Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:56:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: 9/11? Anyone Feeshing?  (Read 2797 times)

Nibbyak

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Nov 2020
I've been assured by the human female creature that live in the same dwelling as me that i am free to do as I will tomorrow.  So...I want to feesh.

Dungydog

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
I'll be launching out of Pacific City around 7:30. Looks like a nice window in the A.M.

-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I'll be fishing the Warrior Rock deadline on the Columbia tomorrow.
Bite was smoking hot Sunday...Without doubt the best action I have ever seen on the Columbia in this section of the river....From what I heard Monday was even better so I regret not going Monday as well. One "but": There were tons and tons of boats out....I am sure that will be the same again tomorrow. Launch at first light.

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Heading out of Depoe if I can find parking, otherwise it will be North Fogarty.

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Bite was smoking hot Sunday...Without doubt the best action I have ever seen on the Columbia in this section of the river....From what I heard Monday was even better so I regret not going Monday as well. One "but": There were tons and tons of boats out....I am sure that will be the same again tomorrow. Launch at first light.
Looking forward to the report. Can't make it tomorrow, but planning on launching at Blurock Sunday early. Maybe they moved up a mile or two :)
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

Timbeer

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
I’ve never kayak fished the Columbia and want to get out tomorrow. Where do you launch for Warrior Rock?

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
I’ve never kayak fished the Columbia and want to get out tomorrow. Where do you launch for Warrior Rock?

Austin Point. This is immediately downstream of the mouth of the Lewis on the WA side. Google Maps will get you there. A dirt road on the left (south) side of the West Coast Training grounds (used for crane and heavy machinery operation) will lead you to the river and you can drive onto the beach. So it is very easy access to get your kayak on the water. Note that access to Austin Point has been reduced quite a bit in recent years but for kayak launching that is not really a problem. If there is space on the beach you can park there (but keep in mind that the river has tidal influences....make sure to park above the high water line!) or, what i always do, drive the car a bit back up and park a bit further away from the water.

There is a few things you should know about this area as it is not the most easy spot to kayak from on the Columbia:
1 - The tidal influence is quite a bit stronger than in the Portland area. When trolling during the outgoing current you typically go 3-4 mph downstream and only 0.5 mph upstream. So that is SLOW. During the incoming tide the trolling speeds are much more equal. So based on this incoming tide is preferred.
2 - The river runs from south to north here. Wind is often coming from the north. Surely with outgoing tide and wind "colliding" with the current, choppy to very choppy conditions can be created. One day it was so bad that i got off the water after 15 minutes and called it a day..... 
3 - Wind in this area is often stronger than you'd expect based on the forecast (I always look at St Helens and Woodland as a reference).
4 - Right in front of Austin Point (and the mouth of the Lewis) are very good fishing spots. Unfortunately closed now:-(
5 - During outgoing tide many power boats anchor up, and you'll see hog line after hogline (making it a little tricky for trollers to find their way around). Those anchor folks drop their anchors in the fish travel lanes....

it is about a 1.5 mile upstream paddle to the Warrior Rock deadline.

The reason that i want to launch early in the am tomorrow is that the tide is then still incoming (until 8.30 am), so it will be a lot easier to travel this distance, trolling will be easier and no boats will be anchored up (yet). Also wind forecast for tomorrow morning looks very good.

The fishing grounds near warrior rock are around 40 ft deep. Most folks use a protroll and spinner, 12-16 oz of lead and 50-60 ft on the line counter. 

Almost forgot: Access/parking is free at Austin Point!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 07:52:58 PM by Stinger Hook »

Adrift

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2020
That’s a ton of good info.

Many thanks, sir!

Adrift

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2020
Is that area even open?

From what I could glean from the regs, it closed on Sep 4th. 

Or maybe I’m missing something...

Timbeer

• Krill
Thanks! As stated above that is a huge help and very detailed! I’ll get there at first light and fish the incoming tide. I’m in a blue Hobie Compass.

Timbeer

• Krill
I was initially looking at launching at Warrior Rock Lighthouse Trailhead beach. Any thoughts? It’s upstream of the deadline on Sauvie Island

builderbri

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2021
thanks for the info Stinger Hook. I spied that location yesterday on google map but I did know if it was open.I plan do go there on Sunday as it should give me an extra hour of incoming tide.

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
Is that area even open?

From what I could glean from the regs, it closed on Sep 4th. 

Or maybe I’m missing something...

Austin Point itself is indeed CLOSED for fishing. River is open for fishing from the 1.5 miles upstream Warrior Rock deadline and above.

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Another decent option that seems to be less busy is launching at Blurock Landing that is very near Vancouver Lake and just upstream from Frenchman's bar and puts you right at the mouth of the Willamette. Short walk to the water from the parking lot. Soft sand so beach tires are a help. Plan on being there first thing tomorrow.
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
Looking forward to the report. Can't make it tomorrow, but planning on launching at Blurock Sunday early. Maybe they moved up a mile or two :)

OK, so here's the report.

Got to Austin Point around 6 am.
There were some very deep potholes when driving down to the beach. I did not see them in the dark, which probably was a good thing otherwise I would not have driven down to the beach. Someone had a bad start of the day as he backed too for when launching a boat and got his car stuck in the river. He got pulled out but had some car damage. Hopefully not too bad and hope that it did not kill their fishing day before it evens started. Pushed by the incoming tide I paddled at 4.5 mph upstream so travel to the fishing deadline was about 15-20 min. It was BUSY. Fish were consistently being caught, but not at a rate as I saw last week. No love for me initially so I was getting a little frustrated. After two hours of trolling with nothing to show for I changed gear to a 11 inch protroll and 3.5 spinner (that also was producing for me last week). Five minutes later it was FISH ON.
As I was the only (!!) kayaker in the crowd of >100 power boats, i had a lot of eyes on me when I had the fish on. Luckily i made no mistakes. Nice chinook. As I'd left the cooler in the car and did not want the fish go to waste i decided to call it a day and not go after a clipped coho. The tide meanwhile had turned so I again did 4.5 mph on the paddle back.   

anything