Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 02:37:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 08, 2024, 09:08:31 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:34:53 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 06:58:56 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Hummingbird "Fishing Buddy" Mount?  (Read 24152 times)

bjoakland

• Salmon
  • Piscis Venator
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
It makes good sense. I'm curious about the tracking characteristics in reverse....  might not need rudder as often?  Have to give it a shot.  Might have to pull out the bike helmet with mirror attached....
•• If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~ Doug Larson ••

FLYRODR

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Was surprised to see the response to my initial inquiry...  Trolling backwards?  It's the only really practical way to go!  I'm right-handed so I want to cast across my body (towards the left side of the kayak) and keep the shoreline on my left side as well.  Moving in reverse with all the aforementioned factors is the most efficient way to fly fish (my passion)!   BTW, my largest fish boated was a carp back in Kennewick; had to be approaching ten pounds.  Once hooked,  I made a beeline (in reverse of course) for open water where it took me about 15 minutes to bring it along side.  Of course, my camera was back in the truck.  Lastly, got my Fishin' Buddy mount figured out! (see the pic).
"FLYFISH FOREVER"

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Well I did try spinning the MD around and see how it worked backwards and I can't recommend it. First reason, it broke my rudder mechanism. Going in reverse the water pressure against the rudder pinched it against the hull and hyper extended it jamming the steering lever to one side. Next, the steering was very gimpy. You could feel the force of the water pushing against the rudder lever. It's not reliable and can put you in a bad situation quickly in moving water.

I tried to fix the rudder on the water but the damage was too bad. :angry5: Simply, the rudder was never meant to have such force put on it in that direction. In the forward direction the rudder can always revert to a straightened position with little or no stress. When going backwards the rudder actually gets pinched against the hull. Broken parts... no bueno. Now to fix it all....

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

FLYRODR

• Herring
When I read about your concerns over extensive "water pressure" against the rudder, I had to wonder just how fast you got going in reverse!  When I'm trolling a fly, I'm barely moving...  no noticable wake, nothing.  If you've developed some type of productive high-speed trolling method, I'd love to hear the details!  Sorry to hear about the damage...
"FLYFISH FOREVER"

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
??? could you give a detailed break out on your "fishin buddy" modded mount? i'm not so sure i'm understandin what i see :dontknow:
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
Broken parts... no bueno. Now to fix it all....

Z

i feel for ya bruddah, really i do...    :sad1:
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
When I read about your concerns over extensive "water pressure" against the rudder, I had to wonder just how fast you got going in reverse!

I was only going about 2-3 mph when I started to have trouble. The rudder was responding really slowly and getting pushed around when it finally gave the death rattle. I think if you're going really slowly like you're talking about it could be fine but just wanted to give a word of advice from a schmuck who's got his head up his yak for the next few hours.. :P

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year

FLYRODR

• Herring
To "WanderingR..."  Got around to taking a pic of the mount system I came up with in my sleep.  I simply utilized a Scotty Flyrod holder (including mounting base) and a section of PVC pipe fitted to the mounting collar.  With a little filing, drilling, and cutting, it's totally adjustable and works like a champ!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 03:10:14 PM by FLYRODR »
"FLYFISH FOREVER"

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
thank you, those pics give me a far better idea about your mod. that looks like a great little system you rigged up.

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
When I read about your concerns over extensive "water pressure" against the rudder, I had to wonder just how fast you got going in reverse!  When I'm trolling a fly, I'm barely moving...  no noticable wake, nothing.  If you've developed some type of productive high-speed trolling method, I'd love to hear the details!  Sorry to hear about the damage...

I think Z only knows one speeed! Turbo!!. Alot more force on that sail of a rudder ya got. What was broken? was it the pin holding the rudder  to the yak or internal workings?

I popped the pin partially out taking mine out of the shed and it wiggled lose on the water and bent to heck, then i could only turn one direction. My buddy Ralph towed me in. Ya, i know i could have paddled but who could pass up a free ride  :) . luckily those pins are very pliable and i was able to pop it back in with no other issues.
See ya on the water..
Roy

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
You know I think you're right CBY. Most likely it was the big rudder that gave it so much resistance. The lines inside had been stretched funny and they got stuck. I just opened it up and popped it all back into place. I guess I could have fixed it on the water but that 17" AOTY LMB was in my head and I had to get back to fishing. ;D I still wouldn't really recommend using the MD in reverse just because it hasn't been engineered to be used that way so you could be out a functioning yak. No good when the madness... I mean the cure has got a death grip on you..... ::)

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year

anything