Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 06:32:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:28:58 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:52:48 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Second Barbie rod Classic  (Read 13192 times)

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Here's my ping pong paddle.  Not much to brag about it, but at least it's a Barbie 'but.
2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
low_sky, I have a harpoon for you courtesy of ripndrag!

So we fished 2:30 to 5pm. threw back a couple of under 10 pounders. Ryu caught a big greenling.  The surprise catch today was a 12 to 14 inch long cod.

Congrats Ryu on the win!  His day 1 fish holds up. 

Thanks to Mark Aka Ripndrag for putting derby on! 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Low_Sky

• Salmon
Looks like the weather was pretty good today, maybe I should have stuck around.  Yesterday didn't give me much confidence in the weather forecasts.

Rudy, I'll send you a text tomorrow about that harpoon.  Thanks Mark for hosting such a fun event!  I'm bummed that I didn't get to see that Thresher out on the water.
2016 Hobie Revolution 16

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Looks like the weather was pretty good today, maybe I should have stuck around.  Yesterday didn't give me much confidence in the weather forecasts.

Rudy, I'll send you a text tomorrow about that harpoon.  Thanks Mark for hosting such a fun event!  I'm bummed that I didn't get to see that Thresher out on the water.
sounds good.  Weather was still challenging...until we landed...then it just about immediately died down. lol.  truth.

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Ripndrag

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
Congratulations Ryu way to show us what's possible with a lot of skill and a Barbie pole.
Next year we are going to make it a 2 part tournament that will use some kind of points system if you use a Barbie pole you will get more points but if you use a regular rod you could still win. I think Barbie pole = 5 points per pound regular will be awarded 2 points per pound.
I had a great time and was happy to see you all again.
Thanks for participating
Take the sticker off your hat Bend the rim and go fishing!

• Date Registered: Jun 2016
Just want to say thanks to ripndrag.  Great time fishing with my tomater pole.  Make a small halibut feel like a monster.   Came home cleaned my pole/reel.   I plan on trying again this weekend.  I like the ease of fishing with the micro pole.   

jmbx2ditto

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
I was wondering how the Hello Kitty Telescoping pole did. Anyone using it want to write a review...lol.

Low_Sky

• Salmon
I fished the telescoping pole the weekend before the tournament. They are way stiff, and with braid I found it really hard to keep fish on when fishing heavy jigs. There was just no give in the line or rod to absorb those head shakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Hobie Revolution 16

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Nice article about the derby with a great interview of KatinAK in the State Newspaper under the sport section today.

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Ripndrag

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
Wow hey everybody I haven't been on the forum in a while been running nonstop with work and deer and elk hunts since September.
Any way back on track now.
? Who's interested in Barbie 3 -2017 I Hear the third times the charm mabey we can break 50 lbs this year
Take the sticker off your hat Bend the rim and go fishing!

Casey

• Salmon
You guys probably mentioned it somewhere on here but I haven't seen it. Where in Alaska does this take place? I'd like to see what it would cost to get there from Oregon with a kayak. There would be plenty of other things to do in addition to just getting there, but figuring out how to get there would be a good start

Low_Sky

• Salmon
Wow hey everybody I haven't been on the forum in a while been running nonstop with work and deer and elk hunts since September.
Any way back on track now.
? Who's interested in Barbie 3 -2017 I Hear the third times the charm mabey we can break 50 lbs this year

Good to hear from you, Ripndrag. I'd be there with bells on, or maybe that should be with Tinkerbell on-board.

2016 Hobie Revolution 16

Low_Sky

• Salmon
You guys probably mentioned it somewhere on here but I haven't seen it. Where in Alaska does this take place? I'd like to see what it would cost to get there from Oregon with a kayak. There would be plenty of other things to do in addition to just getting there, but figuring out how to get there would be a good start

We do this in Whiskey Gulch, Cook Inlet.  Just up the road from Homer, one of our more popular King fisheries. It's about a 4 hour drive from Anchorage out to WG on the Kenai Peninsula.

The more the merrier!

2016 Hobie Revolution 16

Big Al

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Where can I read the official rules. I'm still confused on certain aspects of the competition.

Al

Low_Sky

• Salmon
Where can I read the official rules. I'm still confused on certain aspects of the competition.

Al

This was pretty informal last year, and I think that's a fitting attitude for the event.  It's all about having fun.  The rules were: no modifications to the gear, no restriction on line/leader, and we had on- and off-water times.  I don't remember what the rule was about non-barbie gear on board.  I think we allowed it so that your fishing day wasn't over if/when your barbie(s) exploded. 
2016 Hobie Revolution 16

anything