Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:38:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:38:44 PM]

[Today at 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Kayak transport- Hang it out the back!  (Read 1197 times)

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
I just updated my kayak transport equipment (recycled my old rusty hitch carrier and got a new aluminum one) so I wanted to share some info/images.  I have used this method since 2013 for a PA12, 14' Oasis, and the last 4 years my 2019 Outback (12.5').

I think "Hang it out the back" would likely work with many (not all) mid-size SUV, wagons, and minivans.  My current rig is a new design 2022 Tucson Hybrid (significantly larger/longer than previous Tuscon). I lay the back seats flat, remove the pass. seat headrest, move it fully forward and recline the seatback all the way so it pushes down on the rear seat. 

Support at the stern is a new aluminum ATV/UTV hitch carrier from Guide Gear ($119 from Amazon). These ride higher than normal hitch carriers, only mod was adding a 2"x2" carpet wrapped board to the back rail of the carrier.

The kayak is supported at 3 locations- just forward of the drive well (on the laid flat front seat), under the rear seat area (back bumper), and on the removable skid thing by the hitch carrier 2x2. I use a ratcheting strap to secure the kayak to hitch carrier and another to secure the rear hatch down onto the kayak. I often load up the night before if I'm leaving in the dark the next morning or leave it loaded for back-to-back outings. 

Up front, the kayak doesn't block my pass. side mirror or vision and out back, it hangs out 47" behind the rear bumper. I display my orange safety flag on the stern but technically, it's optional by 1".  lol

Big advantage- no need to unload or flip/lift the kayak or remove the seat/sonar/rod holders, just wheel it up and put the bow on the carrier to the drive well, lift the stern and slide in, pausing to remove wheels, load rods/net/crab pots/catch/Pepper, strap down kayak&hatch, and go.

Downside? a bit of wind noise when it's windy and I lose about 2mpg here along the coast (36mpg down from 38mpg with the hatch closed).  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 06:08:39 PM by rogerdodger »
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

kredden

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
You don't get any exhaust fumes coming in the back?  Generally I suggest people not do this because of the likelihood of sucking in the exhaust.

Kevin

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
I think if you got any fumes, they'd be on the level of annoyance,  rather than danger. Flying down the hwy, I doubt enough fumes would ever build up to be concerned about. To me, I think the bigger inconvenience,  would be not freezing! I'm sure you're blasting the heater some mornings!
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

Saltydog0

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2012
I like it.  My concern would be scratching the bottom of your liftgate.

I used to hang my Outback out the back of my 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse.  I had to remove the passenger front seat to do so.
I didn't do that long before investing in a roof rack system.

38 mpg is impressive.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
You don't get any exhaust fumes coming in the back?  Generally I suggest people not do this because of the likelihood of sucking in the exhaust.

Kevin

I've never had any detectable fumes get in, previously with my 2006 Saturn Vue (ULEV Honda V6 engine) and now with the Tucson (1.6T hybrid rocket ship that goes in and out of EV mode at highway speeds).  I always keep positive ventilation from the front, keeping the fan on like level 3 of 5, to ensure I am pushing fresh air from front to back.

The Tucson also doesn't have exhaust tip coming straight out the back, it points down under the pass side of the rear bumper.  On a rig with a straight exhaust tip in the back, I would probably add one that bends down towards the road a bit, reduce the potential for exhaust getting pulled back.   

kredden

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Ah OK, the positive pressure should help quite a bit.  If you weren't doing that (or have the windows open to get airflow going through it would more than likely create a negative pressure zone and suck in some exhaust.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Ah OK, the positive pressure should help quite a bit.  If you weren't doing that (or have the windows open to get airflow going through it would more than likely create a negative pressure zone and suck in some exhaust.

for sure, I would never open any windows in this configuration, fortunately, no reason to, except to let Pepper stick her nose out the rear window and that's only near home at low/city speeds.  ;D

I like it.  My concern would be scratching the bottom of your liftgate.

I'm not sure how pushing down a bit on the plastic edges of the kayak would scratch the bottom of the liftgate?