovery with the Trident could put that much water in the hull, so the extra seal on the bow hatch definitely did the trick.

Thanks, roger.

The only issue, so far, with my early 2019 Outback (Oct. 2018 delivery) was that it needed a secondary seal added to the bow hold lid.  A recent roll and recovery outing resulted in perhaps a tablespoon of water inside the hull.

I think you will love the 2016, welcome to the Hobie darkside.

SD2OR

• Salmon
I'd say pedaling is far less taxing than paddling, for me at least. As long as you're not sprinting, dragging a downrigger weight, or fighting current/wind, I'd equate it to walking. I think you'll really appreciate the hands free aspect, especially if using the bug wand, and not the cheater standard gear I use. Wink, wink.
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I'm asking about paddling an Outback because the cancer drugs left me pretty much wasted.  I was searching for a paddle-powered kayak to work on upper body conditioning, and then found an Outback at a great price so I could work on strengthening my legs.  Soon after that, along came someone asking me if it's possible to paddle an Outback in the same way I paddled the Trident, even if not as easily as paddling the Trident, so I could work on both legs and upper body...

And I guess the answer is "Yes"?

Thanks, Cameron.  I appreciate the answer.

I'd say pedaling is far less taxing than paddling, for me at least. As long as you're not sprinting, dragging a downrigger weight, or fighting current/wind, I'd equate it to walking. I think you'll really appreciate the hands free aspect, especially if using the bug wand, and not the cheater standard gear I use. Wink, wink.

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
The answer is yes.  I paddle my Outback on occassion (mostly for some upper body exercise other than the rowing machine in my living room).  Definately doable but not as easy as my Jackson Cuda or a Revolution (no experience with a Trident).  The Outback will give you that opportunity for full body conditioning.  Best of luck. 
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

SD2OR

• Salmon
Doh!
I misread.
Maybe someday I'll learn to read.