Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 09:26:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by DBam
[Today at 06:47:56 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:52:48 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: My 2nd outing in the kayak..Fish ON !  (Read 1938 times)

yakfish

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
I was able to get my new Hobie Outback (and 1st ever kayak) rigged up with a fishfinder, rod holder etc, and took her out over the weekend, saturday for my first trip attempting to fish.  My neighbor and I hit Tillamook bay, and he showed me the ropes about where to throw crab pots, and where to troll etc. I've never fished in the bay there before, so it was great to see the lay of the water.  Everything seemed to work well in the kayak, fishing was very slow, caught nothing.    I went back solo on Monday morning earlier this week, and this time threw a couple pots out for crab, and headed over to join the boats in the slow morning troll.  I was using a spinner for about an hour, without any luck, then switched over to some cut plug herring, since that was what 'everyone else was using'.  Oftentimes i like to try something different..but...wasn't working for me so I changed over.  On my third pass towards the end of the run, my rod starts hitting, i grab it and there it is! FISH ON !   I could tell right away it wasn't a big chinook, but it was a lively, feisty coho, so I just played it for a while, my heart racing imagining how it was going to go trying to net it for my first time, but it went pretty well, i finally got the little guy close to the yak, made one failed attempt at netting as he Jumped way out of the water and took off...but the 2nd time coming in, he slid right into the net.  Native, so a quick pic and back to the sea he swam.  I managed to NOT drop my phone, or the net, and get the fish.  I'll take it as success, and had a blast.  Then I made my way over to my crab pots, pulled them both up and had a limit of huge crabs in the first pull.  Can't complain about that!  Can't wait to get out again.  Enjoy!

skidlybo

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
Way to go.  One grateful little coho on his way.  Hey where'd you get that little butter pot?  I like it. Nothing like a little heavy metal to keep it warm for awhile.

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Good job, congratulations.

yakfish

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Thanks skidlybo,  i only cook with cast iron, and the little awesome cast iron pot is from Finex Cookware, they are in Portland, and they make all their pans there. I have pretty much every pan they make, they are awesome.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Good job and great report! It took me about 80 bajillion trips to land my first kayak coho so I'm suitably impressed.

Also Finex is the bomb! I was recently introduced to that brand and I am hoping to slowly upgrade my Lodge pieces to Finex over time.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Congratulations on the Coho, Yakfish.

I checked out Finex cookware, and Yikes! It's expensive.  Yakfish's little dinky square saucepan is about $100.  But if I amortize the cost of my kayak, fishing gear, gas, and other mileage costs over the pounds of fish which I catch, the fish is also expensive.  I figure that the more fish I catch, the less it costs per pound.  The trick is to catch enough fish, and resist the temptation to continuously buy more fishing gear, so the cost per pound of the fish which I have caught will slowly go down over time, not increase.

To paraphrase the credit card advertisements:  "Cost of the fish: astronomical!  Value of the fun of catching the fish: priceless!"
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 04:12:01 PM by pmmpete »

hamachijohn

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Nice photog skills, and good food photography. Congrats on the coho and crab limits. Norcal gets its crab opener this Saturday! Can't wait...

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Hamachi

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
You’ll Gabe to keep me posted when your coming, since I live in Garibaldi, if I’m not under my bronco our busy doing the honeydo list I’ll join ya.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

anything