Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:35:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Nehalem Bay 7/24  (Read 2017 times)

Nibbyak

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Nov 2020
Yo Bros,

Relative newby, but good in the water.  Planning on heading down to Nehalem tomorrow morning, putting in about 0800 and fishing the full incoming.  Any heads up and words of warning would be appreciated.  I read on ODFW to stay below the Miami bridge. 

How is the current on the outgoing?  I was in Tillamook the other day and with the incoming plus a 20k wind it was a real challenge crossing the channel to the inside the bay.  Is Nehalem as nautically challenging as Tillamook?

Also, do y'all usually just use a spinner, spoon, or a flasher with a spreader and weight, when going for  salmon?

Any input for this lowly newby would be appreciated.

LawyerBob

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Here's a video showing a pretty standard trolling setup.

If you launch at Wheeler (public boat launch), then paddle into the bay it'll be a lot more sheltered than Tillamook. However, the wind looks like it's going to get pretty gross starting around 11am to noon 7/24.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Put in at wheeler or Nehalem boat launch you should be fine unless it’s a big exchange (didn’t look) m and you put in close to the mouth. There will be a group of us will be up river with some veterans doing the HOW event (Heroes On the Water) cutthroat fishing.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Nibbyak

• Krill
Many thanks for your words of wisdom and sage advice oh great and powerful Ozyak.  I will heed.

Nibbyak

• Krill
And LawyerB, thanks for that videolink.  While I've been practicing a lot, getting the length of leader, weight line, and all that stuff still isn't "natural" for me.  So thank you.  I was wondering about the wind tomorrow, but thought maybe just drop in at 0800 and if it gets knarly, just exit.  I have a pedal yak, and can go against current wind pretty handily, but its by no stretch fun

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Don't go farther downriver than the bend at the state park. If you do and can't get back, the state park boat ramp (or even the air strip beach) is an emergency fallback.

High winds will make things sporty. I would suggest confining yourself to between the south/west end of town at Wheeler and the "picket fence" at 45.70183258941576, -123.88761691501392. In fact that marker is an excellent spot to find a fish and just going up and down a few hundred yards in a loop is a favored strategy.

The docks at the state boat ramp up by 101 will be high and dry at low tide, which is problematic for power boaters, but with a kayak you can park, unload, rig up, and roll down the ramp and into the water and be gone in a flast. Mind the shallow water in the middle of the river.

Always drop your rig and flasher while underway, holding on to your cannonball until you have about 6' out and see nothing is tangled.

You will be trolling in 8-15' of water most of the time. There is some 20' water down by wheeler in the main channel. With things that shallow you can run your line at a shallower angle 30deg instead of 45, using a lighter weight (4-6oz) to allow yourself more setback at depth.

The river is not very snaggy in that area, as a general rule. While underway, get yourself down to the cannonball hitting bottom, then bring it up a foot or two.

Run your drag on the loose side. When you think you are hit, just keep pedaling until the rod tip really buries, then pedal harder. With a soft drag and the clicker on you'll make a bit of noise but not have any trouble with a snag, and if it is a fish you'll have immediate pressure on the fish.

Remember the salmon will bite the fish from behind to cripple it, then will let go and try to maneuver it so it is head first down the gullet. Grabbing the rod and setting the hook too aggressively will pull your herring out of its mouth while he is still working it. Let the fish more or less hook himself - you will know when the rod REALLY bends. Until then just keep pedaling and getting ready.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Nibbyak

• Krill
Wow...Pinstriper.  Really appreciate the detail and content of your advice which could only have come (one would assume) from experience.   Getting solid advice like this is one of the primary reasons why I joined this board. 

Decided to postpone until the wind forecast indicates less than turbine levels.

Nibbyak

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
The bay was full of weeds on Wednesday.  I tried fishing it between pulling up crab pots, but I think the extreme tide changes pulled a bunch of marsh grass out because it was everywhere.

They are catching them at the mouth, but I did not see any caught up by the state park or Wheeler, but I was also the only one trying to fish up there.  If you fish the mouth, you really need to understand the tides because the current really moves there.  There is a beach on the north side that you could land at if you get into trouble, but I agree with Pinstriper that you should not try to go past the bend.  Ride the end of the outgoing down to there and fish the slack and incoming there until the current pushes you back to the launch.

Nibbyak

• Krill
Thank you for the insight and experience based advice. 

Does the warning about tide include incoming, or mainly outgoing?

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Thank you for the insight and experience based advice. 

Does the warning about tide include incoming, or mainly outgoing?

I think he mainly meant the outgoing, although the incoming will definitely push you up into the bay, so if you're not prepared for that it might be a problem. To give some perspective, the 2 places that rent dingys to go out crabbing don't allow you to go that close to the mouth with 10hp outboards.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
There has been at least on recent capsizing of a pb  (been on out of state vaca for 4 days) at the mouth of the Nehalem. Troll from Paradise Cove Rv park to the town of Nehalem or anywhere in between and watch fir large tide changes to AVOID as they are rather fast from Tupperware. Minnowmagnet nailed a nice one a few years back on the inside of the island I believe it was, at Nehalem. There in there if you work for them….. just remember it’s “fishing“ not “catching”!

Hope to get out there soon with the father in law and his new used electric trolling Hobie Outback, I’m totally tying off on his stern, just saying

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”