Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:57:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Results From the Next Adventure Kayak Fishing Tournament  (Read 7135 times)

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Thanks to everyone who showed up today to make the First Annual Willy Dino Tournament a success.   There were ten competitors who for the most part split into two groups, one on the Willamette and one on the Columbia.  Even though I was fishing the Willamette I was hedging my bet towards the Columbia but in the end the Willamette ended up being the hot river.  First place went to Mark, “Spot” with a 39 inch fish.  Andrew, “Deepcolor”  came in second with a 30 incher.  Michole, the wild card came in third with a fish of unknown length.  In total 6.5 sturgeon were caught by 3 people.  More pictures are available on Next Adventure's Facebook page http://tinyurl.com/4v7uju7
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 08:39:45 PM by ndogg »

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Nate,
Thanks to you and all at Next Adventure for a great get together and celebration!!!  Now to retrieve my anchor in a week or two...  :(
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Congrats Spot. So what was the magic bait? ;) Looks like a good time had by all out there. Nice looking trophies and glad the hear the Dogg, Jammer, Rawkfish etc. and NA pulled off a nice event.

Z
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 10:34:30 PM by Zee »
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
congrats to Spot and all the winners. Glad you had fun. How was the weather?, It was dumping here...
See ya on the water..
Roy

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Congrats to Spot and all the participants!  Sorry I missed this one, looks like fun was had by all.

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Sorry to have missed what looks like a great time.   Will definitely make it next time.  Congrats to the lucky fishers!!!
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

yaksurf

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Congrats Spot and everybody else that participated.  Looks like everybody had fun.  Sorry I missed this one.
Dana
1st Place 2010 AOTD Sunset Bay Tournament
1st Place 2011 AOTD Sunset Bay Tournament
4th Place Gemme Shelter Six Annual Tournament
3rd Place 2012 Sunset Bay AOTD
3rd Place 2013 Sunset Bay AOTD
1st Place 2014 Sunset Bay AOTD

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
congrats to Spot and all the winners. Glad you had fun. How was the weather?, It was dumping here...

I didn't fish, but I hung out at NA to see the pics, and nobody came prancing/skipping in. Those guys toughed it out. They had three days of unusually warm weather and a sh!tload of rain. It sounded like the current and debris was no joke. There are at least two anchors still out there on the bottom. The shipping traffic combined w/fog sounded especially spooky.

My hat is off to these competitors, they put their a$$ out there. Especially the wildcard, in his undersized SIK.

Probably not a tourney you want to pop your cherry on.

Next Adventure really stepped up to the plate. Everything was well thought out, prizes were nice, accommodations were made for family friendliness, and the new SKU's in store seem to show their effort to making a serious commitment to our market segment.

L.B.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
In total 6.5 sturgeon were caught by 3 people. 

Congratulations to all.  How does one catch half a sturgeon?
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

steelheadr

• Sturgeon
  • Peterberger Adventures
In total 6.5 sturgeon were caught by 3 people. 

Congratulations to all.  How does one catch half a sturgeon?

Caught, brought to boat, then released due to high water and being in a SINK! This was a wise choice and still earned 3rd place.
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
Thanks guys, and Thanks Next Adventure!  The NA crew really stepped up for this tournament.  The logistics and format worked really well and the post fishing wrap up was awesome.  Pizza, beer, kayak fishing videos and a slideshow of the days fishing on the big screen made for the perfect post event gathering.

While I took home the big trophy, my victory wouldn't have been possible without Deepcolor.  DC not only shared his hard won knowledge of the site we were fishing but actually provided me with the bait that took the winning fish. 

A libation (Σπονδή spondee in Greek) is a ritual pouring of a drink as an offering to a god or spirit
Midway thru what was a very slow day of fishing, I edged up next to Andrew to chat and beg a little bait.  "We need to change the momentum here" he said as he handed me a Gatorade cup with just enough JWB to take the soaked chill off my bones. 
"Karma and comraderie will surely grant you a fish for this" was my thanks for the much needed warming.
And, as if on cue, DC's rod shook violently.  Taking the rod in hand, he waited for the 2nd hit and slammed the hook-set. 

Back on anchor, I called Steelheader over to take advantage of the extra clip on my buoy system.  "The spirit of karma and comraderie worked for Deepcolor so I'm expecting a fish any minute" I joked....just before my rod tip bounced....

How does one catch half a sturgeon?

It was my Spot of time.  The monster that got away.
Using the secret Gothic Postage Stamp bait, I'd hooked up on something big twice, only to be broken off on a rocky ledge.  After the 2nd loss, DC moved anchor to put him right over the slot I'd been casting to.  So, just to be funny, I pulled up next to him, held on to his kayak with my free hand and dropped a fresh bait.   >:D  Andrew took the opportunity to freshen up my cup. 

When our combined drag on the anchor line sent us into a spin around the eddy, I let myslef drift away.  The joke had run its course anyway.

As I prepared to paddle back over to Steelheader and my anchor buoy I felt that telltale vibration on my line and set the hook.... into the biggest fish of the day.  This fish was no joke.  All I could do for the 1st 10minutes was meter the amount of line it took.  As I wasn't on anchor, I found myself towed upstream, against a heavy flow then back down stream, then back upstream again.  When the fish headed for the shallows I called for support and my NWKA brothers didn't disappoint.

With Steelheader on one side and Deepcolor on the other, I brought the beast closer.  First to surface however were the two rigs I'd previously lost complete with hooks, sliders and sinkers?!?  They'd tangled around my mainline and forced me to handline my prize the rest of the way in.  With the leader in my hand, the full size of this fish became evident and I struggled to get it in a position to be tailed.

Y'all know what comes next....  The fish rolled and slipped off the hook(s), disappearing into the murky depths.

But, I wasn't disappointed.  I'd just had the best Slayride of my life and my friends were there to share the moment with me.  I'd gotten my prize.

-Spot-

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

deepcolor

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
I had a blast everyone.  Thanks to Nate and Next Adventure.  Congrats to Spot.  And a toast to old man river, who always responds well to a small offering.
...as soon as the Advil kicks in...

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
Another great contest! Congrats to the winners &, as always, enjoyed Spot's report!

amb

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Thanks to Next Adventure for putting on a classy kayak fishing tournament.  It was a lot of fun, and gave me a chance to get out and break in the new year.  I opted for the Columbia, and was not disappointed when I saw other kayaks out there getting after it.  It was a good chance to open the 2011 season.

This was a quality tournament.  Captain's bag (a nice dry bag) with some swag, a tee shirt, pizza and a raffle, all after some fun on the water.  Everyone at Next Adventure was nice and friendly, easy to work with.  They are on my radar now when I need any kayak gear.

I'm looking forward to doing it again.  Thanks Next Adventure for putting on a classy event -

Alan

steelheadr

• Sturgeon
  • Peterberger Adventures
It doesn't look too good for anchor retrieval any time soon...  :(