Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:34:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 08:45:55 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Chartplotter/Fish finder combo worth it?  (Read 4236 times)

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Is it worth the extra coin to get a combo gps/fishfinder? Im looking at getting the elite gold. Ive found it for 345.00. Or I could get just the fish finder version for 160.00. Seems to me there is only so many places you can go with a yak and you should be able to remember where that was at where you caught the fish. Also them fish move around a lot too so how good will that info be? I already have a nice handheld unit that I think I can get marine charts on it. I have the garmin oregon.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I mainly like the gps to keep track of my trolling speed.  And, as I have found out at B-10 in the strong incoming tidal currents, trolling DIRECTION.  It is a quite surprising when you are trolling at 1.7 mph and you quit pedaling/paddling only to realize your trolling speed is increasing.  :o  But, if you have a handheld you like, that works too.  I have a handheld, but I am looking at the combo FFs because it is one less thing to have to worry about.

CraigVM62

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
There was a great thread regarding this a month or two ago.  I will see if I can find it and post a link.
The general response is those that have the combo's are happy they made the purchase.   The two common reasons were relocating / giving hot spots to others and the ability to track speed and distance traveled.   

I know right off the bat I loved the ability to track my distance traveled.   My first interest in kayak fishing was for fitness reasons.   
I used to think that Bigfoot might exist. Then I saw the reality shows where they are looking for them.  Now I am certain they don't

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
There was a great thread regarding this a month or two ago.  I will see if I can find it and post a link.
The general response is those that have the combo's are happy they made the purchase.   The two common reasons were relocating / giving hot spots to others and the ability to track speed and distance traveled.   

I know right off the bat I loved the ability to track my distance traveled.   My first interest in kayak fishing was for fitness reasons.   
+1

yaksurf

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010

+1

+2

I like being able to mark structure so I can go right back to it.  It also helps a lot with trolling speeds.
1st Place 2010 AOTD Sunset Bay Tournament
1st Place 2011 AOTD Sunset Bay Tournament
4th Place Gemme Shelter Six Annual Tournament
3rd Place 2012 Sunset Bay AOTD
3rd Place 2013 Sunset Bay AOTD
1st Place 2014 Sunset Bay AOTD

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
i got mine for the ususal reasons everyone else does, find fish, watch speed and direction, etc.  but i fell in love with the ability to actually navigate accurately through some pretty confusing south sound locations. if you've never fished off Luhr Beach boat launch and navigated the mouth of the Nisqually, for example, you can get LLAMF really fast. Having the chartplotter makes it uber easy to get up river. 

there are some really nice ones out there for reasonable. trick is like everything else, don't break the bank, figure out what bells and whistles you really want, and oh yeah, don't break the bank.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
Is it worth the extra coin to get a combo gps/fishfinder?

yes  :D

I have the garmin oregon.

But is it waterproof?

"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Matt I have the Elite 4 and it's awesome. Gps/fishfinder combo, color, waterproof, waypoints, speed, and also the ability to "backtrack" up to 12 inches of screen shots in case you want to scroll back and mark an area you just passed. Not sure what the gold has that makes I almost 200 more expensive but I got my Elite 4 for under 300 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
If you already have a Garmin Oregon, it's more than sufficient to do everything everyone has already listed.  The only thing it can't do, is tell you what depth it was where you marked a certain point, and unless you're trying to create your own bottom maps like Wally, that isn't a big deal.

So, what it boils down to is some other factors:

1.  It's one more piece of equipment you have to keep track of
2.  It's one more mount you'll have to install on your boat, or one more thing to tether to your yak (cuz they don't float)
3.  While they are waterproof, I'm not sure you can trust them to stay waterproof on a surf landing, there is a lot more pressure/force involved if you go through the washing machine
4.  Have you checked to see how much the marine charts cost?  They may not even really be necessary, but if you do want them, they will be $100 or more.
5.  You can get a good FF/GPS combo for $200 to $300.  Lowrance elite? 4 or Humminbird 365i

anything