Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:13:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: ***** OFFICIAL OREGON ROCKFISH CLASSIC 2019 RULES *****  (Read 11406 times)

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007

13th July, 2019
Depoe Bay, Oregon

Registration Closes at 11:59pm July 5th, 2019

Captain’s Meeting 8pm Friday night
near the fire ring at Chinook Bend.  We will go over rules, safety, and do waivers.

The ORC would like to welcome our new lead sponsor American Kayak Supply.  We are very thankful that they stepped up this year with helping to put this together.   

Hobie and American Kayak Supply are working together to donate a Hobie Mirage Compass.  This kayak will be raffled with proceeds going to Heroes on the Water PDX.  Each registration will include one raffle ticket.  Additional raffle tickets may be purchased for $10 each.

The top 5 place finishers of the Tournament will win prize packages from these great sponsors.   The remaining proceeds from registration (after insurance and other incidentals) will be donated to Neighbors for Kids in Depoe Bay, OR.

The good folks of Chinook Bend Campground are excited to be the tournament headquarters again this year!

*For those who choose other accomodations, there'll be no charge for stopping by to sign in or attend the Awards Banquet.

Chinook Bend Campground is located at 2897 Siletz Hwy, Lincoln City, OR 97367

The Oregon Rockfish Classic and Northwest Kayak Anglers are proud to partner with the American Canoe Association (ACA) to provide event insurance.   

********Official Rules:********

1. Skills required to participate in the Oregon Rockfish Classic:
   a. Upon unexpected entry into the water from their kayak, participants must be able to reenter their kayak unassisted within one minute
   b. Participants must be of a physical fitness level such that they are able to propel themselves to and from the fishing grounds unassisted while also factoring in nearshore ocean conditional elements that are common to the Oregon coast, such as winds and currents.
   c. Participants must understand and adhere to proper marine band VHF radio communication procedures

ALL COMPETITORS MUST ADHERE TO THE FOLLOWING RULES:

2. Before launching each participant must:
   a. Complete a safety inspection
   b. Pay registration fees
   c. Fill out and sign release of liability waiver
   d. Sign the check-out list
   e. Launch no earlier than 5:00 am
   f. Actively seek to minimize their impact on all powered vessels and all vehicles launching powered vessels in and around the vicinity of the Depoe Bay boat launch

3. While on the water each participant must:
   a. Wear immersion gear appropriate to Oregon coastal surface water temperatures
   b. Wear a Coast Guard approved personal floatation device (PDF) at all times. The PFD must be type I, II, III, or inflatable life vest as defined by the US Coast Guard
   c. Carry on their kayak a functional marine band handheld VHF radio and monitor channels 80, 72, and 16 while adhering to proper VHF radio communication procedures
   d. Carry a signaling device on their person
   e. Fly a safety flag on their kayak
   f. Carry on their kayak a bailing device
   g. Propel themselves to and from the fishing grounds under their own power(only human power is allowed - no motor or sail power)
   h. Carry a valid Oregon fishing license
   i. Carry a valid Oregon invasive species permit
   j. Carry an ODFW approved fish descending device
   k. Actively seek to minimize their impact on powered vessels at all times
   l. Follow all Depoe Bay regulations for entry to and exit from the harbor during the event
   m. Follow all ODFW regulations appropriate for the area
      http://www.dfw.state.or.us/mrp/finfish/groundfish_sport/index.asp
   n. Land their own fish without assistance unless under the age of 16 years old or permanently disabled in a way that prevents the landing of their own fish
   o. Observe and remain within the tournament fishing boundaries as follows:
      i. No fishing is allowed in the transit channel between the bell buoy directly west of the harbor entrance and the harbor entrance
      ii. Southern fishing boundary: Cove Point
      iii. Northern fishing boundary: Northernmost edge of the Worldmark Resort buildings
      iv. Western fishing boundary: Water depth of 100 feet
   p. Comply with all decisions made by the tournament coordinators as communicated through the VHF radio channel 72, including but not limited to suspending the tournament earlier than the original planned end time due to deteriorating ocean conditions or other events that compromise the safety of the event
   q. Must not consume alcohol or drugs of any kind during the event

Tournament Boundaries

4. Upon returning to the Depoe Bay boat launch area:
   a. All participants must report to the weigh-in station and sign the check out list before 2:00 pm regardless of whether or not each participant intends to submit fish for weigh-in
   b. Failure to check in by 2:00 pm may result in the participants automatic disqualification from the event, as well as future events

5. Tournament format:
   a. Only fish from participants having adhered to all rules described in these official rules will be considered for the tournament
   b. Only fish ready to be submitted at the weigh in station before 2:30 pm will be considered for the tournament and will be measured as follows:
      i. All fish shall be measured according to weight
      ii. All fish shall be measured in pounds to the nearest 1/100 of a pound
      iii.  All fish may be subject to full inspection
   c. Anglers shall be ranked based on total combination weight of the single heaviest of each target species in possession for the tournament.
   d. The four target species for the tournament are: Lingcod, cabezon, rockfish and greenling
   e. Top 5 slams will receive prize packages
   f.  Single largest fish will receive 10 extra raffle tickets.*
   g. Any participant that is found knowingly attempting to manipulate their fish in order to achieve a higher ranking shall be automatically disqualified from this 2019 tournament and all subsequent Oregon Rockfish Classic tournaments

Dig through the Events forum for previous years!

The roster for the 2019 ORC will be limited to 100 competitors.
The main reasons for this decision are: 1) The Depoe Bay Harbor has a limit to the amount of traffic of fishing craft that it can safely accommodate.  2) Parking in the area around the harbor is limited. 3) A limit to the number of competitors makes the logistics of the tournament much more easy to arrange and manage. 
We must keep in mind that we are not the only group of fishermen that will be planning on using the Depoe Bay Harbor that day.  It is reasonable to assume that power boaters may be targeting off-shore tuna, ocean salmon, and possibly halibut out of Depoe Bay so we must try to leave room for them too.
Best attempts will be made to try to update the list of registered participants in a timely manner, but this won’t be a daily update.

* We will be raffling off a Hobie Mirage Compass with proceeds going to Heroes on the Water PDX.  Each registration will include one $10 ticket.  We will be selling additional raffle tickets at the Chinook Bend RV resort during the weekend of the event.   In addition, whoever catches the biggest single fish will receive an extra 10 raffle tickets.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 10:01:19 PM by bsteves »
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Awesome!

But I'm a bit confused on the "Tournament format" part. Part C says "Anglers shall be ranked based on total combination weight of the single heaviest of each target species in possession for the tournament." This sounds like the 2017 format. I thought the tournament was back to single heaviest fish?
aMayesing Bros.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I can see why that would be confusing.   We were playing around with that idea and came back to the slam.  One of the issues was how to split the tournament proceeds between HOW and Neighbors for Kids.  HOW no longer allows shared billing on tournaments.  However, we think we found a loop hole by treating the tournament and raffle as separate fund raisers.

Tournament... Slam (rockfish, lingcod, cabezon, greenling).   Prizes packages given out from sponsors

Raffle for kayak... $10 tickets.   One ticket included with registation.   You can buy more tickets.   You can win 10 tickets for largest single fish.

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Works for me, I prefer the "slam" format anyway. Thanks Brian!
aMayesing Bros.

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Hmm, youse guys better take your Dramamine and such before you go out (according to a strict interpretation of rule 3.q anyway)...    >:D ;D :o

And yes, I’m just being a smartass- one of those things I hardly ever resist.
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

SantaDan

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2009
Where does one sign up for the ORC? Asking for a friend of course.

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Where do we get release forms, or do we get them at the Captain's meeting?

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Brian, are we covering our own individual launch fees separate from our registration this year?  I didn't see it noted as it was covered in previous years.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

williamesch

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
Cant wait! will there be additional raffle tickets aside from the $10 ones for smaller prizes?

2016 Angler of the day- 1st place
2019 ORC - 3rd place

2016 hobie outback
2019 old town topwater
2021 Wilderness systems recon

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
There will be additional raffle tickets available. The goal should be to win the 10 extra by catching the biggest fish. Stay positive! ;)

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Yes, registration covers donation to Neighbors for Kids, insurance, launch fee, one lottery ticket, paypal fees.  We might have some minor expenses like firewood, propane tanks, etc as well.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I don't believe we are doing a small item raffle.

The most important item above to notice is the deadline to register late thus Friday.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 08:19:07 PM by bsteves »

williamesch

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
I don't believe we are doing a small item raffle.

The most important item above to notice is the deadline to register late thus Friday.

Sent my money as soon as it was open! :banjo:

2016 Angler of the day- 1st place
2019 ORC - 3rd place

2016 hobie outback
2019 old town topwater
2021 Wilderness systems recon

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
How can we confirm our registration.  Do you have a listing?
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

• Date Registered: Dec 2018
How can we confirm our registration.  Do you have a listing?
As long as you got a PayPal confirmation, you're all set.
I just checked the registrant list and you're on there Zach.

anything