Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 05:00:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 08, 2024, 09:08:31 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:34:53 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 06:58:56 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Hummingbird "Fishing Buddy" Mount?  (Read 24154 times)

FLYRODR

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Been trying to brainstorm a method of mounting my fishfinder but only experiencing minor "squalls..."  I've got a Hobie Outback and am wondering if anyone out there might have some pics of their personal mounts.  If there's a manufactured mount that can be modified, I'd love to hear about it!  Thanks!
"FLYFISH FOREVER"

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I think CoosBayYakker has made his own version of the Humminbird Fishing Buddy out of some PVC and an Eagle Cuda fish finder.  He has it mounted in the cup holder of his Outback.

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,809.0.html

Most people however, use a more permanent mount with a regular non-portable fish finder.  Hint:  the transducer itself doesn't need to be in the water and can actually be mounted inside your kayaks hull and can "shoot through" the plastic of your kayak.  A quick search for 'transducer' on this site should yield more specifics on what I'm talking about.

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

FLYRODR

• Herring
I decided on the "Fishing Buddy" since I transfer it to my pontoon boat an awful lot.  I'm not certain its design allows for through-the-hull use.  The transducer is in the stem of the unit and most likely needs to be suspended in the water.  I just heard about RAM Mounts and will browse the web on these but would like to see any homemade mounts for this particular unit if anyone's so willing.  BTW, I'm kinda new to the site, been a hardcore fly guy for 40 years and bought my yak as a retirement gift a couple of years ago.  The best purchase I've ever made!  Now when the wife tells me to go exercise, I grab my gear and go fishing!
"FLYFISH FOREVER"

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I don't know of anyone here that actually uses the Fishing Buddy, but I'm sure you could do like Coosbayyaker and wedge something in our cupholder.  As long as it had a large ridge that the Fishing Buddy Clamp could easily attach it should work.

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I believe Pisco Sicko actually has one of these for his rowboat. So what's your 2 cents PS?

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I was wondering if you could just drop the transducer stick down through a scupper hole?   

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I do have a hand-me-down Fishin' Buddy, that I used for 2 years, until the transducer apparently gave up the ghost. Easy to use on the rowboat, as I just used the unit's clamp-mount to clamp to the rowboat rail. The previous owner cut the "stem" of the unit down to be able to shoot thru a scupper hole. I don't know how well that worked for him, since he ended up giving away the unit. ???

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
I think CoosBayYakker has made his own version of the Humminbird Fishing Buddy out of some PVC and an Eagle Cuda fish finder.  He has it mounted in the cup holder of his Outback.

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,809.0.html

Brian

I've since updated it with smaller diameter PVC and and a pivoting leg to kick up out of the water to lessen drag for travelling or if it hits someting in the water. I turned the plug that fits tight in the cup holder on my lathe. The cable and batteries go in the grey box. The finder swivels too..

See ya on the water..
Roy

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Verry slick!!  Now, to find that tide info...mebbe Fido knows something???
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

FLYRODR

• Herring
That was a nice set-up for your Hummingbird.  Unfortunately, I have the one-piece that has the transducer mounted at the base of the stem.  I couldn't use a scupper hole anyway; when fishing, I reverse my Mirage Drive and that allows me to properly troll backwards.  I'll keep plugging away at it...  thanks for all the replies.
"FLYFISH FOREVER"

yessnoo

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
i was reading on the humminbird website and if i remember correctly....humminbird gps units actually have the same tide and current information....if i understand correctly they are generated from goverment tide and current buoys so the T and the C your seeing and clicking on are actually Buoys.....i think lol....the instruction manual i was reading didn't say that exactly but it did say tide buoy....that was on the navionics software which is compatible with almost all brands of fishfinders though not standard on humminbird but is an upgradeable option...

as for map create which i think is the standard on the eagle but not sure....anybody know?
i had map create version 6 on my Lowrance handheld H20 so again a program that is compatible with many brands of gps....i can't remember if it had tides or not because i used when i was mostly in freshwater on my dads pb but i think it had the same thing
2008 Hobie Mirage Revolution Fish

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
when fishing, I reverse my Mirage Drive and that allows me to properly troll backwards. 

Hmm, OK I'll bite..I've never trolled backward, not even improperly.   ???
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 10:18:44 PM by coosbayyaker »
See ya on the water..
Roy

yessnoo

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
ya i was wonderin about that one too lol
2008 Hobie Mirage Revolution Fish

bjoakland

• Salmon
  • Piscis Venator
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
•• If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~ Doug Larson ••

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I've heard of this done from quite a few people in different applications. Simply you put the drive in backwards from the regular way. This way the fins are facing the opposite direction so when you pedal you go in reverse. I've heard of some bassers using this technique to pull bass out of heavy cover and some also backtrolling in light current. Like I said I've yet to try any such techniques so can't give any exact details but I doubt I'd use it anyway. Let's give it a try and see what happens!

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy