Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:31:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:38:44 PM]

[Today at 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Kayak Restoration Questions  (Read 1234 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I have two problem with the kids' kayak that I'm not sure how to resolve.

The first is how to remove old GOOP.  I need to replace the fish-finder's transducer water bath puck.

And Craig, I need to replace it because it's damaged - smushed to where it wont hold the transducer or water.  I'm not just over-complicaing stuff.

The GOOP is as hard as a rock.  I've never seen GOOP get this hard nor cling this tenaciously.  Does anyone know how to remove old, rock-hard GOOP?

Second is working with some of the straps that are stiff.  They aren't sun-damaged, they're just very stiff, making it hard to adjust the seat back.  I haven't tried anything to get them more subtle, yet, because I wanted to ask you fine folks if you've ever had to do this.  I haven't.

The sooner I can get the strasp to wriggle and can get the puck out, I'm done - and I am looking forward to that day.

I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Thanks.  I'd read about toluene, but after they removed it from Goof Off, it's near impossible to find.  But... methyl ethyl ketone softened it enough for me to slide a putty knife under the Goop to pry the puck out.

And I still have all my fingers.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Check the area you used MEK on for solidity.... I can't find anything published but I recall that junk being dangerous to plastics... and, d'oh!! Toluene is even worse... that I know from experience
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Check the area you used MEK on for solidity.... I can't find anything published but I recall that junk being dangerous to plastics... and, d'oh!! Toluene is even worse... that I know from experience

I had the MEK around from when I was dying PVC pipe to match the color of a Trident I no longer have so I could use the pipe to secure the tip of my fly rods when launching and landing and thus, the pipe had to be color-coordinated because - DUH - fly fishing... but that's a different story, isn't it?

From my somewhat limited experience, it doesn't penetrate the plastic to any significant extent the way I use(d) it. It's primary commercial use is to soften rubber, so it did a fine job of softening the GOOP enough to allow me to peel it off the way GOOP is supposed to behave.

Plus, I washed the whole inside of the kayak when I was done.  I even used soap.

Thanks for the heads up, Mr. R.  One can never be too careful when fooling around with strong industrial solvents.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND NOR ENDORSE USING METHYL ETHYL KETONE AT HOME FOR ANY PURPOSE OR FOR ANY REASON.  It's seriously nasty stuff, and I have no idea what I was thinking when I wrote about using it.  Obviously, exposure to the fumes killed off more neurons than I thought.