Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:45:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[Today at 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Ski to Sea 2010  (Read 6461 times)

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Hi all,
I'm going to be doing the Ski to Sea race on 30 May.  http://www.skitosea.com/

I'm doing the last portion, a 5 mile kayak race.  My current method of attack is a Tsunami 140.  I'm pretty sure it will be faster than my Tarpon 160. 

Course specifics can be found here http://www.skitosea.com/content/race_legs_and_i/sea_kayak.asp

From the Rules:

NOTE: Rec. Division kayaks must be wider than .095 times the overall length (this is 20.5” wide for an 18’ long boat). No racing hulls or down-river boats are allowed. Most sea kayaks qualify. For example: Impulse, Glider, Seal, Mariner II, Arluk II and Seastar would qualify. The Heron, Arluk I, Phantom and virtually all Surf Ski’s do not qualify. Single-paddle outrigger canoes are allowed in all divisions except recreational.

If my math is correct, my Tsunami 140 has a .143 ratio of width/length, meaning I could use a much narrower/longer/faster yak.  Does anyone have a hull I can use for this event? 

I'm told our team will be benefiting Peak 7, a charity group that gets inner-city at risk kids outside to see a bigger part of life. http://www.peak7.org/

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Man, Peak7 is a cool organization! Good luck on the race.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
The boat's engine makes a huge difference.  Even though you can bench press a rhino, take some time to watch the K1 Olympic level paddlers.  Watch some surfski videos.  Pay attention to the twisting and leg pressing.  Fine tune the stroke mechanics, and don't forget to use your legs.  5 miles isn't much, really, so you can maintain a proper form once you get used to paddling this way.  Good luck!!!!!!!!!!
Blog/Photo Dump

Editor, The Milkcrate, Kayak Angler Lifestyle.

Alkasazi

• Lingcod
  • Alkasazi
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
very nice, looks like fun! I've got a Necky Looksha 17 and Chatham 16 you're welcome to borrow.

Brian

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
I'm definitely going to keep that in mind.  You ok with the boat going on that much I-5 travel?

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Send a PM to Allen (pole pole), I believe he used to paddle competitively and could give you a few pointers.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Send a PM to Allen (pole pole), I believe he used to paddle competitively and could give you a few pointers.

Nope.  I never paddle competitively.  Well, I used to do adventure races that involved paddling, but I wasn't competitive.  But ... a good paddle would make a difference.  What is your paddle?

-Allen

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
Werner, with carbon shaft and the yellow blade.  120cm I think.  I'll double check tomorrow and let ya know.

bjoakland

• Salmon
  • Piscis Venator
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Gimme a hollar if you have time for a beer while you're up my way!
•• If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~ Doug Larson ••

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
Gimme a hollar if you have time for a beer while you're up my way!

Wierd, I swear I replied to this already, but it's gone.  My daughters are going to be with me, so no bar action for me; however, my event is the last event, and I hear the whole area is blocked off for street fair type atmosphere. 

jself

Hi all,
I'm going to be doing the Ski to Sea race on 30 May.  http://www.skitosea.com/

I'm doing the last portion, a 5 mile kayak race.  My current method of attack is a Tsunami 140.  I'm pretty sure it will be faster than my Tarpon 160.  

Course specifics can be found here http://www.skitosea.com/content/race_legs_and_i/sea_kayak.asp

From the Rules:

NOTE: Rec. Division kayaks must be wider than .095 times the overall length (this is 20.5” wide for an 18’ long boat). No racing hulls or down-river boats are allowed. Most sea kayaks qualify. For example: Impulse, Glider, Seal, Mariner II, Arluk II and Seastar would qualify. The Heron, Arluk I, Phantom and virtually all Surf Ski’s do not qualify. Single-paddle outrigger canoes are allowed in all divisions except recreational.

If my math is correct, my Tsunami 140 has a .143 ratio of width/length, meaning I could use a much narrower/longer/faster yak.  Does anyone have a hull I can use for this event?  

I'm told our team will be benefiting Peak 7, a charity group that gets inner-city at risk kids outside to see a bigger part of life. http://www.peak7.org/

Whoa!

Tsuamis are super duper slow. I'd say they are are slowest "day touring" boat at the shop. What they lack in speed, they make up for in "forgiveness". We use them for our intro kayaking classes for that reason. If you want to come by the shop I'll set you up for racing. Tide race xplore is the fastest boat in the shop. 18ft x 21.5" CAD on the hull reduced drag to near zero. It's really hard to do the speed formula on kayaks like PB's. Kayak dimensions are to small.....you basically get the same answer for all 17ft sea kayaks, even though they aren't all as fast as the other.

I'd use a tide race xplore, and a Werner Shuna 210cm. You'd smoke most people unless they were in surf skis.
http://www.tideraceseakayaks.com/index.php/kayak-models/xplore

If you are a "larger" individual, I'd take the Tiderace Xplore-X
http://www.tideraceseakayaks.com/index.php/kayak-models/xplorex

Other than that, the Tarpon would be faster than the tsunami, especially over 5 miles. Tarpon has a longer water line , and less drag due to weight distribution over a greater/longer area (more glide=less effort to keep high rate of speed over distance. The tsunami is just plain slow man. The multi-chine hull creates allot of drag, and the shape of the hull causes the bow to plow into the water, rather than slice like finer lines would.

Jason 503-285-0464
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 08:32:15 AM by NANOOK »

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
Thanks for the input Jason.  I have zero knowledge in the speed area.  I'm doing the event because a friend needed someone for the kayak portion.  As much as I'd love a sea kayak, I'm not able to buy one right now.   :-\    Just as a note, I'm ~210, 5' 8" and not tubby. 

jself

I meant I would set you up with the demo....Not sell you stuff. ::) If it was just for a couple days, the rental would be $80. I'm sure I could give you a NWKA special price on that if I'm there when you pic it up. ;)

jself

Thanks for the input Jason.  I have zero knowledge in the speed area.  I'm doing the event because a friend needed someone for the kayak portion.  As much as I'd love a sea kayak, I'm not able to buy one right now.   :-\    Just as a note, I'm ~210, 5' 8" and not tubby. 

I'm pretty sure the xplore would fit you. I'd sit in it before you took it to make sure. If that doesn't work, the WS Tempest 170 fg would be a pretty good bet. Easy going yet still pretty fast. It's a single, medium-hard chined boat at 17f' X 22" vs. the multi-chine tsunami at 14' x 24".

If you wanted to go ultra-affordable rental, I've got some good plastic boats like the P&H scorpio, WS tempests, Valley Aquanaut HV, Venture Easkies, etc. that normally rent for $50 a day minus the Nanook hookup.

Jason

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
The race is this Sunday.  Wish me luck and good weather!  Hopefully no freakin' wind!