Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 09:04:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:58:56 PM]

[Today at 01:53:02 PM]

by DBam
[May 06, 2024, 10:23:23 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Hook2- improved mapping options?  (Read 4459 times)

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
I bought a Hook2 5 Splitshot last summer, chiefly for fishing on the Sound. It’s my first FF, and covers the basics well enough.

One area I’d really like to improve on is mapping detail. The standard contour maps are pretty crude/limited. I have the US coastal and lakes currently on it.

Is there a way to upload overlays or a finer level of detail? My dream scenario would be to have something like the NOAA bathymetry maps with contour lines (or overlayed with the standard topography on the device). I’d be good with adding for specific geographies only, doesn’t need to be universal mapping.

I was pretty sure this was an option when I was buying it, but haven’t had any luck finding info or vids since. Hence I’m appealing to the greater wisdom and experience of the NWKA crew for help. I’m fully prepared for “no, you need to buy a spendier model” which may be the eventual next step.

Thanks in advance for any advice, direction, humor.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
my Hook2 came with the "C-MAP Insight Pro" mapping upgrade free that comes on a SD card that you just plug into the unit.  Definitely a big improvement over the basic preloaded maps, worth looking into however I don't know how it compares to other mapping options on a value/cost basis...
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Might want to see if the unit supports SonarChart by Navionics. https://www.navionics.com/usa/charts/features/sonarchart.

I believe that Navionics started with NOAA bathymtry then crowd sources peoples depth logs to up the resolution and areas covered, best charts available on units that I've come across. If you're just scouting around you can use NOAA's multibeam bathymtry (https://maps.ngdc.noaa.gov/viewers/bathymetry/). Turn off everything besides (BAG Shaded Color Relief). This has most of the central sound covered and is the highest level you're going to find without downloading the BAG files into 3D rendering software (Easy View).

Here's a view of the old Gallupn' Gurdie under the narrows rendered with Easy View
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 11:37:56 AM by workhard »

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
Nice, thanks guys! It looks like SonarChart is available. I just ordered a reader accessory for my laptop, should arrive in a couple of days. Psyched to get some real detail.

workhard

• Salmon
Nice, thanks guys! It looks like SonarChart is available. I just ordered a reader accessory for my laptop, should arrive in a couple of days. Psyched to get some real detail.

Those charts are huge files. While Navionics is updating make sure not to do ANYTHING until is says it's finished, I forget what % it looks like the chart installer gets hung at... it might sit at like 26% for 10 minutes just ride it out or you might corrupt your card.

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
As mentioned, there are various Navionics map packages that work with the Hook2 line, depending on the coverage you want to pay for.  From what I gather, the Navionics maps are about as good as you can get for the consumer-level 

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
I was able to update the msd card with current SmartChart and community updates. The view looks pretty much the same- digging further online, it looks like I need to upgrade to the Platinum + package to get the finer detail and overlay ability?

Here’s what I am seeing, can you guys confirm this is the right path?

https://www.navionics.com/usa/platinum-638.html

I did see it listing for lower at some sites. Still spendier than I had hoped for but the current level of detail needs an upgrade, so will likely go this way.

Thanks for any feedback, and psyched to see folks out on the water next week.

workhard

• Salmon
I was able to update the msd card with current SmartChart and community updates. The view looks pretty much the same- digging further online, it looks like I need to upgrade to the Platinum + package to get the finer detail and overlay ability?

Here’s what I am seeing, can you guys confirm this is the right path?

https://www.navionics.com/usa/platinum-638.html

I did see it listing for lower at some sites. Still spendier than I had hoped for but the current level of detail needs an upgrade, so will likely go this way.

Thanks for any feedback, and psyched to see folks out on the water next week.

Here's an underwater point I took a picure of last year. It's much finer detail than the basic Navionics navigation maps

« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 09:51:19 PM by workhard »

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
That’s the level of detail I am looking for. Is that the platinum version?

Beyond that, are you essentially using the bathymetry views as an adjunct (I.e. separately/not integrated on the Lowrance screen)?

Thanks!

workhard

• Salmon
That’s the level of detail I am looking for. Is that the platinum version?

Beyond that, are you essentially using the bathymetry views as an adjunct (I.e. separately/not integrated on the Lowrance screen)?

Thanks!

Nope it's SonarChart which I believe you can get with all the tiers of the Navionics map. I believe all the navigation stuff is overlayed on the SonarChart.

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Level of detail is controllable on the Hook2 series.  If you go to the map view, you can add/remove details, activate sonar chart and also sonar chart live which is developed from your real-time reading from your unit. 

Fun fact: Navionics has a set of "advanced features" which includes tides that you can see on the maps/FF unit

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
You guys are frickin’ heroes! Thank you.

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
For kicks, this is a view of the same area (compare kayak track lines) pre-reset. Crude stuff!

workhard

• Salmon
Just a little better...

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Dawn patrol. What did you do to your settings to get yours corrected?

2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC