Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 12:47:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:52:48 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Kayak for fishing Valdez / Passage Canal  (Read 2583 times)

EdP

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: May 2012
I'm hoping to get an SOT for fishing lakes as well as saltwater. I've fished out of my IK (Aire Super Lynx) in the past, but it's a lot of work paddling it because of the relative lack of glide.

I'm considering two different SOTs: the OK Prowler 13T and the Jackson Kayak Cuda.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which would be a better choice, especially for fishing near Valdez and Whittier? I really like the features on the Cuda, but the thing is over 70 pounds and since it's still a pretty new boat I haven't been able to find too many reviews that address ease of paddling, stability, maneuverability, etc. Any input would be gratefully received. Thanks!

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I haven't used the OK 13 yet but I demoed a Coosa last weekend. Fantastic boat. Problem is it paddles like a barge. It doesn't have the best tracking either. It's more designed or calmer flatter waters. Cool thing is you can easily stand and fish from the Coosa.
I heard great things about the OK Prowler.
All I can say is demo, demo, demo. You'll know which is right for you when you can actually sit in each one and see how each kayak fits your body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

EdP

• Plankton
Thanks for the reply, Romanian Redneck. Have you heard any feedback on the Cuda or had a demo in that one? I think the Coosa is more of a river boat and the Cuda is meant for open water. My main concern with it is how heavy the Cuda is, since I wouldn't always be able to haul it to the water using a wheeled cart. I only weight 150 pounds, so I don't know if the weight of the kayak would matter so much once I'm on the water.

AKS2000

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2009
I've been fishing with my OK Prowler 15T Angler for 3 summers and I love it. 

Stability:  My OK Prowler 15T has a well designed hull that is 29" wide, it is extremely stable and reasonably fast, partly due to its length.   I would recommend a paddle that is at least 230cm long.

Speed:  Using my other kayak (Necky Looksha 17 Composite) as a reference point, the OK Prowler 15T approx 0.5 mph slower.  My GPS tracking shows that I normally cruise at 3.5 mph on the OK Prowler.

Tracking:  My Prowler 15T tracks well enough without deploying the rudder, but it is much easier with the rudder deployed especially when I am trolling.

Maneuverability:  At 15 feet long and with a well tracking hull, it is easy to see that it couldn't turn very fast.   The Prowler 13T will be a little better for sure.  Learn to use a wide sweep stroke and use your core muscles will help tremendously. 

JT

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Kayak Shed has a Cuda demo now, D-Rock can give some feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa

sherminator

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
70lbs for a SOT is not a lot - there are many people handling yaks that weight that much or more. My Oasis is over 90lbs in cartop mode, and I handle it pretty easily. (I weigh way more than 150, but I shouldn't.) It's all a technique thing there.

I am curious about the not always being able to use a cart comment - does that mean you will not have a cart at all? I think that you will find that all SOT fishermen pretty much find a cart a must have, whether or not their kayak is light or heavy. The amount of gear makes all kayaks heavy and awkward without one.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 06:20:38 PM by sherminator »
15x tournament loser
2011 Hobie Oasis (yellow)
2014 Hobie Revo  (red)
2017 Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL

EdP

• Plankton

I am curious about the not always being able to use a cart comment - does that mean you will not have a cart at all?

Thanks, everyone for your input. I'm pretty sure I'm going for the Cuda, depending on what colors are available for immediate shipment.

About the "not always able to use a cart" comment: I'll definitely buy or build a cart, but there are some places I like to take my IK where I have to cross rocky areas to get to the water, mostly smaller lakes where I trout fish or places like Portage Lake where I just like to paddle around for the scenery. A cart will only get me so far, and after that it will require carrying or dragging. I kind of hate to think of dragging the SOT over the rocks and gouging up the hull. It might be that I stick to the IK for those places or see about maybe taking some planks with me or something to provide a sliding surface.

Totally psyched to get out fishing when I get the new kayak. Thanks again.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Have you seen the soft wheel carts? I dragged my kayak with a little effort over bowling ball sized rocks....

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-JbT8VMQw9S8/T69A4J-DltI/AAAAAAAABzY/nf-Lk4DaY08/s512/IMAGE_C2E7D247-158A-45E2-9546-7B1CBE08DF5B.JPG

Had a great time in Valdez.

Never caught much out of Whittier except for shrimp

I did catch a few after I was shuttled out to black stone bay near Whittier
http://guidesak.blogspot.com/2011/07/congratulations-aaron-and-adrienne-team.html
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

EdP

• Plankton
Have you seen the soft wheel carts? I dragged my kayak with a little effort over bowling ball sized rocks....

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-JbT8VMQw9S8/T69A4J-DltI/AAAAAAAABzY/nf-Lk4DaY08/s512/IMAGE_C2E7D247-158A-45E2-9546-7B1CBE08DF5B.JPG

Had a great time in Valdez.

Never caught much out of Whittier except for shrimp

I did catch a few after I was shuttled out to black stone bay near Whittier
http://guidesak.blogspot.com/2011/07/congratulations-aaron-and-adrienne-team.html

Are those pneumatic tires or solid foam of some sort?

I've caught silvers in Whittier, but the past few years have really been scarce. Valdez, of course, is slamming when the pinks and silvers show up. I had more fun with the pinks last year. The silvers seemed kind of listless at times.

Do you have a recommendation on a roof carrier? I've got a Subaru Forester. I was looking at the Malone Sea Wing carrier on line, which seems pretty functional but they only rate it to 70 pounds (which means a 74 pound kayak is probably okay, but I have to wonder if it might void the warranty). I'm not sure I'd want to go to a J-style even if they said they were okay, because the kayak is kind of wide. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again. Really enjoy your videos.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Ed,
Take a good hard look again at that OK before you opt for the Cuda. If you can, also find someone local who has a Hobie, Perception, Wilderness, Malibu, or Cobra, etc, and borrow for a weekend. I know you've been down that road somewhat before from what you've posted. Hate to see you limit yourself to just one make and then end up hating it.

Lots of people use the Ok's on the ocean with plenty of confidence.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

anything