Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 01:19:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[Today at 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: My king fishing experience  (Read 2261 times)

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I fished hard at whiskey gulch this
Weekend. I probably spent 8-10 hours out there, half of that trolling. I had about 10 take downs!

I discovered that big hooks are a must. I finally landed one when I switched to 6/0 hooks. 

I'm a believer in the pro troll e-chip herring holders! Green color. In the instructions they say not to impale the bait with the hooks. Ummm. I recommend you do! I had 3 hits where all that was left was the head in the clip.

I had a  hit  without using the kone zone flasher. But I think it's worth using Green color as well.

I had way more luck in 30 -40 feet of water and staying close to shore. I mostly had the rig down at 20 feet using a 10 oz weight. I did have 2 strikes though using a 6 oz weight but depth of the rig was unknown. 30 feet of water though.

I spiced my herring up with herring oil using an injector.

Check your leaders! I had one break my line due to what I think must have been a frayed leader or a knot.

I only had one other king close to the boat. He was a nice one too. Probably would have went mid 20's to 30 lbs.

Ocean kings are awesome fighters. I can't weight to get another one on!

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Wow, that sounds like a great day on the water. Excellent detailed report, too. Thanks!
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa

dudemandude

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
dude! that is sweet! Congrats on the fish! I haven't tried out of Deep Creek, I just might lol. Will see when the time comes!

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Ignoring Kardnals advice I left a pretty puny snap swivel on my trolling set up today. One good hard bite from a king straightened it right out and I lost everything! That was my only bite for the day too! So USE big gear!

j-fek

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
nice fish!!! i use 2 4/0 hooks and when the take downs come i wait and wait and wait until i think there on and i fish 15 to 30 feet of water just a few feet off the bottom
here fishy fishy fishy!!!

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Sounds about right. Gear changes a lot from places to place even though it's the same species. There's a lot of environmental factors to consider too but It's especially different when Salmon are in different stages of their life.
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
You are definitely doing something right!  I have landed three kings off that beach over two years.  I have NEVER had a multiple take down days like you have for kings.  So I am also lucky I have never lost one I have hooked from that beach.  It WILL happen.  Last year I lost one king in Homer in October and I managed to land every other one I hooked.  That percentage likely won't last.

I caught mine this weekend on a purple troll herring (the largest typical size they sell in a tray).  Used a Buchhold fishcatcher 11 inch flasher and dual 6/0 gamakatsu hooks tied to a 50# fluorocarbon leader. 

The other thing you are doing right for kings is putting in more time than all of us!  You are going to get in the groove and the payoff will be great!
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com