Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 09:42:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 08:40:31 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Oregon Rockfish Classic Announcement  (Read 9412 times)

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Best of luck to everyone today, be safe.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008

Here are some Ideas/Opportunities:

- Zach it sounds like you've already invested a bit of energy into figuring out how to create a non-profit LLC.  If you have the time, this could be instrumental in running future NWKA events (both ORC and others).

- Brian/Allen - Maybe we should set up a planning board in the forum where members can coordinate contest planning efforts.

- I'd like to suggest that anybody who wants to compete, show up at camp or the ramp with a crisp $50 bill.  We can throw the money in a pot and split it up as a cash payout for biggest fish/bag etc.  Somebody want to step up to coordinate this?

- We can do a collection or raffle to benefit either HOW or the Neighbors for Kids program in Depoe Bay.

What do you guys think?

-Mark-

Great ideas Mark.  I have been looking into the tax issue all morning.   I am wanting to set up an umbrella org that could cover multiple tournaments each year.  It will take me a few months and some sidejobs to pay for the fees- but i will look on getting that accomplished. 

I would be happy to help coordinate a sidepot for this year.  I will be at Chinnook Bend from Thursday-Sunday.  We could collect the sidepot entries friday night.  Must be back at camp at 3 to weight the fish?
Wish I could've made the meetup, but was still on the road from SoCal. Looks like the weather cooperated. Who launched from Fogarty?

2019: From my somewhat limited experience, organizing as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization will help with gaining sponsorships and allow for organizing multiple events. https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/charitable-organizations/exemption-requirements-section-501c3-organizations

As for liability insurance, we'll need it. There's this for quotes: https://insurancefornonprofits.org/coverages/

Needless to say, this will probably take considerable advanced planning & some direction from members who've organized this event previously. I'm willing to attend organizational meetings & volunteer for a delegated duty as needed. Any lawyers out there with non-profit experience willing to advise?
https://www.doj.state.or.us/charitable-activities/laws-guides-for-charities/your-rights-roles-and-responsibilities-as-a-nonprofit-officer/
Your Personal Liability as a Member of a Nonprofit Board

To encourage citizens to serve as board members for charities, the law cloaks volunteer board members with qualified immunity. They cannot be sued for negligent acts. They may, however, be subject to lawsuits alleging that a loss was due to their gross negligence, or willful or fraudulent acts.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I was the only one to launch from Fogarty.  I went out with my 8 year old daughter in my tandem and it was probably the easiest beach launch and landing I've had in awhile. However, once we got out to Government Point the swell picked up a bit and my daughter started feeling queasy and we went back in.

Insurance isn't too much of a problem with the American Canoe Association (that's what I've used the past few years).   It requires a bit of paperwork and enough volunteers to fill out the requisite safety roles.

Non-profit status might help with our issues.  It might also mean a lot of extra paperwork and more restrictions on what we can and can't do.   Hopefully someone can sort this out.

We've also had a couple offers from outside NWKA to help run the event.  We tried this once with Next Adventure, but it went south.  However, I still think it's the best option and alleviates a lot of the headaches with paperwork (taxes and insurance) on our part.    I think the trick it to find a partner that will work closely with us and listen to our input.

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
I was the only one to launch from Fogarty.  I went out with my 8 year old daughter in my tandem and it was probably the easiest beach launch and landing I've had in awhile. However, once we got out to Government Point the swell picked up a bit and my daughter started feeling queasy and we went back in.

Insurance isn't too much of a problem with the American Canoe Association (that's what I've used the past few years).   It requires a bit of paperwork and enough volunteers to fill out the requisite safety roles.

Non-profit status might help with our issues.  It might also mean a lot of extra paperwork and more restrictions on what we can and can't do.   Hopefully someone can sort this out.

We've also had a couple offers from outside NWKA to help run the event.  We tried this once with Next Adventure, but it went south.  However, I still think it's the best option and alleviates a lot of the headaches with paperwork (taxes and insurance) on our part.    I think the trick it to find a partner that will work closely with us and listen to our input.

Brian

Bold for the biggest issue.  The biggest complaint about NA, as I recall, was a perceived lack of transparency, and poor communication.  I don't believe there was anything going on other than the NA guys being too swamped with other NA work to give ORC the attention many on here felt it deserved.  Given the size of the event and the amount of money involved I think some of those complaints were warranted, though some were unreasonable.

I think that if we could get a more dedicated degree of attention it can work with NA or someone similar running ORC.  What is probably needed if we go this route is to have a company like NA or ODP that is large enough to have at least 1 person that is dedicated to running such events.  Having someone do it in their otherwise down time didn't work out all that well. 

Short of that ORC should remain a volunteer run event, and that probably means a 501c3 organization.  To alleviate the expense of maintaining a 501c3 I think adding $3 or $5 or $10 or whatever the appropriate amount is to registration fees for ORC, AOTY, TBKD, etc. would be appropriate. 
2012 ORC 5th Place

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Chinook Bend Resort (CBR) was very excited to see us this year even though we didn't do the official ORC. 
They also made it very clear that they love us, the tournament, the crowd of money it brings their way, and the salmon season kickoff that usually gets things rolling for them after someone in a kayak lands a salmon off their launch. 

CBR got wind of the ORC not happening this year, and the are absolutely on board to be the "corporation" we need for the tax burden.  They went on to say that they really want to help run the whole thing, but I made it clear that we tried that with NA and it flopped by letting NA run it without much of NWKA in the decision making process.  CBR completely understands that this is a NWKA event and not a CBR event, so it would make sense if we (NWKA) played the big role in the planning and decision making.

It might be a good idea for those interested in putting together the next ORC, to meet up and go over this and other ideas while it's fresh in the mind.  Including CBR might be a solid move.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
What, exactly, was the problem with NA? From an out of area conpetitor standpoint the NA run event was the best one. So I’m assuming it was some back of house behind the scene problem?

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
I like a lot of things about CBR.  What I'm not such a fan of is their price for the cheapest tent spots.  2017 it was closing in on $35/night after the ORC discount.  Maybe that's the right amount given supply/demand dynamics, but it seems incredibly high for a super basic tent camping spot.  It's certainly gotten to the point of impacting how long I stay when I do attend ORC.  Max is 2 nights, and if I could figure out a reasonable way get away with just 1 night I would.  If it was $20-25/night (I think Hobuck charges $25 with no discount) I might try to work 3 nights into my plans so I could get a solid 3 days of fishing in.

Anyway, if they're enthusiastic about helping with ORC I don't see much of a reason to not use that resource.  Even if we don't ultimately need their corporation for tax purposes it seems like we should find a way for them to help out in a meaningful way. 
2012 ORC 5th Place

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Maybe we can get them to negotiate lower ORC site prices?

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
What, exactly, was the problem with NA? From an out of area conpetitor standpoint the NA run event was the best one. So I’m assuming it was some back of house behind the scene problem?

From a competitor standpoint, I don't know all the issues as I wasn't there.  However, the following year I had a LOT of people very happy that I was back to running the taco feed as that was apparently a disappointment to quite a few people when NA ran it. 

IIRC the main issue was complaints about transparency with the money (IIRC it took them a long time afterwards to make the donation to HOW and NFK, plus just lack of communication about how much money came in vs. out for expenses, etc).  Plus other communication related issues. 
2012 ORC 5th Place

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Chinook Bend would be a great resource but cannot offer us a non profit letter for donations.  I still think long term getting our own NP status would help.  It just costs roughly $850 to get that all set up and a lot of time and effort making sure it goes smoothly.

In regards to an outside company running it, I think it is a great idea.  With our current model it is a lot of burden on a dew individuals to organize such an event.  Having a brand behind us would also help with getting sponsors.  I would like to see us work with a sponsor for future events.  I also think adding a few more volunteers may help improve the event. 

I second that amn open meeting for planning at a local pub would be a good idea. 
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
Chinook Bend would be a great resource but cannot offer us a non profit letter for donations.  I still think long term getting our own NP status would help.  It just costs roughly $850 to get that all set up and a lot of time and effort making sure it goes smoothly.

In regards to an outside company running it, I think it is a great idea.  With our current model it is a lot of burden on a dew individuals to organize such an event.  Having a brand behind us would also help with getting sponsors.  I would like to see us work with a sponsor for future events.  I also think adding a few more volunteers may help improve the event. 

I second that amn open meeting for planning at a local pub would be a good idea. 

$850/yr, or $850 to set it up, then something less yearly for maintenance?

Even if it's $850/yr if you assume, say, 200 cumulative registrations between ORC and AOTY and TBKD $4.25 added to registration fees would cover that expense.  Round it up to $5, and I'd even be OK paying Zach the $150 left over as a fee for all the work involved (that would probably still be a lot less than minimum wage effectively). 
2012 ORC 5th Place

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
It is 850 as an initial start up fee and an additional 50-100 dollars the following years. to maintain the name and status.

I would not need any compensation i just want to make sure we have good events in the future.  Each year i meet new people at the tournament and i also learn a lot of new tactics.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

From a competitor standpoint, I don't know all the issues as I wasn't there.  However, the following year I had a LOT of people very happy that I was back to running the taco feed as that was apparently a disappointment to quite a few people when NA ran it. 

IIRC the main issue was complaints about transparency with the money (IIRC it took them a long time afterwards to make the donation to HOW and NFK, plus just lack of communication about how much money came in vs. out for expenses, etc).  Plus other communication related issues.

There were several issues that struck me as poor planning, lack of planning, or purely failed execution (each person may look at these differently than I do).

-Sponsor donated prizes were down due to them not wanting to use Jammers awesome list that he offered them up front.  Less than a month out from the event, they finally wanted his list. 

-The entry fee was bumped up to $50. NA said this covers launch fees, shuttle service fuel, safety boat fuel, food and drink (oil, fryers, plates, utensils, and non alcoholic drinks.  Hmmm...read on. 

-Launch time was set at 0600, and we could not launch until we were signed out.  NA didn't show up until just after 0600, and still needed to get through the 50+ kayaker's lined up and waiting for their safety check out. 

-The safety check out really pissed me off, as they didn't actually check people.  Rather they had a number system and all was needed was to say something like I'm #14 and my buddy down at the launch is number #7 and we are ready to go.  Buddy down at the launch is wearing shorts, T shirt and water shoes!  Not the required attire that was listed in the rules.  This put many of us in a sticky situation where if these IDIOTS that dress that way get knocked over and can't get back in and we are the closest to help them. 

-The fish fry was a miss!  Several folks including myself, asked NA if we could help with the fish fry well before the event.  Was told "no need" as they have this under control.  So, I left it at that.  Well about 5pm on game day several non-NA staff (rather, NWKA volunteers) came up to my camp begging John and I to help out with the fish fry as NA was MIA.  Didn't see that coming.   :bs:

-Then the raised sponsor tally.  The event was on July 11th. NA didn't post the financials until August 27th which is completely unnecessary to have it take that long.  For example, that same year CBY had his AOTD event on August 22nd and had his results on August 25th (still ahead of ORC results).  It was just Roy and Dude running it, and they had to leave early at the crack of dawn to go out of state for a day or so on top of that. 

Did I miss anything?   :icon_scratch:

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
be/is? a dam shame to see the orc to be a thing of the past.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 06:07:40 PM by dampainter »

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Brain is failing me, did the Hobie Worlds qualifier and the NA event happen at the same ORC?

anything