Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:01:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:40:31 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: slammin salmon derby  (Read 13066 times)

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
ALLA Y'ALL ,
  A friend of mine is associated with the founder of the Brookings Slammin Salmon Derby. which consists of a lot of boats (around 300 fishermen) on the water. Every year a fair amount of Salmon are caught and weighed (then grilled) with some pretty impressive prizes for the smallest, biggest etc...
 If I could arrange for a" kayak designation" to be included would any one be interested?
 There wre so many people at the port having a good time with fish and beer, this would be a good place to promote the sport, either with entering the derby or just having a demo booth or something.
 Since I have no experiance at these kinds of events I would need some advice and encouragement to pursue it. ( I have never been to a kayak event of any sort).
 Some pretty impressive fish were caught this year, many in the 30#-40# range.
 Maybe a lame idea but I had an idea!!
PS Most fish are caught within a few hundred yards from the river mouth and along the can bouy line. 
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
When?  Looks like it was on Labor Day this year.  That's the same weekend as Moutcha.

I really would love to get a derby going down there this year.  I had once asked Bill at NCKA about the possibility of co-hosting one in either in Southern OR or the far Northern CA.

-Allen

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
POLE,
Yes it is on Labor Day. Had no clue about Moucha date, mMaybe not such a good time to do?

Fishin-T

• Lingcod
  • It's called a "Slow Loris"
Box,

Could it be possible that these people might consider a weekend that's NOT Labor Day weekend?  Like one or two weeks before or after?  Maybe they could keep the slammin' salmon weekend intact for motorboat types on Labor Day weekend and then pick up a different type of client on a seperate derby weekend... you know, spread out the crowd (and so also the income) over more than one weekend.  I mean, we're talking about two seperate and distictly different species of angler here any way.

I guarantee you that I'll be going right back to Moucha on Labor Day 2007, but I'd almost for sure make a derby in Oregon too if it wasn't on the same weekend.  Is that one weekend the absolute peak for salmon run probability?  Or could ones odds be nearly the same one week before or after.  Or maybe they have a run of silvers later in the season that could work.

They might have to be satisfied to start small, just like Moucha Jim did.  But Jim's derby has grown in just a few years to where it now garners the attention of a pretty good number of sponsors.  And those sponsors are there specifically to woo kayakers... not just any old salmon anglers.

Fishin-T
If at first you don't succeed....  maybe skydiving is just not for you.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Or let's have our own derby down there and I'll see if I can talk NCKA into co-hosting.  What are the peak times for the salmon run in that neck of the woods?  As far as I know, there has never been a kayak fishing derby in OR.  Let's be the first!

T, when you heading back to Whidbey?

-Allen

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
It sounds like our own derby would be better as stated by fishint, Not fighting all the powerboats is a good point to consider.
 Salmon are pretty bountiful in our area so a week or two either way won't make a lot of difference. Just have to check the seasons as they are all split up anymore.
 Of course it does not have to be salmon. The local waters put out some of the largest numbers of ling caught in Or. The lings tend to run big around here as well, many were over 20#. Maybe a bottomfish derby ?
 Either way A derby in this region would draw from S. Ca. to N. Wa.
 Their are plenty of choices for accomodations as well, camping, RV, hotel, motel, my back yard!
 As stated earlier, I will need some guidance to get this going, like who do I need to contact to set up an event like this? The local Port authority, Coast Guard?

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Check with the state first regarding fees/permits associated with having a derby.  Find a local resort to help as base camp, place to stay, insurance, etc..  Preferably some place we can launch from.  If you don't go the local resort route there may be fee/permits associated with using a public area.  You'd have to check with the local municipality about that one.  Let me know what I can do to help.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
boxofrain,  any followup on this?  I really want to get an OR derby going next year.

-Allen

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
POLE, I talked with my wife about it and she thinks I may be overwhelmed. I am still interested and I think this area is a good central location to attract from both North and South.
 I need more info on these things; How do you recruit a sponsor?, how and where do the funds for everything come from and go to? (cash flow) how to secure a site all can fit in (woo a campground with the promise of business?).
 All very deep water for me, but am willing to try. As stated earlier, I have never done or been to anything like this so I am in the dark here.
 I think all I need is some good directions and I can get er done.
 Push me in the right direction to get started. Maybe a master list of things I need to accomplish in the order they need to be addressed.( now you are doing the work for me).
 Thanks POLE if this works for next year it will be from your help as well as I could never pull it off without the experiance of others.
 ps The wife has underestimated me in the past and I have come through everytime, This will be the same.  Lets get to it!!

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
By the way POLE ,if phone # would help with the communication here my number is (541) 469-1958 or my cell # is (541) 251-4396. We rise before 5 am and fall around 8 pm at my house. Call anytime between and my wife won't hunt you down!
 now I'm anxious to get started as a year ain't that long!

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
boxofrain, let's take this offline so as not to bore everyone with the details.  Shoot me an email.

-Allen