Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 01:14:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 21, 2024, 05:54:13 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 04:51:49 PM]

by jed
[May 21, 2024, 03:39:33 PM]

by jed
[May 21, 2024, 03:38:15 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 01:07:12 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 12:36:33 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 11:40:28 AM]

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: ORC questions  (Read 25210 times)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
On a side note for those that are scrambling to figure out a way to mount a flag to their kayak, here is a method I suggested several times over the years. 

Just get yourself a chunk of red or orange fabric/plastic. If you can't locate a simple flag, try this: 
See your local Goodwill and just buy a cheap shirt that is made of either of these colors. 
Cut out a big square or pendant from said shirt.

Fold over one edge roughly an inch and sew it down, or just glue it down.
Poke two or three holes along that edge and install Duo-loc snaps that then be attached to the tip of your spare rod held above you in a rod holder. 

If you only fish with one rod, no problem.  While you are at Goodwill or hit up a garage sale for a used fishing rod.  Slap your flag on that one and just plop it in a vertical rod holder. 

Bob's your uncle!   ;)

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
"These are the rules of the tournament as put forth by the ORC organizing committee.  If you have issues with them or don't trust our ability to put this tournament on, then maybe this isn't the tournament for you."

that is a nice attitude ya got there.
I absolutely have no issues other than trying to get an answer to what the safety inspection will entail. that now has finally been answered. I was not replied back with maybe a "will get back with you on that" would have sufficed oh well. registration for $$ was up rules were up but on a couple rules, like 2A were vague. til now, I envisioned a MAJOR clusterfuck at the ramp depending on what the safety inspection by the tournament organizer would be. that's why I asked especially after last year with just the signout sheet. not shit was said. excuse the fuck out of me for bringing something up and asking! I don`t understand what the problem is/has been. maybe participation in the tournament this year is not for me. on a side note has anyone thought about or care to post signage(maybe at the ramp on/near paybox or also the fish cleaning room) of the upcoming orc to warn others i.e. powerboaters, that might want to make plans to fish elsewhere that day?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 03:07:14 PM by dampainter »

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Painter - relax, man...  Some of your questions came across as very abrupt, not looking like you had any great amount of trust in the organizers to provide answers, and sounding overall pretty darned impatient.  Whether that's true or not, it's how they came across. 

So - everyone who's going down there - relax, have a beer, enjoy yourselves, and remember it is all supposed to be *fun*...

Jim (I won't be there, got no dog in that fight!)
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
On a side note for those that are scrambling to figure out a way to mount a flag to their kayak, here is a method I suggested several times over the years.

[SNIPPED]

Those bamboo sticks (for gardens) make a good flag pole.  Pennies at Wally World.  Sometimes free at garden centers.
Everything will be all right in the end, so if it's not all right, then it's not yet the end.

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Home depot sells an orange flag for cheap that you tie to a long load. Biner thru the grommet on any kind of stick and you have a safety flag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
on a side note has anyone thought about or care to post signage(maybe at the ramp on/near paybox or also the fish cleaning room) of the upcoming orc to warn others i.e. powerboaters, that might want to make plans to fish elsewhere that day?

It was done long ago. The Harbormaster is aware of it and advised that it will be done. One of us will reach out again prior to the event with a helpful reminder. If you are going to be out there and want to take this upon yourself a few days prior to the event, again we would love the help. Just let us know. We will even provide you with the sign. 

On that note, I would like to thank all the other people that have volunteered to take on other duties to help make it a great event.

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
craig,  i spoke with harbormaster last weekend when i was there, i know he is aware and all. but no signs around. when cleaning fish i always have told others around there the day of orc. and have posted on another website the last couple months to get word out as much as possible to the p.b. community. i would def. take u up on offer to post a sign up at the ramp and the fish cleaning blding if i were going out in the near future, not sure when am going next, i almost never do. but i do know signage out there and as much heads up as orc can give the other users of depoe bay would be highly appreciated. give em a chance for no surprises early in the morning or possible any time of that day ya know? thanks for offering to provide signage, hopefully someone going out there before orc can do this.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:25:20 PM by dampainter »

craig

• Sturgeon
Thanks for doing that. We are also going to try ans secure parking in a lot above. I parked there last year because it said "Park Here." It was a vacant lot and I thought they were using it for overflow. The sign was gone when I got back and I got a nasty note on my car. Anyways, it is a quick walk down from there and that would leave more spots for the boat trailers.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Wonder if DB City Hall would allow overflow parking on Saturday game day?  They are right at the top of the hill across from the Shell station just before you start down towards the launch parking area. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

SteveHawk

• ORC
  • Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
When Jeff, Nate, Brian, Craig and I volunteered to organize the ORC this year.  Our goal was to return it back to the community event that it originally was. This tournament is a group event where everyone needs to pitch in in order for it to run smoothly.  Whether it be a the whole group, you as an individual or local businesses like Next Adventure it will take us all to make it work.

At this point I would like to say thanks to Andrew, for shouldering the burden of the Taco feed. That is a chore all to itself. (By the way, I can bring down a burner and fry tub)

Brian, thanks for taking the time to address everyone concerns and striving to produce crystal clear transparency.

We appreciate your patience and willingness to step up and try some new ideas. Please don't hesitate help out if you see a need.

Thanks for listening.
Wobbler
"if you aren't living life on the edge, your just taking up space"  Thom Rock

Green Outback, Blue Revo

bluewrx02

• Salmon
  • Facebook
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Big thanks to the organizers. All of them have a full time job and a family that needs their attention also. Please be patient while waiting for answers on your questions.  They are a great bunch of guys!
2011 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2013 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place

2011 Hobie Outback     
2013 Hobie Revo 13     
2014 Hobie Adventure Island

smokeyangler

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
+1, Thanks for for all of the hard work and time organizing this event. I'm just happy to fish with a bunch of like minded Yak Fishing Addicts. Keep up the good work and can't wait for ORC!!!
2014 Hobie PA 14
2015 Hobie Outback

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
At this point I would like to say thanks to Andrew, for shouldering the burden of the Taco feed. That is a chore all to itself. (By the way, I can bring down a burner and fry tub)

Steve - Thanks for that!  I added you to the list for the fryer and burner.
2012 ORC 5th Place

craig

• Sturgeon
Big thanks to the organizers. All of them have a full time job and a family that needs their attention also. Please be patient while waiting for answers on your questions.  They are a great bunch of guys!
Had we known about your sabbatical, you may have been organizing it. ;)

williamesch

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
Is there going to be sweet pint glasses like last year?

2016 Angler of the day- 1st place
2019 ORC - 3rd place

2016 hobie outback
2019 old town topwater
2021 Wilderness systems recon

anything