Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:47:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 08:45:55 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Derby planning!  (Read 3279 times)

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Okay let's talk about this.
Launch point?
I'm  thinking whiskey gulch but it's kinda a narrow area for fishing. But it's nice to fish wherever you want. I plan on sticking close to the beach at first. I had way better luck there.

The current is gonna be heading south fast at 6 am and doesn't turn till 1030.  We would be at the anchor point marker in no time.  Course we could shuttle up to the stariski creek marker then drift south. And leave a vehicle down south. That way no big deal wherever we beach..

That being said I don't have hard time holding position while doing circles.

So far weather is looking fantastic.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 08:05:48 PM by rimfirematt »

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
6 am is a little ambitious for me. 

What are the restrictions for location?  If we started at Deep Creek it wouldn't matter how far we drift south, we would eventually end up back at the truck.  I would love to catch a nice king and win, but I'm a butt chaser this weekend too!!
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
I know 6am is early but if I think the fish will be more cooperative early in the day especially if it turns bright out. Not to mention its probably a good idea to catch that tail end of the tide going south so we have a return ticket north before it gets to late.

Im not sure where the boundry lines are for the derby. But thats a good point about deep creek. We could just drive down the beach to the 2 mile line and put in and have lots of drifting room south. course if you don't want to leave at 6 your not gonna get far when the tide turns at 10. You'll just get blown back into the no fishing zone.

Andy if you want I can sign you up on friday for the derby so you don't miss out. Are you gonna camp at whiskey gulch?

And yeah, I for sure want to get a halibut or two!

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
I guess I can handle one early day.  I'll plan on camping wherever the kayak crowd is.

If you don't mind signing me up, I'd appreciate it.  Ill call as it gets closer
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
I just remembered, rudy did this write up.
http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=7678.0

He mentions Whiskey gulch is the place to launch. Deep creek is out of bounds. Thats fine with me. I like whiskey gulch. Its deep, close and no boundaries to worry about.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Whiskey gulch is the only place we can launch for max effect.  If the current is flowing south, we just point north and peddle.  But we only have three hours till the tide change. To maximize the day, we want to be by the south boundary when the tide turns.   I bought commercial fish in the area for 10 years. Set nets slayed them and the drift boats caught nothing.  More importantly as much as I love the feeders to eat, the winner is going to be a spawners which 'sniff' every freshwater they can.  They will be right up against the shoreline.

The derby is sponsored by the anchor point folks. They don't want anyone launching at deep creek. I am pretty sure the boundaries on the north is the point you see after launching fro. whiskey gulch. South is anchor point...I think.

I can't remember but the derby ends at like 5 or 6 pm. We can't miss the launch. We'll get three hours headed south and then we have to hold and be by he takeout at slack around 4:30. Nothing worse then missing the takeout with a winning fish.  Remember this is a derby.  If you catch a potential winner the goal becomes to get it weighed ASAP. 

My advice is to throw "sporting" out the window. Big hooks heavy flourocarbon leaders.  Big flashers as well.  You will lose kings even with shark gear. Don't let it be because you used light gear.  No fighting the fish. Get it in the net as quickly as possible. If it looks like a winner don't bleed the fish like I do for all eaters.  It's definitely a different mind set from my normal fishing.

With RFM success this past weekend, I am motivated!  Reading up on AOJ and my past experience I am going start with running big baits.  Probably the purple herring.  I may take a lighter rod and if I mark bait, I may try to catch them with Sabiki rigs.  If they aren't sand lances I might catch a few then I might even try drifting live bait.  But the basic method is definitely trolling herring behind big flashers,  if I deem the bait is sand lances, I'll switch to smaller baits like I said in my earlier write ups.

Woohoo!  Let the games begin!!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 11:19:59 PM by kardinal_84 »
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
That clarifies it Rudy.  I thought Matt was on the right track here, much as the idea of a 6 am start doesn't appeal very much. At least at 6 the current is just past slack so expected to be less than 1 kt. I can wake up fully on that kind of water rather than waiting. It'll be ripping along around 4 knots by 9. So that's an ebb tide to be ride out before the turn will carry us back. Seems like the way to go to cover the most water.

If I can't manage to rouse myself for a 6 am launch, I think I'm relegated to fishing the rising tide from about 11 until 2 when peddling against the current won't be too difficult in the immediate vicinity of Whiskey Gulch. The max current on the flood is forecast at 3.1 kts, which would make for a big difference as compared to the morning ebb.

The southern tournament boundary is Diamond Creek, which is just north of Bluff Point. The derby ends at 6, and all fish need to be weighed at the Anchor River Inn by 7 pm.

I'm just going to look forward to a fun day on the water, with hopes of a King. Dave and I are driving down on Friday, and will probably camp too. Still mulling options there. Wish now that I'd checked out those cabins overlooking Whiskey Gulch, where folks were watching Matt last weekend.  That would make a nice alternative.

Glad you're feeling back to normal, Rudy. Looking forward to learning how it's done!

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Ok so who is in? Rimfirematt, Akfishergal, kenai guy(?), and me? Anyone else????

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ttb3sy
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
I got my bait brined. Put a healthy dose of herring oil in with the brine for good measure. Also some of them look down right holographic from the brightner! A tray of green and a couple trays of red. Bringing squid for the butts'.

I made up some trolling setups and wound them around some pipe foam for quick access. Everything is on corkscrew swivels or snap swivels for quick re-tying.

If I get a king on that's too small he goes back in. If my setup looks the least bit nicked, I can quickly set up another.

I'll be there by Thursday night if not day. Hopefully I can get some bait with a sabiki rig. The rumor is that the bait is herring that's along the shore.

I'll try and keep some tent spots available for you guys. We might be close together but oh well. The weather looks great so there might be a crowd.

akfishergal

• Salmon
Just had a minor change of plans -- I'll need to accompany my mother to see a doc on Friday right after lunch, so won't be heading south until well into the afternoon.  Still planning to be there -- but don't know when Friday night. 

Now, off to get bait and prepare my gear. Tomorrow's going to be a busy day.  Sounds like you're ready to go, Matt.

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
Shoot I had the truck packed yesterday. I'm gonna roll out tommorow late morning if the brides demeanor looks like she'll allow it. she's getting a little burnt out taking care of the kids and the dogs.

I'm getting pretty strapped for cash. Not sure if I'll be able to defend my yak at the auction! Each trip to homer is 150-200 bucks for me! And all I do is camp and eat hot dogs. I didn't even have a beer last trip.  Gonna bring a six pack this time though!

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
I'll be there Friday night (late).  Tent camping it.  Ready to fish!!!

Anyone sticking around for a Sunday morning jaunt?

9th place 2014 ORC

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
I just seriously bent the mast on my drive. Any one got a spare? I also don't have any tools. I never even installed the ones I have so I'm not sure how they go together. I'll see what I can do for now. Thanks! Btw fishing wasn't great and the catching was even worse. Pretty lumpy and windy

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
Okay panic mode is off. I got it fairly straight. Wheew! It was bent in a u shape! I'll see if
It dies down tonight and I'll test it out

akfishergal

• Salmon
Matt, I can bring a pair of standard fins and masts of you need them. Also, any tools you need, just name them. Dave's coming with me and he's uber handy.

anything