Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:38:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[Today at 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Official ORC Forecast Panic Thread  (Read 10910 times)

jself

Anyone hear from Zee lately?  I brought on a new donor/donation last week, PM'd him, and haven't heard back.  His last active day was the 8th and last post in May.

Went to register Chris and I and the link on this page the other day and got an error.  Now it's all wigged out.  http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,4485.0.html returns an error.  Tried registering with the link in the sidebar and it wants to send payment to "madness@theslayride.com"

If anyone else used the sidebar link did it get accepted?  Just kinda paranoid about making payment if it's not Zee or someone official and that it may have been hacked.

I see Spot is modifying the prizes on that page.  Please get with me ASAP.

I finally got off my bottom and registered using the sidebar today.  Let me assure you, it works.

madness@theslayride.com is indeed the correct link to the ORC account.

Sniffer, I'll drop you a PM shortly.

As for the ocean:
We're still 6 days out.  The long range forecasts agree that there will be some swell but 2 of the models I've looked at are calling for 6' or less.  If it's within a couple of feet, the original venue will still be very doable.

Unfortunately, final planning for an event this size can't be performed by committee. So, I'm reserving sole right to piss everyone off. Don't worry folks, I want this to be salty as bad as you do.

The fingers on the south jetty in Newport are still and option though hopefully we won't need to resort to it.  I'll keep monitoring the conditions leading up to the ORC2010 and let y'all know what I'm planning.

I'm showing a 1ft drop from yesterdays model....down to 5.5ft with a 7ft overhead at Florence. Does it really matter? I haven't boated around Depoe Bay, but it seems like you wouldn't really get full swell in the "bay" outside the boat basin. seems like the reef would take care of most of it. Am I correct?

J

jself

"madness" is Zee.  It's the same account it always goes to.  It's safe, unless Zee turns into a carny or something.

If the ocean doesn't cooperate, we should turn it into the Siletz river Chrome-Off tournament.

I disagree.  At least not officially using the prizes/proceeds that were aimed towards the ORC.
I myself haven't got any gear for that, nor the tags for it. I wasn't going to target tagged species this year due to my blown trailer budget.

I strongly feel that if we don't plan the backup venue at the beginning, it makes no sense to just switch last minute.  

Now, we could go ahead and have a make shift clinic on the river to practice our Tuck and Roll maneuvers.....I mean fall out and get back in maneuvers.  We'll probably have some chicks and kids out there, so getting them some practice would be cool.  

Maybe some paddling technique, kayak tug of war, kayak version of "Smear the Queer", kayak bumper cars, etc..

I have no problem leading some clinics if people want/need that. I wasn't planning on competing to heavy (or at least keeping any prizes I may/may not win  >:D) I'm pretty much open, what ever you guys want/need me to do I'm fine with. If we get totally blown out at Depoe......just keep me in mind for backup entertainment.

J

PS- Palaegic.....am I still cool to squat on your camp site? I'm showing up low budget and last minute.....If not, does anyone else want to share a site? No problem splitting cost with you. Planning on coming Friday afternoon and leaving Sunday AM.

J

PSS-I prefere "sharks and minnows"

PSSS- in fact, why don't we just plan on a Friday late afternoon clinic. We could work on a little edging/bracing/forward stroke/directional control/re-entry.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 09:59:55 AM by NANOOK »

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007

So if its within a couple of feet, will it still be very doable for a greenie like myself? Considering of course that this will be the first time on the ocean for me.  :-\

It may push your comfort level a bit but the decision will be made based on what I and some of our saltiest members consider safe and sane for Everyone.

If you're not familiar with the salt, I recommend you take some dramamine an hour or so before paddling out.  You won't be pushing thru any breaking surf but if there's swell, you will be constantly in motion.

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Internet access? 

Who needs to their Facebook fix so bad that they chose this place for WiFi? :computer: 

I'm just teasing, I totally respect those that have the need to maintain their garden/farm religiously.  In fact, I know The Nothing keeps his garden/farm up to date between bites out in his kayak on his iPhone.  ;D

Hopefully those in the decision making chair will be using the interweb access to keep others updated as to any last minute changes to launch sites etc. etc (due to ocean conditions).  The current predicted  conditions will turn me into a serious "fence sitter" and knowing where, when or if at all, to show up on early Saturday AM will be critical.  Its early days and forecasts can and have changed, lets keep our fingers crossed

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Man I was ready for a nice hot day on the ocean, but it looks like it won't even break 60 at Depoe Bay.  Guess I'll be packin' me fleece and waders!

Rory

• Sturgeon
  • Rory's Internets Audio Blog
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

jself

If it's 8ft@11s and 20kt wind I'll be fishing the hole inside. We'll just have to see! If it's bigger than that I might be given yaknitup that warm eevoo back rub and thinking of my happy place. :-\

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
If it's bigger than that I might be given yaknitup that warm eevoo back rub and thinking of my happy place. :-\

And don't forget to bring me my damn Evian bottled water and fresh fruit! I only drink Evian!

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
....wait a minute....

Why do we now have two threads.....   Oh, haha! "Official ORC Forecast Panic Thread"

Good one Mark!   ::)

2011 Angler Of The Year
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

jself

not trying to incite panic, just trying to get a handle on how this thing is going to go down.

Really just trying to make sure it aint me that's in charge of pulling people out of the drink ;)

jself

probably just jinxed myself! it will be me you pull out of the drink!

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
not trying to incite panic, just trying to get a handle on how this thing is going to go down.

Really just trying to make sure it aint me that's in charge of pulling people out of the drink ;)

Nobody's gonna need to pull anybody else out of the drink.

I broke the topic free to give people a quick reference to a discussion on the latest forecasts.

Also, it keeps the ORC Planning thread a little (and I do mean a l i t t l e) less diluted.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
Latest Updates as of Monday June 14th.   
Keep in mind that this far out it don't mean squat yet.

Magic Seaweed has it:
5-6' Swell
10-11sec Period
2-3 Knots out of the NNW

Wetsand forecasts
5' Swell
Some ridiculously long period
8-12MPH out of the NNW

NOAA suggest
7' Swell
No period attempt
20 Knot winds out of the North

Lola says
"You need to pay a ton of money to see our long range forecast..."
Sheesh!

Sponsors and Supporters:

Tournament Results:

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
iwindsurf forecast for Newport as of 6/14: 8 to 10 mph winds out of the NW in the morning, then building to 15 mph by 5pm.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 10:09:57 PM by yaknitup »

2011 Angler Of The Year

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
If it's 8ft@11s and 20kt wind I'll be fishing the hole inside. We'll just have to see! If it's bigger than that I might be given yaknitup that warm eevoo back rub and thinking of my happy place. :-\

What?  :angry4:

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

anything